Buffalo Dac build

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Buffalo Dac build
« Reply #60 on: 17 Apr 2012, 07:51 pm »
It's the most impressive looking but I still don't understand how all of that wire will be a good thing for a very low voltage supply. 

What am I missing?   :scratch:

steve2701

• Isolation perfected.
    • Sonority Design
« Reply #61 on: 17 Apr 2012, 08:37 pm »
It's the most impressive looking but I still don't understand how all of that wire will be a good thing for a very low voltage supply. 

What am I missing?   :scratch:

All of 'that wire' that can be seen at present is basically very clean but also very raw AC, the 'magic' has yet to happen, at least it shouldn't have  :icon_lol:

This is all just getting the raw juice ready for final distillation for want of a better metaphor.
Things will probably become more apparent when you see what happens after the wallplate back in the office.
From that wallplate each feed will go via (very) shielded cable into a box full of these Paul Hynes PSU's.
They 'do their stuff', and convert the AC to DC, smooth it, de ripple it and that sort of really clever stuff about which I know not  a lot hence I let Paul do the (40+ years worth) of thinking & sorting out  :P
From the 12v DC side it gets fed directly to 5.4v dc regs.
The output boards are fed 15v dc.

All of this rectification / regulation is a bit 'noisy' & better off in this instance being done completely seperately from the highly sensitive DAC boards.
So now this very finely distilled DC takes its final journey via Chord Co (UK) very highly shielded, point to point wired cables to the DAC box.
Each dac board can accept 5 individual power supplies instead of just one.
Not only are we feeding each seperateely from it's very own regulated supply - each is kept totally seperate in the earth / -ve so that NO interaction - IM can take place their either.
Having two dac boards running in dual mono config  means I need 10 individual PSU's for them.
The other 4 15v psu's are used to power the two output boards which are mounted directly to the dacs.
It is a very interesting and somewhat time consuming project, but my personal preference is to do something once, and do it to the best that I can. The thought of taking this lot appart to add a 'better' sounding cap / resistor / etc etc somewhere later kinda chills me to the bone!
Thanks for the kind words - while I guess it does 'look' impressive - that is more function than design for a change 8)

steve2701

• Isolation perfected.
    • Sonority Design
« Reply #62 on: 18 Apr 2012, 05:45 pm »
Another quick update.
Had time to cut to size all of the brass angle. 10 for the 12v supplies and 4 for the 15v.

Made a template to make sure they are all the same spacing from a piece of (very) old angle steel knocking about the warehouse.

The template seems to work ok, so proceeded to mark out, drill and linnish up a couple of pieces of brass angle.

Brass looks great when freshly linnished - doesn't take long to mark with greasy fingermarks and tarnish..

I finally had a delivery of some more s/s fittings so that I could start and put some together to check all ok.

I'm happy with the results there so I'm a busy boy for a couple of days.
Just before closing for the day I finished off the scaffolding platform ready for the re-fit of the transformers :lol:

milen007

« Reply #63 on: 19 May 2012, 04:20 am »
this is awesome. tagging along to see the progress and impression :)

erwin

serengetiplains

« Reply #64 on: 19 May 2012, 04:44 pm »
Yes, awesome, Steve. 

steve2701

• Isolation perfected.
    • Sonority Design
« Reply #65 on: 30 Aug 2012, 06:55 pm »
Well after yet another forced hiatus, this time not of my making   :duh:  - finally the cases for getting the PH supplies boxed and wired up arrived today.
Yet to even be un-packed, they *should* be well worth the wait.
More updates and pics follow shortly, honest  :lol: