Eastern Electric DAC

Wayne1

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #900 on: 24 Aug 2011, 06:26 pm »
Fred,

I'm sorry to hear you are having interface issues with the SqueezeServer software.

I have no issues with the computer running the latest version of the software at the moment.

You might want to spend some time trying to find what is causing the crashing. You might want to get in touch with lcrim here on AC. He is very good with networks.

Turnandcough

« Reply #901 on: 7 Nov 2011, 12:58 am »
Not sure if this is the right place but here goes...

Wanted to do away with the input selector and associated wires(please don't ask why) on the MM.

I just tried hard wiring the BNC + input to the input pin on the board and the - to one of the two ground pins. For some reason standard files work fine but I'm getting no signal when trying to play 24-96 files from my SB Touch(7.7)
I thought it might be the new SB software so tried with my other DAC and 24-96 works OK.

Any clues?

Wayne1

« Reply #902 on: 7 Nov 2011, 01:19 am »
Don't run the sp/dif direct from the input jack of the BNC direct to the input of the DAC chip. Run the BNC to the network on the board. In other words, hook up the jack connection as you would stock. Then jump out the selector switch. 75 ohm cable should be used for all connections. At 24/96 and above, impedance and shielding are very critical.

If you still have problems, you can send the unit to me, but be aware I have five EE DACs waiting for mods right now.

Turnandcough

« Reply #903 on: 7 Nov 2011, 01:35 am »
Thanks Wayne,
Once I connect the BNC input to board in stock location I connect BNC pin to input pin(right?) and what do I do with the two ground pins?

Actually I should send you the unit to clean up some of the "damage" I've done but for now I'd just like to get it working.

Wayne1

« Reply #904 on: 7 Nov 2011, 02:20 am »
Thanks Wayne,
Once I connect the BNC input to board in stock location I connect BNC pin to input pin(right?) and what do I do with the two ground pins?

Actually I should send you the unit to clean up some of the "damage" I've done but for now I'd just like to get it working.

Use a small length of mini 75 ohm coax to jump the BNC to input and the two ground connections. You do have to get creative with wire dressing. You may have to pull the board and work from the bottom.

Turnandcough

« Reply #905 on: 7 Nov 2011, 02:44 am »
I've got the BNC pin hooked up to the input pin with a short length of the same shielded wire that was originally used to connect to the selector switch.
I used the same wire to connect the BNC input to board but removed the shield as it was easier to work with plus I figured it was not critical at this stage.
For now I have nothing connected to the two ground pins(wasn't sure what to do with them) Do I connect them together?
I'm getting music but still no dice with the 24-96 files.

Wayne1

« Reply #906 on: 7 Nov 2011, 03:04 am »
I've got the BNC pin hooked up to the input pin with a short length of the same shielded wire that was originally used to connect to the selector switch.
I used the same wire to connect the BNC input to board but removed the shield as it was easier to work with plus I figured it was not critical at this stage.
For now I have nothing connected to the two ground pins(wasn't sure what to do with them) Do I connect them together?
I'm getting music but still no dice with the 24-96 files.

The shield is highly critical. You are dealing with RF frequencies. Run SHIELDED 75 ohm coax from the BNC connector to the PCB. Run shielded 75 ohm coax from the BNC output to input. Use the shield on each one of the coax to connect the two grounds.

Defeat any and all software mods to the Touch. Run only stock settings until you solve the hardware issues. If you still can't get it to work, pack it up and send it off to me. Be prepared to wait a few weeks until I can get to it.

Turnandcough

« Reply #907 on: 9 Nov 2011, 01:03 am »
24-96 working again. I had no idea the shielding was so critical.
By comparing your directives and a picture I had of the original wiring(before I yanked it) I finally figured out the "shield to ground" thing.

Many thanks for your patience and generosity.

Now let's see what I could screw up next...

While on topic - any opinions on swapping the two 3.3 film caps on the output? I tried Solen and Auricap and both were inferior to the original ones which I ended up putting back. Solen fastcaps had good detail but highs were too harsh.  Auricap had smoother highs but sounded dull and lacked dynamics.
Was wondering if anything more exotic(V-Cap OIMP, Mundorf SIO) would be worthwhile or just a waste of $$$

Wayne1

« Reply #908 on: 9 Nov 2011, 03:18 am »
The output caps do make quite a difference in sound. They also take many weeks to break-in.

With mods, a lot of the choices are limited by the available space to physically mount the caps.

In the mod I offer, I use Sonicaps with 0.1 uF bypasses. If you could fit them, OIMP should sound great. Blends of different film types are lots fun to try.

The Sabre chip is VERY sensitive to noise. Before you play with the output caps, I would suggest you look into the diodes used in the PS.  :wink: