Beck, Sea Change (SACD)

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« on: 15 Apr 2003, 05:11 am »
I'd never actually heard Beck before today, but I'm very impressed with "Sea Change."  TAS gave it a 9/10 for sonics and a very positive review, so I decided to take a chance; I'm very glad I did.  I've only listened to the MC layer so far, but it's stunning to put it mildly.  Certainly one of the best most natural sounding recordings I've ever heard.  The MC mix isn't overly hyped, but mostly rather subtle.  The bass is astonishing, unbelievable low and tight, very natural and tuneful.  This one might nudget Pink Floyd's DSotM SACD MC mix out of 1st place as the best MC remix, IMO.

Musically I like it.  If you haven't heard him before, as I hadn't, it's tough to really describe what this his music sounds like.  Based on the reviews, this album is a radical departure stylistically for him, anyway.  It's very dreamy and surreal, in sort of a twangier Smashing Pumkins way (think Luna or Mayonaisse, or the Piesces Iscariot album).

Well worth a listen if you have the hardware and either like Beck or want to try something new.  And the disc is priced at $15 bucks, so you don't have much to lose.

cjr888

Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2003, 11:49 am »
Big Beck fan in general, from his albums that border on loud and brash, to the albums that include much mellow acoustic guitar work, to the more recent albums that are a mix of all sort of style.  As for Sea Change -- I love this album.  My first listen I enjoyed it, but wasn't completely connected with it.  The thing was that I knew from the start that it was going to be an album that the more I listened to it, the more I appreciated it, and the more I would connect with it.

Recommended whether on redbook, SACD, or MC-SACD.

I don't have a MC setup, so I guess never really pay attention when a MC mix is an option.  I actually have yet to experience MC-SACD, and am definitely curious as I think this would be a stellar album to hear it with.

This is a springboard album for me -- one where if I find other people that love it to death, I want to inquire if they've heard other albums in the world that they think people would like if they loved this album.

Any takers?

Will try and think up some of my own later when I have more time..

Thanks for your impressions.

Nelgan

• http://www.nelgan.com
Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2003, 05:39 pm »
This one blew me away from the first track. It's interesting to note how the album came about. Beck's girlfriend of 6 or 7 years left him. He went into seclusion and wrote all of the tracks in a week, and cut the album in just a few days. Now listen again, and the lyrics are relly poweful. I'm not a big SACD fan, but the HDCD redbook version is still a stellar recording.

Other favorites:
The first 2 Mazzy Star releases
Almost all Cowboy Junkie titles
Morcheeba - Who Can You Trust  and  Big Calm
The last 2 Aimee Mann releases

2 recent DVD purchases:
Diana Krall, Live in Paris - yes, she's hugely popular, but this concert lets you see her true musical talent. Unlike her syrupy sweet studio albums, she absolutley smokes on the piano.

Sting, All This Time
Early Sting was good stuff. Then things got a little boring. If you watch this DVD, be sure to watch the documentary FIRST. Then watch the concert. Sting brought in some of the best jazz folks to accompany him (Christian McBride, Chris Botti), and this is one hell of a performance.

I should point out that I have both of the above in CD and DVD format, and in both cases the DVD is a better choice.

So much music, so little time.....

Cheers!

JoshK

Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2003, 07:18 pm »
Neil,

Good picks.  I too like Morcheeba very much, also Massive Attack and Portishead and sometimes even Groove Armada.  I don't have Mazzy Star's first two (although I do on mp3 on my HD) but Hope Sandoval and the Warm Intention's album is pretty good.

DTH

Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2003, 11:11 pm »
I don't mean to be insulting or rude here, but I am incredulous and I have to ask: How have you managed to avoid hearing a Beck song before now?

I'm not really a big Beck fan, I don't hate him, I like some of his songs, but I get annoyed when people in my peer group talk about him like he is Dylan or something.

Beck has been a top 20 artist for maybe 10 years. C'mon; "I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me?" That song was huge.

bubba966

Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2003, 11:15 pm »
Quote from: DTH
I don't mean to be insulting or rude here, but I am incredulous and I have to ask: How have you managed to avoid hearing a Beck song before now?

I'm not really a big Beck fan, I don't hate him, I like some of his songs, but I get annoyed when people in my peer group talk about him like he is Dylan or something.

Beck has been a top 20 artist for maybe 10 years. C'mon; "I'm a loser baby, so why don't you kill me?" That song was huge.

Whatda expect from a guy that hasn't seen The Matrix yet? :wink: :lol:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2003, 12:36 am »
Hey, I live in South Dakota! :lol:   Well, the truth is I work in a bank, so no music at work.  I don't watch MTV or VH-1, I haven't been in a bar 5 times the last 3 years, and my car radio has every preset set to MPR (Minnesota Public Radio, all classical music 24/7).  My exposure to popular music is very near zero.

We've got maybe 1500 CDs and 800 DVDs in the house, so mostly that's all I listen to.  I'll of course hear new music in a movie soundtrack or as part of a TV show, or if they play at the Superbowl. :wink:   And if they had Beck playing at the grocery store or at my dentist, I wouldn't have known who he was.

I'm amazed at the level of immersion some folks have in pop culture.  Me, I have no clue what is cool with kids today, aside from stuff like Britney and M&M.  I haven't listen to two hours of top 40 radio in the last fifteen years.

The Matrix...Don't get me started! :nono:  :lol:

JoshK

Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2003, 12:40 am »
If I didn't no better I'd say Rob is a fuddey duddey.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2003, 12:48 am »
Who, me?  Well can I help it if the Golden Age of music was 1978 till 1990?  I'd still listen to the radio if they'd bring back Heavy Metal!  Yes, I was a hellraising headbanger; I liked grunge, but once that receded nothing was left on the radio for me.

I've always loved classical, particularly Romantic & Baroque.  Back in college, during 'Blowout Hour' in my residence hall, you'd have an equal chance of hearing Judas Priest or Dvorak blasting from my dorm room! 8)

There is some recent stuff that I like, but overall I think pop music today is pretty lame; bland and boring like Britney or obnoxious posturing like rap.  Don't get me started on country! :wink:

Honestly, I rely on reviews (online or in TAS) and word of mouth to ferret out what little good music is out there.

Ironically, a few of my best friends and I and are former Disc Jockey's!  How perfect is that? :lol:

JoshK

Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #9 on: 17 Apr 2003, 12:53 pm »
Rob,

I was just giving you a hard time, wasn't being serious.

Carlman

Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #10 on: 17 Apr 2003, 04:33 pm »
Since the early 90's I haven't liked most new car designs or new music.  What happened?  It's as if all the life was sucked out of things.  It's hard work filtering through all of the junk in today's music.  There's quite a few good nuggets to be found, though.... and I do because I can't get into the 'standards'.  James T, Pink Floyd, Rush, Johnny Cash, etc.

Beck has a lot of appeal to me.  Every album is a surprise.  Some good, some bad.  Stereopathetic Soulmanure was particularly bad but, had 2 really good songs on it.

I'd suggest Coldplay Parachutes if you like SeaChange.  Morcheeba is awesome as well.  Code Magenta isn't terrible either.

If you like Beck you might like Brothers Johnson, Rick James, Morphene, and Moby.  He's about as eclectic as it gets.  

Beck is an artist in the truest sense.  He paints a picture with words that you either get or don't.  How do you explain verses such as "....Like a giant dildo crushing the sun" ?  I don't take his stuff too seriously but, it's good art and I appreciate it for what it is.  I'm thoroughly entertained by it.

Most of Beck's stuff is available on vinyl as well.  :thumb:

I wish there were more creative artists like Beck out there in today's boring music scene...

Nelgan

• http://www.nelgan.com
Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #11 on: 17 Apr 2003, 04:45 pm »
I'd give a nod to Coldplay as well. And Heather Nova- Siren is great also.

Mathew_M

Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #12 on: 17 Apr 2003, 10:53 pm »
Most of Beck's stuff is available on vinyl as well.  

Unfortunately Sea Change apparently is not coming to vinyl.  It would sound so good too.  The current cd is good but compared to Mutations on vinyl it's just not THERE.

Musichound

Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2003, 11:56 pm »
This was my favorite cd purchase of the last year.

Enough said! :mrgreen:

JoshK

Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #14 on: 18 Apr 2003, 12:25 am »
I have Sea Changes on SACD, think it is ok but I have gotten so many better ones this year it hardly hits the radar.

DTH

Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #15 on: 18 Apr 2003, 09:18 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Hey, I live in South Dakota! :lol:   Well, the truth is I work in a bank, so no music at work.  I don't watch MTV or VH-1, I haven't been in a bar 5 times the last 3 years, and my car radio has every preset set to MPR (Minnesota Public Radio, all classical music 24/7).  My exposure to popular music is very near zero.

Alright, well that makes sense.

My wife & I recently visited my brother in law/sister in law in Lawrence, Kansas. One afternoon we all took a stroll through the main shopping district of this small town that is the home of a large university. The first three shops we browsed (the bike shop, the record store and the place that sells unusual home furnishings) all had Sea Change playing.

There were many good suggestions in this thread for "if you like that then you will like this" but I will throw one in as well, Wilco: "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot."

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Beck, Sea Change (SACD)
« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2003, 05:08 am »
If you like Beck, Coldplay, et al, check out Beth Ortun's "Daybreaker" cd.  Very nice indeed and a similar vibe.