Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

OzarkTom

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #1380 on: 29 Apr 2015, 02:24 am »
Yeah I agree, I might check one out too...gotta check the return policy

You might want to call them and check stock. It says 4-6 weeks delivery as an estimate. I believe Music Direct has a 30 day return policy.

mjosef

« Reply #1381 on: 29 Apr 2015, 04:35 am »

Looks sharp.

jk@home

« Reply #1382 on: 29 Apr 2015, 11:25 am »
You might want to call them and check stock. It says 4-6 weeks delivery as an estimate. I believe Music Direct has a 30 day return policy.

Yeah, I figured it was more like a pre-order.

Looks sharp.
I have read of more DSP capacities, but I wish they would of made the DSP control to be totally disabled (I'm assuming not).

Folsom

« Reply #1383 on: 29 Apr 2015, 07:05 pm »
Where the internal pictures?!

OTom,you ever get the one I did cryo'd?

Odal3

« Reply #1384 on: 7 May 2015, 03:23 am »
Anyone had an opportunity to try the Crown with the AVA ABX comparator?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=134297.0

See link in this thread to some interesting input from a reviewer, and especially part 3 of the lengthy write-up.

"It seemed incredible, but I was switching sighted between a solid-state design and tube design of different manufacturers in real time, and when level matched there was no shift of any sort in any aspect of sound while listening to any piece of music! My assessment was confirmed by ABX testing, as the only time I failed the blind testing consistently was when comparing level matched amps! "

"Perhaps I should have softened my declaration that all amps through the ABX Comparator are identical sounding. They were the same sounding with similar speakers, and perhaps it’s good that the review went that course, for it might inform audiophiles who wish to transform their listening experience to select a significantly different speaker for maximum change to their system, rather than merely another similar speaker. It might also imply that it would be more difficult to transform a system through change of an amp than a speaker."

roscoeiii

« Reply #1385 on: 7 May 2015, 12:39 pm »
Crossed my mind too. Not sure if Doug the reviewer kept the ABX or not, but he is right up  the road in Milwaukee.

stonedeaf

Linkwitz LXmini use ?
« Reply #1386 on: 7 May 2015, 01:53 pm »
Has anybody used a pair of XLS to drive a LXmini setup from S. Linkwitz yet ? If so -what'd ya think of the combination ?

steve f

« Reply #1387 on: 11 May 2015, 04:46 am »
The crowns would be dramatic overkill power wise for that application. I'd look for a AV type 4 channel unit instead. I have a pair of XLS 1500's that are just idling along on a high efficiency system. It's overkill. The Minis are a nice speaker system, but I don't see the need for pro power. I'd look elsewhere.

Steve

tdinut

• Joe aka Joeinid on other forums.
    • Audioshark Forum
« Reply #1388 on: 23 May 2015, 03:00 pm »
bump

Anyone ordering one of these?

thepianist

« Reply #1389 on: 25 May 2015, 11:20 pm »
I have just tried a 2000 with my power-hungry Eminent Technology LFT-VI speakers -- some say they need solid 1000w per channel. The sound quality is pretty good -- the amp has decent control of the speakers, there is good  clarity, though soundstage seems a bit compressed compared to my self-made gainclone (with dual 7A linear regulated power supplies). The gainclone, however, didn't have enough power for the speakers.

As a modder myself, I have decided to make some changes to the 2000. However, I don't have the schematics. Does anyone know where i could source it? Or, does anyone which caps are the input DC-eliminating caps (I probably want to start from there)? Thank you!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #1390 on: 28 May 2015, 12:31 pm »
Can one of you Crown XLS experts PM me (and better yet also post to this thread) with a summary (recommended model, high/low points, tips)?  May need to replace 100 wpc power amp and am too lazy to wade through all 1388 posts.  Not looking for state of the art, could end up being a rather short term solution anyway.

From a quick search, some are saying THD is high, S/N ratio is mediocre, over-rated wattage, build quality is iffy, and soundstage is not detailed/convincing.  But for $300 (only need 80 watts peak) it's probably doable (especially short term).  On the plus side is the high value, DriveCore protective power supply, peak limiter, and to a lesser degree in my case the built-in crossover.

TIA

roscoeiii

« Reply #1391 on: 28 May 2015, 02:34 pm »
In a nutshell for me, it seems to like a tube in front of it. I'm using an iTube as a buffer with +6dB gain. True to its pro audio roots, it also seems to pair well with a bit of higher strength signal (thus the +6dB). A great fit for my power hungry speakers (SP Tech Revelations). Jackman and I preferred it to his ncore in my system, but preferred the ncore in his system. One reason could have been speaker differences, but we also suspected this might be because his preamp is quite forward. Also, I and other have found that the sweet spot for the gain is maybe between 1 and 3 o'clock, rather than turned all the way up. Loses some of the less desirable characteristics when not turned all the way up.

Helluva bargain of an amp. Really like mine.

stonedeaf

« Reply #1392 on: 28 May 2015, 02:43 pm »
I don't think anyone whose listened to one of these will say it sounds like a good A/B amp (better/worse -but not the same). Talked one of my friends who has enjoyed his Van Alstine St-70 for years into trying one out. He returned it within 48 hours. OTOH -I'm using two of these in a bar system that I've been maintaining for 40 years . I listened to two of them for about 10 days  in my home system and they grew on me. But it's a "different" sound -no getting around it. My suggestion would be get it from a retailer that allows returns -they are light enough that paying return shipping is not very expensive.

Steve

« Reply #1393 on: 28 May 2015, 03:30 pm »
..... and I preferred it to his ncore in my system, but preferred the ncore in his system. One reason could have been speaker differences, but we also suspected this might be because his preamp is quite forward.

Just a note, my SAS preamplifier, I can guarantee the "quite forward" character is Not from my preamplifier. Years and years of special listening testing, as well as customer reviews, confirm my preamplifiers does Not distort, lessen the depth of the soundstage to give a "quite forward" presentation. It also does not artificiallyl add depth/soundstage. It is quite accurate/natural to the recording. There is obviously another reason.

I just want to make sure a false comment does not turn into a false rumor.

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: 29 May 2015, 05:19 pm by Steve »

mcgsxr

« Reply #1394 on: 28 May 2015, 04:37 pm »
It was a long and interesting read, these 70 pages.

Thanks to the many who took the time and energy to try the amp, and share in the fun with shipping it all around.

Thanks to OzarkTom I ended up buying one today (Pomona posts, cryo'd 1500) and look forward to seeing how it plays in my setup.  No doubt will take a few weeks to reach Canada.

I expect my Totem Model 1's will be a good candidate for the power.  They are 4 ohm, and mid 80's efficient.  Most folks who rave about them, love them with 200wpc or more.  I figure the rated 525wpc of the 1500 should be an interesting mix.   I actually don't listen loud at all mind you, peaks at 90db or so via my iPhone spl app.

I will be able to try direct out of my DAC (modded Grant Fidelity DAC-11), and via a Yamaha integrated as the pre.  Could even try my Pioneer AVR as the pre if I get all motivated.

I will certainly report back what I hear.

OzarkTom

« Reply #1395 on: 28 May 2015, 10:41 pm »

OTom,you ever get the one I did cryo'd?

I have not. I sold the cryo amp to mcgsxr , now to get the other one cryo'd. I just had too many amps, I need to sell some of my others. The Salis 1500 is the last Crown I have. I may also buy one of the new ones and see if it sounds any different than this series.

Folsom

« Reply #1396 on: 29 May 2015, 04:22 am »
I have not. I sold the cryo amp to mcgsxr , now to get the other one cryo'd. I just had too many amps, I need to sell some of my others. The Salis 1500 is the last Crown I have. I may also buy one of the new ones and see if it sounds any different than this series.

Well, I suppose that's a good review :lol:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #1397 on: 29 May 2015, 07:07 am »
I have just tried a 2000 with my power-hungry Eminent Technology LFT-VI speakers -- some say they need solid 1000w per channel. The sound quality is pretty good -- the amp has decent control of the speakers, there is good  clarity, though soundstage seems a bit compressed compared to my self-made gainclone (with dual 7A linear regulated power supplies). The gainclone, however, didn't have enough power for the speakers.

As a modder myself, I have decided to make some changes to the 2000. However, I don't have the schematics. Does anyone know where i could source it? Or, does anyone which caps are the input DC-eliminating caps (I probably want to start from there)? Thank you!

Hello, pianist.

I think I've read every post in this thread, but with so many posts it's hard to remember if someone posted a schematic.

Does anyone recall such a post, or know where to find one?

Michael

mcgsxr

« Reply #1398 on: 10 Jun 2015, 12:12 pm »
The Crown XLS 1500 is up and running at my place.

Having read this entire thread, I will let it run for 24 hours before moving to serious listening.

I can already say that the Totem Model 1's do indeed respond well to more power.

I am running my modded Grant Fidelity DAC-11 directly into the power amp.   Gain pots set around 11 or 12 so far.

brother love

« Reply #1399 on: 10 Jun 2015, 01:47 pm »
mcgsxr,

Looking forward to your review with the XLS-1500 mated with the TubeDAC-11.