AppleTV upgrade Cable?

lextek

AppleTV upgrade Cable?
« on: 27 Nov 2014, 01:48 pm »
I've been using Tidal streaming to the AppleTV which feed my DAC via Toslink.  Wondering if the Audioquest Forest or Cinamon would be with it?  Now I'm using a cable I think came from Monoprice.

Meicheng

Re: AppleTV upgrade Cable?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2014, 04:52 pm »
I do the same thing and use a $30 glass toslink cable from the AppleTV to my DAC, but to be honest I don't think the digital cable will make much difference so long as it is passing the signal. 

srb

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2014, 08:30 pm »
I don't think an upgrade to an Audioquest polymer cable will make much of a difference over your Monoprice polymer cable.  A glass fiber cable might, but even that is questionable with the relatively short common lengths used in audio.

But rather than spend ~ $500 + for an Audioquest Diamond 280 strand quartz 1.5m cable, I would recommend the Lifeatec Silflex, where ~ $80 will buy you a 470 strand glass 6ft cable from the actual manufacturer of the fibers themselves.

Again, I don't know that you will notice a difference, but at least you will have spent relatively modest money commensurate with industrial/medical gear compared to a boatload of cash for inflated audio gear.

Steve

lextek

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2014, 09:52 pm »
I think I already knew the answer to the question.  Thinking about spending more than half the price of the AppleTV on a cable seemed a little silly.  But that's our hobby.I am very, pleased with Tidal-AppleTV set-up.