BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

drummermitchell

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1080 on: 27 Oct 2015, 12:31 am »
Well sully I guess you didn't read my last post did you.
My gear is on 24/7 has been for yrs and not a problem and I mean yrs.
you should maybe reread................... :roll:.
I will add I din't mean hardwire I meant the Ethernet connection :thumb:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1081 on: 27 Oct 2015, 12:32 am »
question for chris or james.

i listened to Tidal 'directly' through the BDP1 for the first time today....Dashboard > Applications > Tidal Beta  and seemed to work fairly well - but when i switched back to the Media Player to access tracks from my external drive (as normal) i couldn't hear the music. i could see the track playing like normal, but no sound. i tried refreshing the screen a few times, but no love. i ended up doing a re-boot and could listen just fine again. i listened from Tidal again tonight and when i tried to access my library again, i got the same result - no sound. i'm running version S2.18 . sorry if you've answered this question in a previous thread..:scratch:

cheers, TJ.

Did you clear the queue in tidal?

TJ-Sully

« Reply #1082 on: 28 Oct 2015, 05:10 am »
i'll try that next time, thanks C.

vengky

« Reply #1083 on: 12 Nov 2015, 11:08 pm »
Hi
I have been trying to update my BDP-1. All my attempts ends up with this message:-

"Downloading firmware filesystem
undefined% @undefined
Downloading boot drivers
100% @8
Downloading vmlinuz image

Running Filesystem Check: 5b13ffa02485e5da6e63020a05a92245 /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.new
:fecab6ed6f07e14f68a46972eb070c1cFilsyst em Check Failed: md5 values different
Should Be: fecab6ed6f07e14f68a46972eb070c1c
Calculated: 5b13ffa02485e5da6e63020a05a92245
You should try redownloading this version of the firmware and try again"

I am currently running S2.16 2015-06-19. Is there another way to download the firmware and use the update via a thumbdrive?
Thanks.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1084 on: 12 Nov 2015, 11:11 pm »
Hi
I have been trying to update my BDP-1. All my attempts ends up with this message:-

"Downloading firmware filesystem
undefined% @undefined
Downloading boot drivers
100% @8
Downloading vmlinuz image

Running Filesystem Check: 5b13ffa02485e5da6e63020a05a92245 /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.new
:fecab6ed6f07e14f68a46972eb070c1cFilsyst em Check Failed: md5 values different
Should Be: fecab6ed6f07e14f68a46972eb070c1c
Calculated: 5b13ffa02485e5da6e63020a05a92245
You should try redownloading this version of the firmware and try again"

I am currently running S2.16 2015-06-19. Is there another way to download the firmware and use the update via a thumbdrive?
Thanks.

Keep in mind you need to restart the BDP between update attempts.  Otherwise place the BDP into service mode and email me the service id.

vengky

« Reply #1085 on: 13 Nov 2015, 09:08 am »
Hi Chris

It didn't work unfortunately. So sent you the service ID via email. Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1086 on: 13 Nov 2015, 06:19 pm »
Some folks have asked for a Volume control on the BDP Manic Moose software.   It has to be engaged through the "Audio Devices" tab in Dashboard if you wish to utilize it.

Trying it out this weekend.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #1087 on: 14 Nov 2015, 09:40 am »
Some folks have asked for a Volume control on the BDP Manic Moose software.   It has to be engaged through the "Audio Devices" tab in Dashboard if you wish to utilize it.

Trying it out this weekend.

james

Hi James!

Does that mean you'll be able to connect DAC's outputs (like the ones on the BDA-2) directly to a power amplifier's inputs without the need for a separate preamplifier?

How is the volume control done and does it affect the audio quality in the digital domain by bit truncation?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1088 on: 14 Nov 2015, 10:46 am »
Hi James!

Does that mean you'll be able to connect DAC's outputs (like the ones on the BDA-2) directly to a power amplifier's inputs without the need for a separate preamplifier?

How is the volume control done and does it affect the audio quality in the digital domain by bit truncation?

Cheers!
Antun

Currently it only controls the BDP or SP3 volume at this point (maybe the BDA3 DAC as you need ethernet control)) and you do loose bits as you turn the level down.  For maximum performance I recommend leaving the volume fully up.  It is really just a feature some people wanted for casual listening.

james

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #1089 on: 16 Nov 2015, 01:59 am »
Currently it only controls the BDP or SP3 volume at this point (maybe the BDA3 DAC as you need ethernet control)) and you do loose bits as you turn the level down.  For maximum performance I recommend leaving the volume fully up.  It is really just a feature some people wanted for casual listening.

james

Hi James,

yes, I agree it would be a useful feature ... a volume control *and* mute for casual listening or if a quick mute is a must.

maybe I should post the following in a different thread, but since we're talking about volume controls, I will write a related personal wish here.

I think it would be quite useful a LED on the volume control, to be manufactured and sold as an accessory, both for the BP-25 and 26 - one which could be replaced by the owner or by Bryston.

It's not a blasphemy ... music sounds better in the dark (no visual input to the brain, only acoustic input running through the Connectome [ http://tinyurl.com/kn9a9oy ])
And if someone thinks it is a blasphemy, the choice would be a regular no-LED model.
Same idea for the headphones amplifier ...  8)

Cheers,

Fernando.

doveman

« Reply #1090 on: 16 Nov 2015, 07:06 am »
Question on cover art.

I normally use my BDP-1 with a usb hard drive directly connected, but after reading about potential benefits of a NAS I figured I would give that a go, since I already had a NAS anyway.

With Mpod app I would add the cover folder as 192.168.0.1/music/  for example and this would work fine.

But now using the NAS I have the music working fine but cannot get any cover art, what address/ value do you use ? the IP of the BDP or the NAS? or something else.

Thanks.

Ren

« Reply #1091 on: 16 Nov 2015, 03:11 pm »
Sorry if this has been covered recently; I couldn't find a related post.

I recently bought a Samsung 500GB T1 external SSD USB drive for use with my BDP-1.  According to Samsung, it comes formatted as exFAT. It is my understanding that the BDP-1 needs the drive to be formatted as FAT32 or NTFS.  So I formatted it as NTFS (on my Win7 machine) and copied a few folders of FLAC files to the SSD. 

I played several FLAC files OK from this SSD in my office via  Win7 - JRiver.  However, when I went downstairs and plugged the SSD into a rear USB port on the BDP-1 there is no joy.  The BDP-1 reads the volume name and displays the folder names... but won't open any of the folders or play any FLAC files.  Any suggestions are welcome!

lateboomer

« Reply #1092 on: 22 Nov 2015, 06:10 am »
Can I use BDP-2 to output ethernet audio to ethernet audio renderer? I think it is good to have the flexibility.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1093 on: 22 Nov 2015, 10:58 pm »
Sorry if this has been covered recently; I couldn't find a related post.

I recently bought a Samsung 500GB T1 external SSD USB drive for use with my BDP-1.  According to Samsung, it comes formatted as exFAT. It is my understanding that the BDP-1 needs the drive to be formatted as FAT32 or NTFS.  So I formatted it as NTFS (on my Win7 machine) and copied a few folders of FLAC files to the SSD. 

I played several FLAC files OK from this SSD in my office via  Win7 - JRiver.  However, when I went downstairs and plugged the SSD into a rear USB port on the BDP-1 there is no joy.  The BDP-1 reads the volume name and displays the folder names... but won't open any of the folders or play any FLAC files.  Any suggestions are welcome!

Hi Ren,

What version of the firmware is your BDP is running?

Ren

« Reply #1094 on: 24 Nov 2015, 11:35 pm »
Hi Ren,

What version of the firmware is your BDP is running?

It's running S2.05 2014-07-11

Mag

« Reply #1095 on: 1 Dec 2015, 03:04 am »
I've been using the SPDIF cable with my BDP-1, and just switched this weekend to AES cable.

The AES cable seems to be have more clarity but maybe it's just louder. So does anyone know if using the AES cable adds gain and if so how many decibels.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1096 on: 1 Dec 2015, 11:11 am »
I've been using the SPDIF cable with my BDP-1, and just switched this weekend to AES cable.

The AES cable seems to be have more clarity but maybe it's just louder. So does anyone know if using the AES cable adds gain and if so how many decibels.

Hi

It does not add gain but it has twice the voltage swing.

james

setamp

« Reply #1097 on: 1 Dec 2015, 03:49 pm »
I have an older BDP-1 and have always used AES output from the soundcard.  Has anyone compared the USB out of the BDP-1 to the AES output with respect to sound quality?  Any preference?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1098 on: 1 Dec 2015, 11:50 pm »

It's running S2.05 2014-07-11

You should upgrade to S2.20, I recently tested an exfat drive and it was fine.

Mag

« Reply #1099 on: 2 Dec 2015, 02:02 am »
Hi

It does not add gain but it has twice the voltage swing.

james

Okay, how does that translate to what I'm hearing?
Listening to Allman Bros. Fillmore East 1970, In Memory of Elisabeth Reed, Strasborough Blues and Whipping Post as test tracks. At 8 on my volume dial I'm perceiving the music much louder. I think I would have to turn it up to 4 on dial with SPDIF to be near equivalent. The guitars also sound meaner, more raw.

So with increased clarity of AES cable I'm perceiving the music louder, twice the voltage swing allows greater dynamic range?