JohnR

New HE-560 owner
« on: 15 Oct 2014, 08:03 am »
-> me <-

(More latr)

Russell Dawkins

Re: New HE-560 owner
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2014, 08:11 am »
I'm jealous! Congratulations, and I'm looking forward to your impressions. 6 moons review was tantalizing.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2014, 08:14 am »
Thanks Russell. I've realized there is no such thing as a perfect headphone and the price of this one vs performance put it high on my list. The declining AU dollar was a bit of an extra push to get a pair now rather than wait...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2014, 11:45 am »
Thanks Russell. I've realized there is no such thing as a perfect headphone and the price of this one vs performance put it high on my list. The declining AU dollar was a bit of an extra push to get a pair now rather than wait...
Oh nice, congrats.
Do you already listen the HE400?
If so please compare the two.
Thanks

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2014, 12:13 pm »
Hi JohnR.
Congratulation !
Maybe I've misted it, but with what do you drive your new T1.

Guy 13

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2014, 01:34 pm »
Hi Gustavo, never heard the HE-400, sorry! The vendor where I bought these has them on their website but I didn't stop to compare (if they even have them in the store).

Hi Guy, the T1s are now for sale. In any case, I am using Fostex HP-A3 and Fostex HP-A4 mostly, neither quite at my ideal but I'll get there.

I saw on one vendor's site that the HE-560 are "extremely difficult to drive" - I don't think so, they seem fine with amps that output 100mW.

steve in jersey

« Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2014, 03:22 pm »
Hey John,

Add me to the list of the curious. I currently have the HE-6 & the Sennheiser HD 800, both have become "WIP" as once you reach this
level of headphones the manufacturers definitely "hang their hats" on "Voicing" the phones sound signature to address various parts of the sound spectrum differently than other phones. I prefer the HE-6 "acts of omission" over the HD800 highlighting of upper frequencies(though not bright sounding w/ the right equipment in front of them) at the cost of some "body" in the middle frequencies.

In my system the only parameter that I find the HD800 'may' be better at is Soundstage width,but the HE-6 obliterates them in stage
depth & height & due to this the HE-6 sounds more transparent as the music sounds more dimensional. I don't know what to make of
it being said how difficult the HE-6 is to drive(properly) as this has'nt been my experience(Maybe people are trying to get dynamic driver sound from them ? more impact & pinpoint directionality; neither of which we hear from live Acoustic music)

Hmmm... Maybe I'm not so curious about the HE-560 after all ? Just kidding , Id like to hear about them anyway ! (I had a feeling that
the T1 did'nt work out for you as the Circle just seemed to 'wither on the vine' Good luck w/ the 560 & keep us in the loop)

milford3

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2014, 04:20 pm »
Concrats JohnR..  Every headphone lover should have a planar in their line up.  Although I have never heard the HE brand I do own the Audeze LCD2's with a Moon Audio cable up grade.  The Planar sound is special. :thumb: 

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2014, 09:41 am »
HI Steve and Milford, thanks for your thoughts. I'm not entirely sure what the planar sound is (for headphones), but I feel these are definitely worth a listen, I'm not finding a lot to criticize. Things I definitely like already: Fairly comfortable; cable is nice and light, and not too long; Hifiman sells the connectors quite cheap if I want to try making more cables; replacement earpads not very expensive. Trying to be critical soundwise there might be some slight resonance of some kind in the midbass and a little extra presence somewhere in the treble, but even so compared to everything else I've tried they are more neutral across the board, easily so. Not as "comforting" or relaxing to listen to as the HD-650s but then again what is. I'm not a "soundstage person" but the soundstage is very squarely in your head, even to the back, whereas the HD650 and esp Beyer T1s push it more forward (spatially I mean).... I'll try some comparisons on that tonight if I get a chance. At any rate I can live with that. But mostly I think what comes next is just more head time (for breakin, if it exists), and waiting for alternate DAC/amps that I've already paid for to see how they fare with them.

Just to be clear: these are my impressions after less than a day. I reserve the right to change my mind  :green: :lol:

steve in jersey

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2014, 02:10 pm »
There is a reason the T1s (I would say the Senn HD800 even more) sound more "spatially" foward sounding than a planar headphone & that would be because 'dynamic' drivers treat musical notes differently. Dynamic drivers focus more energy on the "fundamental' of the musical note a bit differently than a planar will. As a result of this the sound "develops" differently (think about the way Magneplanars sound as opposed to dynamic speakers)

I think it's going to depend on how much you value the 'immediacy' of the sound you are hearing over how the overall sound is developing
& along with this which listening perspective is more important to enjoying whatever genre of music you are listening to. However, take the
time to consider whether or not the 'different' perspective adds some values you were'nt aware of !

Once again it comes down to "apples & oranges". You may like them both,but it depends on what your tastebuds would rather see at
any particular time

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2014, 03:55 pm »
Well, you are right... now that I have the 560s I'm appreciating the virtues of the T1 more. I guess I now see why people collect headphones  :duh:

FireGuy

« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2014, 04:04 pm »
There is a reason the T1s (I would say the Senn HD800 even more) sound more "spatially" foward sounding than a planar headphone & that would be because 'dynamic' drivers treat musical notes differently. Dynamic drivers focus more energy on the "fundamental' of the musical note a bit differently than a planar will. As a result of this the sound "develops" differently (think about the way Magneplanars sound as opposed to dynamic speakers)

I generally will have to agree with this description.  Although I don't own either the LCD2's or T1's I did have the pleasure of spending some time with each (w/Schitt Vahalla & NuForce UDa2).   In the end I preferred the T1's presentation.   That's not to say the planers were 2nd hands down.  For me it was very very close.  Maybe in a different time/setting I'll perceive the sound otherwise.   I can will live with both...if I have to.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2014, 05:01 pm »
I would compare the planars/dinamics as:
The planars perform music with a violin bow and dynamics perform music with a trumpet.

dashelj

« Reply #13 on: 27 Oct 2014, 02:25 am »
I too have purchased these headphones - I had the he-500 originally but it was just too heavy.  Not uncomfortable but too obvious that I was wearing headphones.  The 560 are extremely comfortable headphones.  One of the most comfortable I have worn.  They feel lighter than my HD800, despite the fact that they are heavier.  I really like the "planar sound" and with the He-500 and 560 you get that sound plus the type of qualities you expect in an expensive headphone.  And it is a very easy headphone to enjoy music with.

Violin bow and trumpet is a very apt description. 

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #14 on: 29 Oct 2014, 04:41 am »
I too have purchased these headphones - I had the he-500 originally but it was just too heavy.  Not uncomfortable but too obvious that I was wearing headphones.  The 560 are extremely comfortable headphones.  One of the most comfortable I have worn.  They feel lighter than my HD800, despite the fact that they are heavier.  I really like the "planar sound" and with the He-500 and 560 you get that sound plus the type of qualities you expect in an expensive headphone.  And it is a very easy headphone to enjoy music with.

Violin bow and trumpet is a very apt description.

I've heard there are some similarities between the HD800 - 560's? how would you compare them?

Btw, congrats for the new set of headphones JohnR.

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 4 Nov 2014, 12:24 pm »
Thanks Noseyears. I'd agree that when it comes to strings, these just do it right.

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 10 Nov 2014, 02:51 pm »
Hi, me again. One of the reasons I've been a bit quiet is that I thought my pair had a problem. There was a buzz/rattle sound on just a few recordings. It seemed to come and go... however when I decided to track it down, it turns out that if I swap back to the HD-650s, the buzz/rattle is still there in exactly the same place on the same tracks, just less obvious. So it's on the recording - or maybe in the player or amp. Regardless, not the headphones. Cue the usual cliches about hearing things you've never noticed before  :? :D :duh:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #17 on: 10 Nov 2014, 04:29 pm »
Thanks Russell. I've realized there is no such thing as a perfect headphone and the price of this one vs performance put it high on my list.

Amen to that brother!

I just recently started listening to headphones in a serious way and am surprised by how different each model I've tried sounds. Also surprised at the difference in comfort level as well as how different people find comfort level. I've purchased a couple pairs based on other's opinions of comfort only to be sorely disappointed. .

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2015, 10:28 am »
To update this one, I contacted the retailer from whom I purchased the HE-560s and after a delay due to Christmas/holidays and shipping, I have received a replacement pair. So far, no issues with the new pair! So a big thank you to Hifiman for dealing with issues if they do arise  :thumb:

I'm now set for the HE-560s being my only pair of headphones for some time. At least a week... hah hah OK, you know what I mean.

Happy listening all :)

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #19 on: 24 Feb 2015, 12:08 pm »
The HE500's have been very good here.  Run them with an old Audio Alchemy HPA-1.0 headphone amp.

Will be interested in your impressions of the HE560's as a comparison as a possible upgrade.