B135 integrated VS BP17/2.5B combination

R. Daneel

B135 integrated VS BP17/2.5B combination
« on: 22 Aug 2014, 08:02 am »
Hello!

Now that I have finally completed the digital side of things and the headphone chain, I would like to start doing some research on amplifiers and loudspeakers.

I am most impressed with Harbeth and ATC monitor loudspeakers so it will inevitably have to be something along those lines.

My questions are regarding the B135 integrated amplifier and how it fares in comparison to the BP17 preamplifier and 2.5B power amplifier.

1) I have read that the power amplifier section in the B135 is virtually the same as in the 2.5B. Is this true?

2) How about the preamplifier section? I can see that BP17 has balanced outputs but no balanced inputs. B135 on the other hand has no balanced connections whatsoever.

3) Would I be missing a whole lot with the B135 over the BP17/2.5B combination?

Cheers!
Antun

srb

Re: B135 integrated VS BP17/2.5B combination
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2014, 08:26 am »
I would get the B135 Integrated.

-  The power amp section is the same.

-  Ultra-short direct internal connection from preamp to power amp section eliminates dual XLR or RCA plug & jack connections in the signal path.

-  $2150 MSRP savings on the integrated vs separates is substantial and that money spent on better source, speakers or room acoustic treatments will produce a better sounding system within the same budget.

Steve

R. Daneel

« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:03 am »
I would get the B135 Integrated.

-  The power amp section is the same.

-  Ultra-short direct internal connection from preamp to power amp section eliminates dual XLR or RCA plug & jack connections in the signal path.

-  $2150 MSRP savings on the integrated vs separates is substantial and that money spent on better source, speakers or room acoustic treatments will produce a better sounding system within the same budget.

Steve

Thank you Steve!

Anyone else please?

werd

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2014, 05:25 pm »
It depends on your future upgrade intentions. With the preamp you can match it to any power upgrade. If not then go with the integrated.

R. Daneel

« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2014, 07:32 pm »
It depends on your future upgrade intentions. With the preamp you can match it to any power upgrade. If not then go with the integrated.

Well, I am really not the sort of person that likes to change equipment. That's fine for some but to me, it's pretty stressful as it is. Of course, this is my first serious audio system so I intend to enjoy it for many years.

But the B135 has preamp outputs, does it not?

I am interested strictly in audio quality. I can understand that separate pre/power combination will have greater flexibility but like Steve says, not necessarily better audio performance. I haven't heard any of the Bryston's amplifiers but I am sure they are wonderfully transparent and neutral and this is what I am looking for.

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2014, 12:41 am »
My recollection is that the 2.5B has a little more PSU capacitance than the B135, but the output sections are otherwise the same.
-Gary

srb

« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2014, 01:32 am »
My recollection is that the 2.5B has a little more PSU capacitance than the B135, but the output sections are otherwise the same.

The Bryston website and documents say "over 30,000 MFD of filter capacitance per channel" for the B135 SST² integrated amplifier, which I assume is likely 4 X 8200uF = 32,800uF per channel.

I can find no power supply capacitance specification for the 2.5B SST² power amplifier on the Bryston website or in any documents.  There are specs quoted of "30,000uF per channel" from vendors, but it is unofficial and anecdotal.

Steve

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2014, 04:34 am »
If you are strictly interested in audio quality,  and you like ATC,  get one of their active speaker setups and skip the amplifier altogether.   

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2014, 09:59 am »
The Bryston website and documents say "over 30,000 MFD of filter capacitance per channel" for the B135 SST² integrated amplifier, which I assume is likely 4 X 8200uF = 32,800uF per channel.

I can find no power supply capacitance specification for the 2.5B SST² power amplifier on the Bryston website or in any documents.  There are specs quoted of "30,000uF per channel" from vendors, but it is unofficial and anecdotal.

Steve

Hi Steve!

Okay, we can assume that power sections are similar enough but what about the preamp section in the B135? How does it fare against BP17?

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2014, 10:07 am »
If you are strictly interested in audio quality,  and you like ATC,  get one of their active speaker setups and skip the amplifier altogether.

Hi!

Yes, but I have multiple analogue sources I want to use and for that I need a proper preamplifier with multiple inputs.

Besides, I think ATC is a company that has a similar approach to Bryston since both seem inclined on highest possible transparency and tonal accuracy. I have no experience with Bryston loudspeaker amplifiers but their digital systems as well as their headphone amplifier reproduce audio this way.

Loudspeakers will likely be ATC but I need to do a lot more listening.

Cheers!
Antun

srb

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2014, 10:39 am »
Okay, we can assume that power sections are similar enough but what about the preamp section in the B135? How does it fare against BP17?

I believe the preamp sections are also very similar, however the BP17 preamp has a few additional connections; 8 stereo single-ended inputs vs the B135's 6 single-ended inputs and the BP17 also has the one pair of XLR "balanced" outputs.

Yes, but I have multiple analogue sources I want to use and for that I need a proper preamplifier with multiple inputs.

If you do decide to go with one of the ATC SCMxx ASL active speakers (and active loudspeakers do have some technical advantages), they have a single analog XLR input and are meant to be used with an external volume control or preamplifier, and the Bryston BP17 would certainly fit the bill for an active preamplifier.

For the smaller two-way active ATC speakers, it will probably cost you ~ $3000 more over the passives for the built-in amplifiers and for the larger three-ways, substantially more.

Steve

R. Daneel

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2014, 11:30 am »
I believe the preamp sections are also very similar, however the BP17 preamp has a few additional connections; 8 stereo single-ended inputs vs the B135's 6 single-ended inputs and the BP17 also has the one pair of XLR "balanced" outputs.

If you do decide to go with one of the ATC SCMxx ASL active speakers (and active loudspeakers do have some technical advantages), they have a single analog XLR input and are meant to be used with an external volume control or preamplifier, and the Bryston BP17 would certainly fit the bill for an active preamplifier.

For the smaller two-way active ATC speakers, it will probably cost you ~ $3000 more over the passives for the built-in amplifiers and for the larger three-ways, substantially more.

Steve

Hi Steve!

Active monitors might be worth considering since I already have a BHA-1 headphone amplifier which can be used as a preamplifier, at least temporarily till I get a dedicated preamplifier.

Otherwise, if B135 and BP17/2.5B offer similar performance, then I think B135 would suit my needs well.

If you know, can you tell me what's the optional MM phono stage for the B135 like?

Cheers!
Antun

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #12 on: 23 Aug 2014, 09:30 pm »
hi, Antun!

the BHA-1 cannot be controlled by a remote compared to the BP 17 and the B 135, correct?!? if so, then this might be a thought to consider.

al.

R. Daneel

« Reply #13 on: 23 Aug 2014, 09:57 pm »
hi, Antun!

the BHA-1 cannot be controlled by a remote compared to the BP 17 and the B 135, correct?!? if so, then this might be a thought to consider.

al.

Hi Al!

Yes, you're quite right. But I wouldn't miss it all that much as long BHA-1 deliivers as a preamplifier.

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #14 on: 24 Aug 2014, 09:02 am »
hi, Antun!

al.

Hi Al!

Yes, you're quite right. But I wouldn't miss it all that much as long BHA-1 deliivers as a preamplifier.

Cheers!
Antun