IDA 16 “Silence?”

rebbi

IDA 16 “Silence?”
« on: 1 Feb 2018, 04:30 pm »
Hi,

Just starting to break in my new IDA-16 and I have a question about the silence of the unit.

In the review in The Absolute Sound, the reviewer states that he hears absolutely nothing when he puts his ear to the speaker and the  amplifier is switched on. Is that your experience, as well? I do hear a slight hissing noise when I do the same thing. Of course, my speakers are substantially more sensitive than the ones he uses, so maybe that accounts for the difference?

Second, and more significant to me, he says that he hears no popping or clicking sounds when he uses the remote control to switch inputs, or even when he powers the unit up or down. Again, this isn’t my experience. I get fairly substantial “clicks” from my speakers when I switch inputs, as well as when the unit is powered up or powered down. Is this anyone else’s experience, and is it anything to be concerned about? I just want to make sure my unit is not defective or wasn’t roughed up unnecessarily in shipping.

Thanks for your advice.

Samac

Re: IDA 16 “Silence?”
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2018, 04:46 pm »
Hey, Steve,

I believe all is well. When my ear is within ~2" of my tweeter in can hear a hiss just like I have heard from any number of amps, be it tube or solid state.

There is a click when going from input to input and a series of clicks when powering up or turning off. They sound like relays to me. Again, clicks that I have heard from any other amp.

I hope you ar enjoying your IDA-16. :thumb:

Cheers,

Scott

Tom Davis

« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2018, 08:44 pm »
Yes, there's a distince relay "click" in terms of "on/off."

And as for a turn-on "thump" at the speakers, it's interesting: my right speaker has a very brief, very low level "thump" and my left speaker is dead silent. They are Rick Craig's 90db Selah Audio Estremos (another Audio Circle site).

slash71

« Reply #3 on: 1 Feb 2018, 10:37 pm »
I also hear a slight treble or vibrant noise on my hpa9+st-9 system. ..
nothing else , very dark silence , on my st-10 system.

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2018, 11:57 pm »
I have the 10s (DAC and ST) and I also hear the ´hisss´on the tweeters if I put my ears to it (Jason has explained that this is normal, you can search this forums).

I also hear relay clicks when changing the DAC-10 inputs as well as turning of the unit (and the ST-10 does another couple of clicks after about 10 secs).

So all is well, IMHO.

What I DO NOT HEAR is any pops or thumps when turning on or off the equipment. Other that the relay clicks and the speakers 'hisss' I get no pops or thumbs through the speakers with the 10s.

Hope this helps.
Rafa.

slash71

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2018, 12:25 am »
using xlr or Rca for signal connection? I use xlr cables  on my '10' system and it has no noise .. very back2black ground :) . my speaker are System-Audio mantra..

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2018, 01:35 am »
My interconnects are balanced XLR as well.  I have Totem Rainmakers.

rebbi

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2018, 02:19 am »
using xlr or Rca for signal connection? I use xlr cables  on my '10' system and it has no noise .. very back2black ground :) . my speaker are System-Audio mantra..

This is the IDA-16 integrated, so no signal connections. Just coaxial from my CD player and analog input from my phono preamplifier

JackD

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2018, 05:24 am »
rebbi

The noise you describe are normal and are in fact more noticeable with the Triode Master's than with the Odyssey Lorelei's that were considerably less efficient.  The compression driver on the Spatial's is over 95 db.

rebbi

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2018, 03:21 pm »
rebbi

The noise you describe are normal and are in fact more noticeable with the Triode Master's than with the Odyssey Lorelei's that were considerably less efficient.  The compression driver on the Spatial's is over 95 db.

Cool, thanks. I figured that might be it. Vade Forrester's review in TAS used the KEF LS-50's, and I think their sensitivity rating is 85 dB, so that's quite a difference.

kevb

« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2018, 09:42 am »
My IDA-16 emits a noticeable thump/popping noise upon turn on, and on switching inputs that is not simply the relay sound.  I have the optical and USB hooked up.  Each time I switch inputs, there is a fairly substantial thump/popping noise from my speakers.  I am not sure if that is normal either.  My IDA-8 emits a small thump on powering off or on, but is dead silent other than the relay click when switching inputs.  My DAC-10 emits no noise at all except for the relay click when switching inputs.

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2018, 01:53 pm »
My IDA-16 emits a noticeable thump/popping noise upon turn on, and on switching inputs that is not simply the relay sound.  I have the optical and USB hooked up.  Each time I switch inputs, there is a fairly substantial thump/popping noise from my speakers.  I am not sure if that is normal either.  My IDA-8 emits a small thump on powering off or on, but is dead silent other than the relay click when switching inputs.  My DAC-10 emits no noise at all except for the relay click when switching inputs.

My IDA-8 has a popping noise (small thump as you call it) when turned on (but not off).  No noise when switching inputs (I have nothing connected to other inputs as I use the IDA-8 for my office/PC system).  It's not anything that is of concern to me.  The unit has worked out very well (probably have it about 6 months) for my office system.