New Guy

Rich48

New Guy
« on: 7 Oct 2015, 11:46 pm »
I decided to become a member of Audio Circle after checking out some good info in the posts on this site.  I have been into audio for a long time but now that I'm retired I have the time to get back into the hobby and start doing a little upgrading.  I have never owned tube gear before but have decided to give it a try.  I just ordered a new Decware SE84UFO2.  I have to admit that I'm a little nervous about buying an amp with only 2 watts of power. From what I have read low watt SET amps seem really special  and the Decware is supposed to give a lot of quality for the money. 

My current system consists of the following: 
Bluesound Vault, Audioquest King Cobra interconnects, Tandburg 3012A, Audioquest Type 4 speaker cables,
Monitor Audio Silver 5i speakers.   The SE84 will replace the 30 year old Tandburg.

I like many different styles of music but mainly listen to soft rock and Jazz at moderate levels so I don't need a lot of power in the amp. 

I'm looking forward to the new amp and will appreciate the advise from members of this forum.

Thanks,
Rich

Guy 13

Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2015, 02:27 am »
Hi Rich,
I own a Decware SE84C+ which is more or less the equivalent of what you just bought.
It's driving a pair of 93db efficient Omega drivers in a open baffle dipole configuraation
and I am very happy with the results. Best sounding system I've owened in the past 47 years.
I highly recommend any models from Omega.
Of course, the SET amplifier is only 2 wpc, but it's loud enough for me.
The only addition I would recommend is the ZSTAGE pre-amplifier, I donèt own it, but I might
buy it at a later date.
My sources are Rega Apollo CD player
and Rega P3 TT with Project Phono Box DC phono stage.
I would suggest that you buy an single speaker
(Full range or extended range driver) with anything above 93dB
bass reflex would be good.
If you search under Guy 13 you will find pictures of my system.
At a later date you might want to do some tube rolling,
but the tube supplied with the amplifier are good (SV83-6P15P)
I am now using Electro-Harmonix EL84 with a NOS RCA clear top 6922.
Hope this help?

Guy 13

srb

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2015, 02:31 am »
Rich, sounds like you're an audio hobbyist and not a vendor or manufacturer that would post under The Commercial Zone >> Industry Introductions?

Rich48

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2015, 06:15 am »
Guy13, Thanks for the advice on the Omega's
srb, I'm sorry if I posted to the wrong place.  I though I was posting to the starting block after seeing a message on logging in that said to do so.

Thanks,

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2015, 06:28 am »
welcome to the A circle Rich!

Blackmore

« Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2015, 10:54 am »
Welcome to Audio Circle. Glad you joined.