What's all this about old capacitors?

Bumpy

What's all this about old capacitors?
« on: 27 Sep 2017, 07:46 pm »
Can someone explain this please?

When someone buys old equipment the standard advice is to replace the capacitors as they age. New replacements will improve the sound.

But contrast this with the obscene sums of money passing hands for vintage capacitors. How does that work?

*Scotty*

Re: What's all this about old capacitors?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2017, 08:07 pm »
Electrolytic capacitors have a finite lifespan whether in an active circuit or sitting on a shelf somewhere, they will not last forever.
If the vintage capacitor is an electrolytic I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. By vintage I mean more than 15 years old.
There is likely a better sounding replacement with modern chemistry and construction, available for a much better price.
Scotty

Bumpy

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2017, 08:10 pm »
As I understand it Black Gates are electrolytically. Do you include them in your conclusions?

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2017, 08:12 pm »
Generally what people are referring to are the electrolytic cans in the power supply as they dry out over time and fail.

The vintage caps that are expensive are coupling type that are used in the signal path not the power supply.

Capiche?

*Scotty* beat me to it but as to Black Gates again it depends on how old they are and how long they have been in service.

Bumpy

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2017, 08:28 pm »
Well that sounds like a real mine field. Black Gates get progressively more expensive as the demand goes up, but eventually they degrade to being worthless. A real case of Caveat Emptor.

Bumpy

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2017, 08:32 pm »
Electrolytic capacitors have a finite lifespan whether in an active circuit or sitting on a shelf somewhere, they will not last forever.
If the vintage capacitor is an electrolytic I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. By vintage I mean more than 15 years old.
There is likely a better sounding replacement with modern chemistry and construction, available for a much better price.
Scotty

OK Scotty what capacitors would you select for a speaker crossover , say 47 or 100 uF that will have better SQ than BGs.

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2017, 08:43 pm »
OK Scotty what capacitors would you select for a speaker crossover , say 47 or 100 uF that will have better SQ than BGs.

For a speaker why bother with expensive BG electrolytics, just get a decent film cap for the same price.

If you absolutely have to get an electrolytic and want to go boutique try Mundorfs. And remember that BGs are not the be and end all, some people like them and some don't. Since they are no longer made they acquired legend status.

Bumpy

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2017, 08:47 pm »
Thanks.
What decent film caps would you recommend?

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2017, 08:53 pm »
Thanks.

Is this for the woofer or tweeter?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2017, 11:39 pm »
Thanks.
If you know the value and use of the caps you need, ask the question in the Sonic Craft circle. You will receive solid advice there.

Bumpy

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2017, 07:13 am »
Is this for the woofer or tweeter?

Its for the woofer - vintage alnico Altec 416 8 ohm

Bumpy

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2017, 07:14 am »
If you know the value and use of the caps you need, ask the question in the Sonic Craft circle. You will receive solid advice there.

So many categories :) I'll have a look.
Thanks

wushuliu

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2017, 12:50 pm »
Its for the woofer - vintage alnico Altec 416 8 ohm

If it's the woofer you don't need to go expensive boutique. Erse caps are a great budget film cap. If you feel you need to have higher pedigree then you can try Claritycap CSA. Both should be a step up from BG in this application.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2017, 03:46 pm »
For any and all capacitors, I would only use caps that were made in a major industrial cap manufacture's factory. It takes big very expensive machines and an excellent quality control department to make good capacitors.
Note that some boutique caps are made to spec in those big factories.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2017, 04:00 pm »
   Go to www.humblehifi.com[ cap shootout]  and read about cap ratings. For me personally Duelund hybrid caps have the most natural sound we have yet to hear from changing caps. Expensive ? yes. worth it ? Every penny in our opinion. Not a dealer of such.

charles

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2017, 05:14 pm »
   Go to www.humblehifi.com[ cap shootout]  and read about cap ratings. For me personally Duelund hybrid caps have the most natural sound we have yet to hear from changing caps. Expensive ? yes. worth it ? Every penny in our opinion. Not a dealer of such.

charles

Remember he is looking for very large values. Unless he's got thousands to spend Duelund etc. are not an option.