Sony HAP-Z1ES USB output

CSI

Sony HAP-Z1ES USB output
« on: 19 Oct 2016, 10:54 pm »
Sony has just issued a firmware upgrade to the HAP-Z1ES which provides a direct USB digital output to your external USB DAC of choice. This overcomes the one major objection many of us had of this server - as good as it is, you were limited to the built in DAC and analog output. The sound, judging by the results with my LIO DAC and Black Cat USB cable, is clearly improved. More depth, better dynamics and extended highs. The free upgrade is a must for any Sony server fan.

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES USB output
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2016, 11:04 pm »
Indeed!! This is VERY cool..... Can't wait to try it!

mfsoa

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2016, 01:06 am »
Does it output upsampled DSD by default? Or do you have to disable the upsampling to get the native rate via usb, like you have to do for the analog out?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2016, 01:39 am »
Sony has just issued a firmware upgrade to the HAP-Z1ES which provides a direct USB digital output to your external USB DAC of choice. This overcomes the one major objection many of us had of this server - as good as it is, you were limited to the built in DAC and analog output. The sound, judging by the results with my LIO DAC and Black Cat USB cable, is clearly improved. More depth, better dynamics and extended highs. The free upgrade is a must for any Sony server fan.

Hi CSI,

Thanks for posting this... now we're talking, Sony!  I wish they started out with the Z1ES this way.

Thanks for making the comparison to the LIO DAC.

Vinnie

CSI

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2016, 01:40 am »
"Does it output upsampled DSD by default? Or do you have to disable the upsampling to get the native rate via usb, like you have to do for the analog out?"

Can't say for sure but I believe it is the latter. Here is all the information they provide. The only change in the controls adds an off/automatic choice for the USB output. Not sure why you need this. What is interesting is you can add an external hub and then alternate between USB output (to a DAC) and USB input (from a transport) without swapping cables (there is only one port).

Release Date10/18/2016  Version18033R  File Size1 Bytes  DOWNLOAD  File Description:
IMPORTANT: This update is available only by performing a Network Upgrade.
This firmware upgrade (version 18033R) provides the following improvements over version 17384R:

Adds support for the Media Server function
Adds support for the USB digital output function(USB hub support for connecting each of one HDDdrive, one CD drive, and one USB DAC)
Adds support for Seek operations
Adds support for the Fade In/Out function
Adds the Go to genre/artist/album/folder function to the Options menu
Adds the following operations:
Queuing the track next to the one currently playing, and queuing the track last
Deleting the track from the play queue
Creating a playlist with the play queue
Deleting the playlist
Deleting the track from the playlist
Deleting the information of a disconnected external hard disk drive

IMPORTANT: To use the HDD Audio Remote app on your smartphone or tablet you must update the app software using the Google Play™ online store for Android™ devices, or the iTunes® App Store for iOS devices.

CSI

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2016, 01:44 am »
Hi CSI,

Thanks for posting this... now we're talking, Sony!  I wish they started out with the Z1ES this way.

Thanks for making the comparison to the LIO DAC.

Vinnie

I'm not sure I would have ventured forth to buy a dedicated USB DAC just to try the new Sony output but, happily, one is built into my LIO DAC. Needless to say, it is killer. I'm curious to see what kind of results others get with other brands of USB DACS.

Bill

RichardS

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2016, 06:22 am »
This is exciting, but I'm somewhat confused. Does this mean that the Sony will now take an external digital input through its USB, say from a a CD transport or server, or for example an Auralic Aires, with digital data being converted by the Sony DAC/processor for analog output? Could I feed a Tidal stream through an Aires or an Oppo to the Sony via USB? Or is it just for outputting music stored on the Sony to a USB DAC?

CSI

« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2016, 06:11 pm »
This is exciting, but I'm somewhat confused. Does this mean that the Sony will now take an external digital input through its USB, say from a a CD transport or server, or for example an Auralic Aires, with digital data being converted by the Sony DAC/processor for analog output? Could I feed a Tidal stream through an Aires or an Oppo to the Sony via USB? Or is it just for outputting music stored on the Sony to a USB DAC?

This feature existed prior to the update. The only function of the USB port on the back of the Sony was to take in a USB digital feed from an external transport (I have been using an Apple transport which I find more convenient for dubbing CDs than the "normal" method of loading discs on my computer then transferring via LAN). Unfortunately, all you can do with the incoming USB signal is record it onto the hard drive. The Sony converts the signal to analog and feeds it out via balanced or unbalanced jacks. What is new is that you now have the option of feeding the music back out through the same USB port (change cables or add a USB hub) and send the stream to an external USB DAC. The only exception is the built-in internet tuner which can now take the internet radio feed from your internet connection and feed it back out of the USB port (in USB format) to an external USB DAC for playback. I've tried this and it sounds great.

(NOTE: This conclusion is based on my own brief experimenting and on Sony's somewhat sketchy instructions. You might want to contact their tech support directly to be sure you can't stream in from your other devices then stream back out directly without needing to first record the feed.)

kngale1

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2016, 06:29 pm »
 CSI,

Do you think the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB will work on the HAP-Z!es USB Output?

CSI

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2016, 09:24 pm »
CSI,

Do you think the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha USB will work on the HAP-Z!es USB Output?

I know very little about various DACs other than the one I own. I'm a hobbiest, not a dealer. But I do think all USB digital outputs (Sony and everyone elses) are "standard" in the sense that if they work with one DAC input (mine is a Vinnie Rossi LIO DAC) they will work with all of them, otherwise there would be a compatibility nightmare in the industry. But to be sure, you would need to check with the Berkely tech people to be sure their USB protocol will match up with the Sony.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2016, 12:28 am »
Results will vary DAC to DAC for sure. Depends on how the USB input of the DAC is treated. Some DAC's that are now available don't seem to care at all what kind of USB digital source is in front of them, others need a very damn good digital source for best results.

My DAC likes a very good digital sources in front of it, and the Sony HAP did ok, but not great. I believe the Lio USB input is galvanically isolated, and this seems to be the way to go. Chord DAVE is another that has a really great USB input, and is also galvanically isolated at the USB input. 

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2016, 09:51 am »

The HAP-Z1ES is a Linux box
Linux supports UAC2 (USB audio Class 2)
I assume Sony simply added UAC2 to the box.
If this is true all DACs that are UAC2 compatible will run.
If the manufacturer claims the DAC can be used without installing drivers on OSX or Linux, it will be a UAC2 compatible one.

kngale1

« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2016, 02:03 pm »
If the manufacturer claims the DAC can be used without installing drivers on OSX or Linux, it will be a UAC2 compatible one.
That's what I thought and just looking for confirmation.   I know an Aurender N100 owner is using one ...

thomasha

« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2016, 12:24 pm »

The documentation to the new firmware says "Some USB digital audio devices may not work for playback."

I've tried to connect HAP-Z1ES via USB with the PowerDac Wadia 151 yet i'm getting "USB device not supported". Has anyone faced a similar issue and is there any way how to get it working? Seems I'll have to employ a USB to spdif converter ;(

Vincent Kars

« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2016, 09:54 pm »
It could happen
Most of the time it is unclear if this is the USB receiver of the DAC or the implementation at the computer.
An example: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=161975

brianhb

« Reply #15 on: 21 Dec 2016, 10:15 pm »
I can confirm that my Nuprime IDA-8 DAC/amp combo is working perfectly with HAP-S1 as a source via USB.  Assume this can be extrapolated to other Nuprime products and the HAP-Z1ES.

finsup

« Reply #16 on: 18 Nov 2017, 05:17 pm »
Post deleted.  Wrong thread.

goheelz

« Reply #17 on: 8 Feb 2018, 08:21 pm »
Bumping this thread to see whether you guys have had additional experimentation with external DACs and the Sony HAP-Z1ES.  Which DACs have offered superior (better than Sony on-board DAC) results?