Canada Welcomes HAP-Z1ES

coffeebob

Canada Welcomes HAP-Z1ES
« on: 27 Jul 2014, 05:29 pm »
My new level 3 modded HAP-Z1ES just arrived from Vinnie a few days ago. This is to replace my Mac-Mini and external DAC.  I also had Vinnie upgrade the HD to a 1TB SSD.  Music transfer from my computer was pretty seamless once I established the correct network settings.
First impressions which I passed on to Vinnie was that out of the box the HAP sounded fairly bland and I even had to double check my connections (Balanced XLR) to make sure I had the correct hook up.
Next stage was about "what was I thinking",  " how am I going to unload this shiny metal box" . 
Fast forward to 20 hours of run time and I can honestly say that this is such a great addition to my system that the Mac-Mini is now looking for a new home.
I listen to almost every type of music and with my mac I could usually do an hour or two at the most before needing a break.
The HAP is so isolated and quiet that I have found myself losing track of time due to the tranquility and peaceful spacial sound it produces.
Vinnie says to give it around 100 hrs of break in so I can only imagine what the future holds
Will update on break in progress.

Stercom

Re: Canada Welcomes HAP-Z1ES
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2014, 09:40 pm »
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I still haven't had Vinnie upgrade my HAP-Z1ES but I hope to in the next few months. Keep us up-to-date.

coffeebob

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2014, 03:15 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  I do not have any reference points to go on since I have never heard the HAP without the Mods but have tried some fairly pricy Dacs.  I will keep you posted Stercom.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2014, 10:50 pm »
Hi coffeebob,

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for posting your initial impressions of your RWA-Z1ES-3-BAL  :thumb:

Fast forward to 20 hours of run time and I can honestly say that this is such a great addition to my system that the Mac-Mini is now looking for a new home.

I listen to almost every type of music and with my mac I could usually do an hour or two at the most before needing a break.
The HAP is so isolated and quiet that I have found myself losing track of time due to the tranquility and peaceful spacial sound it produces.
Vinnie says to give it around 100 hrs of break in so I can only imagine what the future holds

Oh, yes - the stock unit needs a good 100 hours and the RWA-Z1ES is no exception.  Please keep us posted as you accumulate the hours of burn-in and listening time, but it sounds like things are going fine!  :singing:

Hi Stercom,

It's going to get very, very busy for me starting September.  My current lead-time is about 3 weeks on the Z1ES mods.  Expect it to double by the Fall... lot's going on!  :shh:   :wink:   Just a heads up.

UPDATE:

I had an RWA-Z1ES-2.5 at Capital Audio Fest last weekend and it looks like more are coming in for mods in the next few weeks.  It's a really nice machine, and I was surprised to hear from so many who would love a SPDIF digital output (instead of modding the analog output stage).  It is something that I *CAN* do at some point...  but I highly recommend either/or.  Either you mod it ala RWA-Z1ES mods currently offered (using the internal dual dacs), or just mod for power supply and SPDIF out (and disable the unused stuff to make it a top-notch transport). 

Vinnie

coffeebob

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2014, 10:19 pm »
Vinnie

Thanks so much for sound advice  on the break in period.  Well I am at least 50 hrs. into the HAP-Z1Es and each day I can notice sonic improvements in my room.  My base has never sounded so refined and tight.  I am hearing new things in all of my music and just finished another  A-B comparison with my old  Mac Mini/Dac system and can honestly say that what sounded great before is not in the same league as what I am hearing now.  More to come after another 25 to 50 hrs.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2014, 02:15 pm »
Vinnie

Thanks so much for sound advice  on the break in period.  Well I am at least 50 hrs. into the HAP-Z1Es and each day I can notice sonic improvements in my room.  My base has never sounded so refined and tight.  I am hearing new things in all of my music and just finished another  A-B comparison with my old  Mac Mini/Dac system and can honestly say that what sounded great before is not in the same league as what I am hearing now.  More to come after another 25 to 50 hrs.

Hi coffeebob,

Thanks for all your updates!  8)

Vinnie