ttsto

Re: BDP-1 - the problems just keep multiplying
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jul 2015, 04:33 am »
I usually keep SAMBA off, but it is great addition, makes this easier

Marius

« Reply #21 on: 2 Jul 2015, 07:27 am »
maybe try this: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=135636.0
i'm going to,if only for fun. And because a very soft hiss, reminiscent of the old mistuned fm band, is emanating from my Esl's now and then. Intensifying while playing, calming down again after the bdp has stopped or paused, within a few seconds.

Maybe im just hearing network traffic.... or some other electric noise, not 100% galvanically isolated. We'll see.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius!

Your question is not silly at all. Let me tell you, I disconnected everything and tried each each individual component of the system with a different system just to be sure. The problem is with the BDP-1, nothing else.

I use headphones most of the time and that makes the problem that much more audible and disturbing.

I will report back when I have some news. Chris has run different tests, "poking around" as he put it, and finally told me he believes the problems lie elsewhere, not in the BDP-1. But I don't see how that could be, I've tried every kind of a drive, besides the NAS which is downstairs.

Perhaps the BDP-1 just doesn't have the firepower to counter the ever-increasing demands by it's software.

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #22 on: 2 Jul 2015, 10:03 am »
The BDP-1 plays back 352Khz flac files using the most recent firmware, so it is by no means not fast enough.  If it wasn't fast enough its cpu and/or memory usage would be sitting at or over 100% usage.

Hi Chris!

The CPU load hovers at around 27% but the memory is always 99%. Perhaps that's the problem.

ttsto

« Reply #23 on: 2 Jul 2015, 11:34 am »
Did you set up scratch drive? Is an USB storage used for swap files.
I see swap in my configuration is quite used, even if I do not use album_db features

Other idea, maybe the internal memory on your BDP is faulty, not sure if there are LINUX commands to check for errors...

R. Daneel

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jul 2015, 12:33 pm »
Hi!

Yes, it could be a million reasons why. No way to know. I hope Chris can find some answers.

R. Daneel

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jul 2015, 05:53 pm »
Okay,

I have formatted all the drives to FAT32 even though they were FAT32. Chris says there could be disk defragmentation problem with them so I formatted them. It took the computer 30 minutes to format the drives and then another hour to copy the files from NAS. I was hopeful as it was something I hadn't tried before but undortunately, it didn't help. The interruptions are still there - a couple of them during each song. Severe distortion when I played it for the first time today made me turn the amplifier all the way down.

Cheers,
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #26 on: 28 Jul 2015, 07:32 am »
Hi!

Okay, here's the news.

The dealer kindly sent me a BDP-2 to do a demo on and compare it to the BDP-1.

I have found what is troubling the BDP-1 as I will explain:

It's the network connection. BDP-1 plays the 192/176.4k tracks only when it is NOT connected to the network. I have verified this a number of times, each session followed by a restart of the machine. When the machine is connected to the network, it skips music. When it is not connected, it plays fine.

My guess is that network connection demands more resources the BDP-1 with the latest firmware cannot handle reliably. Unnecessary things like album art and all sorts of things I neither need or want have inhibited the basic function of BDP-1 - music playback.

I have not decided on the BDP-2 upgrade yet. If I trade in the BDP-1, the extra premium for the BDP-2 is 2000 $US. The BDP-2 comes with the new BUC board but I have done extensive comaprisons with our own studio masters and I don't hear the slightest difference between the two players, even with Bryston's BDA-2/BHA-1 and Sennheiser HD800 combination. So I have strong objections to this upgrade when all it comes down to is "faster CPU and more RAM".

So what can be done to remedy the network connection burden? Disconnect from network and use the BDP-1 without the graphical user interface?

Cheers!
Antun

Krutsch

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jul 2015, 08:18 am »
Hi!

Okay, here's the news.

The dealer kindly sent me a BDP-2 to do a demo on and compare it to the BDP-1.

I have found what is troubling the BDP-1 as I will explain:

It's the network connection. BDP-1 plays the 192/176.4k tracks only when it is NOT connected to the network. I have verified this a number of times, each session followed by a restart of the machine. When the machine is connected to the network, it skips music. When it is not connected, it plays fine.

My guess is that network connection demands more resources the BDP-1 with the latest firmware cannot handle reliably. Unnecessary things like album art and all sorts of things I neither need or want have inhibited the basic function of BDP-1 - music playback.

I have not decided on the BDP-2 upgrade yet. If I trade in the BDP-1, the extra premium for the BDP-2 is 2000 $US. The BDP-2 comes with the new BUC board but I have done extensive comaprisons with our own studio masters and I don't hear the slightest difference between the two players, even with Bryston's BDA-2/BHA-1 and Sennheiser HD800 combination. So I have strong objections to this upgrade when all it comes down to is "faster CPU and more RAM".

So what can be done to remedy the network connection burden? Disconnect from network and use the BDP-1 without the graphical user interface?

Cheers!
Antun

FWIW, I routinely play 192 and 176.4 tracks on a BDP-1 with no glitches or artifacts, whatsoever. In fact, that's one of the things that really impresses me about this box: how artifact-free it is during playback with flawless, gapless playback.

I use both MPaD and Manic Moose (2.17 BETA) and my music is loaded on an external, USB bus-powered SSD drive (PNY 480 GB).

Something else is going on here...

R. Daneel

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jul 2015, 09:08 am »
FWIW, I routinely play 192 and 176.4 tracks on a BDP-1 with no glitches or artifacts, whatsoever. In fact, that's one of the things that really impresses me about this box: how artifact-free it is during playback with flawless, gapless playback.

I use both MPaD and Manic Moose (2.17 BETA) and my music is loaded on an external, USB bus-powered SSD drive (PNY 480 GB).

Something else is going on here...

Hi!

I have a few quesrtions for you:

1. what is the CPU usage and memory usage when playing 192k files?
2. do you mean to say your external SSD drive is powered directly by the BDP-1's USB port?
3. To what file format is your SSD formatted - NTFS, FAT32 or something else?
4. is the 2.17 BETA the newest software release or is it an older type?

Cheers!
Antun

Doublej

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jul 2015, 10:46 am »
If it's a network connection issues it might be the BDP-1 not liking your router or cable modem. How is it connected? Wireless connection?

I had an issue with my imac not liking my wifi router. The manufacturer told me to change some settings and now it is much better.

R. Daneel

« Reply #30 on: 28 Jul 2015, 10:52 am »
If it's a network connection issues it might be the BDP-1 not liking your router or cable modem. How is it connected? Wireless connection?

I had an issue with my imac not liking my wifi router. The manufacturer told me to change some settings and now it is much better.

Hi!

The BDP-1 is connected to a T-COM router with a LAN cable, about 10m in length. I don't think it should be a problem. Keep in mind I never play music through the network but directly off USB thumbdrives plugged into the BDP-1.

Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #31 on: 28 Jul 2015, 11:40 am »
HI Antun

I will leave the technical question to Chris but if it is a network issue I am afraid there is nothing we can do about that and maybe the circuit board in the BDP-2 just has an advantage when it comes to network connectivity??  -  Chris should know.

thanks
james

R. Daneel

« Reply #32 on: 28 Jul 2015, 12:00 pm »
Hi!

Just to post it here too,

I doubt it's the network because I don't use network streaming. Instead, I play the music from thumbrdives plugged directly into the player.

I also have a NAS drive connected to the same router/switch and movies and music play fine from it on our home cinema system so I don't think it has to do with network bandwidth problem, especially because the BDP-1 is never used in this manner and network connection serves only as a means of control via computer or over wireless.

Cheers!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #33 on: 28 Jul 2015, 12:03 pm »
Hi!

Just to post it here too,

I doubt it's the network because I don't use network streaming. Instead, I play the music from thumbrdives plugged directly into the player.

I also have a NAS drive connected to the same router/switch and movies and music play fine from it on our home cinema system so I don't think it has to do with network bandwidth problem, especially because the BDP-1 is never used in this manner and network connection serves only as a means of control via computer or over wireless.

The BDP-1 has a 10/100Mbps network capability while BDP-2 has a 1Gbps capability which can't account for any difference since our internet connection cannot exceed or even approach the bandwidth limit of the BDP-1.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 28 Jul 2015, 12:36 pm »
It may be worth trying a regular router rather than the supplied router from your network provider you mentioned just to see if the issue goes away - I know you will not have connection to the internet but it would be a good test.

I can send you the ManCave router setup if you want to give it a try - just email me - jamestanner@bryston.com

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 28 Jul 2015, 01:06 pm »
Hi Antun

Sent you the instructions for ManCave router option.

james

Krutsch

« Reply #36 on: 28 Jul 2015, 03:14 pm »
Hi!

I have a few quesrtions for you:

1. what is the CPU usage and memory usage when playing 192k files?
2. do you mean to say your external SSD drive is powered directly by the BDP-1's USB port?
3. To what file format is your SSD formatted - NTFS, FAT32 or something else?
4. is the 2.17 BETA the newest software release or is it an older type?

Cheers!
Antun

1. Roughly 50% for 192k ALAC files (the same file re-encoded as an AIFF file plays back at 3-4% CPU; FLAC is about 30%) - I am thinking seriously about re-encoding everything as AIFF.

Also, the only services I have running is MPD, USB Mount and SMB (sharing).

2. My SSD drive is in an enclosure with USB 3.0 connector and plugged into the lower-back USB 2.0 port. No external power seems to be needed.

The Manic Moose bench test reports: 15 MB/s for the SSD drive and 12 MB/s for the thumb drive.

3. FAT32 formatted as such using Mac OS Diskutil.

4. 2.17, newest version, datyed 2015-07-15.

Hope that helps.

R. Daneel

« Reply #37 on: 28 Jul 2015, 03:26 pm »
1. Roughly 50% for 192k ALAC files (the same file re-encoded as an AIFF file plays back at 3-4% CPU; FLAC is about 30%) - I am thinking seriously about re-encoding everything as AIFF.

2. My SSD drive is in an enclosure with USB 3.0 connector and plugged into the lower-back USB 2.0 port. No external power seems to be needed.

The Manic Moose bench test reports: 15 MB/s for the SSD drive and 12 MB/s for the thumb drive.

Hope that helps.

Hi Krutsch!

Thank you very much!

Chris is on it now so I'm waiting to see what he will say but this is very useful indeed!

I will report back.

Thanks!
Antun

R. Daneel

« Reply #38 on: 29 Jul 2015, 06:05 am »

Hope that helps.

Hi Krutsch!

Can you check something for me please?

1. play some 24/192 songs
2. go to the bottom of the screen where there is a line of icons named System, Disk information, Audio devices etc.
3. click on these icons in rapid succession focusing on the first three icons on the left
4. continue clicking on these icons for approximately 10 seconds
5. at this point my BDP-1 starts stuttering
6. if your BDP-1 starts stuttering, go to "Services" and monitor the CPU load
7. At this point my BDP-1 continues to stutter till you pause or stop playback for a couple of seconds

This is not at all complicate so I hope you can do it. That would tell us how much resources is spent elsewhere instead of playback and would at least give me some piece of mind.

Thanks!
Antun

ttsto

« Reply #39 on: 29 Jul 2015, 06:42 am »
Hi Daneel

I had similar issue as you describe, with processor overloading after a while of playing high rez files and also checking on interface different paramenters
After some communication with Chris I managed to put BDP in service mode and he fixed something, I don't know exactly what. Since then I upgraded to latest beta firmware (2.17) and this did not happened anymore in normal usage - again, I did not performed stress test as you describe

To have a better view on the CPU utilization you can connect via putty and launch command top. This will show you what processes are called during working of BDP and which one are remaining with high CPU usage

In my case, before Chris intervention, processor usage was growing constantly when playing high resolution files, up to 70-80%. When track was changed in the playback, there was a call to a process probably to change cover art or something that was using 20% processor and then BDP1 was producing distorsions
Now, processor stays 25% for normal playback and may go to 35% in case of high rez files