2 channel system suggestions needed

turkey

Re: 2 channel system suggestions needed
« Reply #40 on: 22 Oct 2010, 07:44 pm »
Another thought: I should definitely consider AVA DAC/preamp/amp, especially if I choose salk's speakers.

I had an Insight+ DAC, and I own an Insight+ preamp and OmegaStar amp. They're very sturdy, and they'd probably last you for the next 20 or more years with no problem at all.

However, if you've got a limited amount of money to spend, what I'd recommend is that you get the best speakers you can afford, and then go with the Emotiva or similar electronics, rather than buying more expensive electronics and having to skimp on the speakers.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #41 on: 22 Oct 2010, 08:05 pm »
SERIOUSLY consider buying used gear, either vintage or recent audiophile stuff.  You increase your bang for the buck by at least 50%, possibly much more.  For $6K total, you could pick up a really nice two channel system from used gear.  Let somebody else take the depreciation!

dcj98gst

« Reply #42 on: 17 Nov 2010, 09:24 pm »
I hear great things about the wyred 4 sound dac-2 as well and plan to use that to replace my parasound 2100 pre-amp and use my SB3 as a transport bypassing the SB3 dac. 

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #43 on: 17 Nov 2010, 10:19 pm »
I'll second Mariusz on the Wyred4Sound setup with the Salk Song Towers or Songbirds.  Huge bang for the dollar spent.

I'll also second MaxCast on the pure Odyssey setup.  Call Klaus (317) 299-5578.  He will set you up perfect with a complete system for less than $6000.  You will need to add the transport Oppo BDP-83 (will give you every format made - almost) and then add the DAC when funds allow.

Either system would be a phenomenal start.