tube version of dac dac

kedoades

tube version of dac dac
« on: 23 May 2016, 06:05 pm »
   Hello,  I am seeking info on the new dac dac from anyone who has tried it.  The tube version is the one I am most interested in.  I couldn't find to much info on it on the website.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: tube version of dac dac
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2016, 06:08 pm »
Both Aldcol and I have auditioned both versions. What can I do for you?

Michael

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2016, 08:40 pm »
Both Aldcol and I have auditioned both versions. What can I do for you

Ya what he said

Alan

kedoades

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2016, 03:46 pm »
  Hello,  I guess I was interested in the sound of the tube style dac.  Also I would like to be able to play cds using the dac as volume control direct to my cherry amp.  Not sure if I can do this or not.  How would it compare to other dacs you have used.   Thanks

aldcoll

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2016, 08:25 pm »
There is no volume in the dac first if all.  As for tube sound it dosent have tubes but it sounded smother or less in you face as I tend to think a solid state does at times.

For the price and your need of volume and my limited experience there is a k
Large field that seems to grow by the day.

Alan

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2016, 11:01 pm »
  Hello,  I guess I was interested in the sound of the tube style dac.  Also I would like to be able to play cds using the dac as volume control direct to my cherry amp.  Not sure if I can do this or not.  How would it compare to other dacs you have used.   Thanks
A few customers have used passive volume controls (between the DAC and Cherry Amps) with great results.  The DAC DAC is a purist product with an extremely short signal path.  The TL (tube like) version has the smallest amount of circuitry between the D/A chips (yes, there are two) and the output connectors.  Adding a volume control means more gain stages and a longer signal path.  Digital attenuation only works well at low volumes if you have massive resolution, which the DAC DAC does.  With 124dB SNR and 0.0004% THD+N, you can use digital attenuation with amazing results!  Many have said it's the best DAC they have EVER heard, regardless of price.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2016, 01:34 am »
There is no volume in the dac first if all.  As for tube sound it dosent have tubes but it sounded smother or less in you face as I tend to think a solid state does at times.

For the price and your need of volume and my limited experience there is a k
Large field that seems to grow by the day.

Alan

Alan,

You spent more time with the DAC DACs than I did. The day we spent listening to them, I was not impressed with the soundstage. Did the soundstage improve/expand over time as the DAC broke in? (Sorry, Tommy. You can't make everybody happy.)

Michael

aldcoll

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2016, 02:01 am »
The performance of both units stayed the same near as I could tale for the duration of the  time I  had with them.   And that was about 4 weeks or more.  I did continue to use them up to the ship home time.

Of all the dacs in the under $1500 price that I had here the Gustard has the best sound stage and I bet it could top many units that are many thousand $$$ more.

Both of the DACDAC dac's had a much  better sound top end or should I say above @20000 htz then all of the tested units. And that co sited if the Gustard 20, NuPrime 10h and a,Parasound Zdac.  I was really shocked at how poor the Gustard did,  the swapping back and forth is a hassel but it is a must and I was delighted we had the chance.

But  I wont even begin to compare that Waversa set up that a friend just happened to drop by with.  Many a league difference in price and we feed it DSD through that USB hub that was so darned quiet. And I have to add that was one of the first USA viewings.

Alan

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2016, 04:42 am »
With 124dB SNR and 0.0004% THD+N, you can use digital attenuation with amazing results!  Many have said it's the best DAC they have EVER heard, regardless of price.  Thanks.

-Tommy O

looks good for you tom,achieving that with tube "a world first"... :thumb:
btw what kind of miracle tube are you using?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2016, 04:28 pm »
looks good for you tom,achieving that with tube "a world first"... :thumb:
btw what kind of miracle tube are you using?
We developed a circuit that emulates tubes. Check out the details on CherryAmp.com.  Thanks.

SteveMiller

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2016, 04:45 pm »
Hi Folks.   Just wanted to chime in as a long time DAC DAC enjoyer.   I've had a TL version here for many months now. ( Consider myself VERY lucky )

I have compared the DAC DAC TL to many other DAC's now and its really great.   Not "for the money" great.... but actually great with no qualifying statements.  You can see my exhaustive comments elsewhere on AC regarding which other dac's I feel that DAC DAC has trumped. 

I have been so enamored with the TL version that I also ordered an HS version to have a second flavor! Not that I need a second flavour, I just am very interested in how far Tommy has been able to push the specs on these little devils!  I use a passive TVC for volume control rough setting, but I have found that with the Halide USB to SPDIF bridge and the DAC DAC that iTunes provides a very good jitter free source, and the standard iTunes volume control in digital domain works well.  As long as you dont over attenuate. 

As concerns any issue with soundstage width or depth, I found that can be very much a pre-amp matching issue personally.  I had to search long and hard to arrive at my current TVC preamp so as to preserve all the goodness from DAC DAC.   Try it source direct to your Cherry's, Maraschino or STM Amps....  It's really revelatory  sounding when you hear what high bandwidth and phase coherance can be when the distortion is kept so low. 

And yes...  This is all achievable with Tommy's standard wall wart supply.  The bigger supply option is in my future, but its not a requirement for great sound.

kedoades

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2016, 06:07 pm »
  Thanks everyone,  I do have a preamp but right now I have my dac going straight to my cherry amp that I just got from Tommy.  Let me just say that the cherry amp that Tommy rebuilt is awesome.  I have not heard an amp in my system that can come close to what the cherry can do.  The wide deep soundstage and deep authoritive bass are excellent.  But with my speakers being somewhat revealing I thought it would be nice to try Tommys tube like dac to smooth things out a little.  I still may try the tl dac and I am also considering buying a tube preamp to replace the preamp that I have now.
     Buy the way Georgopoulos,  you seem to like to pick on Tommys products.  Have you tried one of his amps?  Maybe you should try one of his amps or dacs and you probably would understand the love we have for Tommys products,  thanks

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jun 2016, 08:24 pm »
  Thanks everyone,  I do have a preamp but right now I have my dac going straight to my cherry amp that I just got from Tommy.  Let me just say that the cherry amp that Tommy rebuilt is awesome.  I have not heard an amp in my system that can come close to what the cherry can do.  The wide deep soundstage and deep authoritive bass are excellent.  But with my speakers being somewhat revealing I thought it would be nice to try Tommys tube like dac to smooth things out a little.  I still may try the tl dac and I am also considering buying a tube preamp to replace the preamp that I have now.
     Buy the way Georgopoulos,  you seem to like to pick on Tommys products.  Have you tried one of his amps?  Maybe you should try one of his amps or dacs and you probably would understand the love we have for Tommys products,  thanks
Good point, and thanks for the compliments.  I noticed no response from Georgopoulos, so maybe he's planning a Cherry Amp purchase....

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 7 Jun 2016, 01:56 am »
emulate tubes,how?,i dont pick on tom's products nor i'm being sarcastic,it's tom that doesnt provide an explanation on how the emulator works,tubes in my opinion are highly complex (with clipping and harmonics distortion) and can not be emulated.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #14 on: 7 Jun 2016, 03:26 am »
emulate tubes,how?,i dont pick on tom's products nor i'm being sarcastic,it's tom that doesnt provide an explanation on how the emulator works,tubes in my opinion are highly complex (with clipping and harmonics distortion) and can not be emulated.
Hearing is believing.  Plus, like any technology company, we reserve the right to protect our trade secrets.  I have explained this in detail. Just take a look at our DAC DAC Kickstarter.  I even explained how we came up with this technique.  Thanks for your reply.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 7 Jun 2016, 04:20 am »
Hearing is believing.  Plus, like any technology company, we reserve the right to protect our trade secrets.  I have explained this in detail. Just take a look at our DAC DAC Kickstarter.  I even explained how we came up with this technique.  Thanks for your reply.

yes sir,man i dont pick on you,that's my opinion,keep your secrets secret you're not alone in that (secrets)... :)

SteveMiller