Norah Jones and the Grammys

bob82274

« on: 24 Feb 2003, 05:46 am »
Ok I don't really but much behind the grammys but she made out pretty well.  She took home 5 including Best New Artist and Best Album.  While I would have prefered that the Boss take home the later award I can't say that I'm too disappointed in her getting it.  I picked it up last March or Februarya just as a random CD.  Kinda cool to see it pick up this much publicity.  Kinda like the My Big Fat Greek Wedding of the music world.

MaxCast

« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2003, 12:26 pm »
I guess 5 makes this album worth a buy.  It is on my list but have not ordered it yet.  I listened to a few clips and it passed the "clip test."

Woodsea

« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2003, 01:52 pm »
This is a very relaxing and enjoyable collection of songs.  Safely boxed for a few weeks now.

PeteG

« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2003, 03:20 pm »
I picked up her CD last week, very nice.

I was also lucky enough to watch her & the Grammys
in HDTV & 5.1 audio, it was amazing.

-Pete

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2003, 07:35 pm »
I bought the album pretty much as soon as it came out; I really like it.  Like DK, it may not be "jazz" to "real jazz" fans, but then I don't care much for jazz.  The songs are pretty good and I really love her voice (she has a sort of Eeddie Brickel character to her singing), and the sound of the album is superb.

I don't normally follow the Grammy's, but it is neat to see someone outside the mainstream win it.  Most of the time the awards go to the manufactured, manicured crap peddlers the big labels groom for Cash Cow status.

bob82274

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2003, 08:23 pm »
I don't know if you could call 6 million albums not mainstream but it is way above the mainstream pop in terms of quality.  For the past two years the winner of Album of the Year wasn't in the mainstream to begin with but instead crossed over because they appealed to most people ('O Brother Where Art Thou' Soundtrack last year and Jones this year).

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2003, 08:32 pm »
Mainly I meant that you could take a teenaged blonde, get her a personal trainer and dance instructor, spend $50M on promotion and probably manufacture six million in record sales.  Sure, Jones sold a lot of albums, but I think that blindsided everyone, her and Blue Note, too.  In a way, I think this album sorta parallelled Alanis Morisette's "Jagged Little Pill" in that it was an enormous mainstream success without being overtly commercial.

If you've listened to the album, there really aren't any other songs besides "Don't Know Why" that really have "single" tattoed on them.  I'm not saying Come Away With Me is a stroke of genius, but I do find it refreshing that she's getting recognition without going the hiphop or teen princess route.

Although her looks surely don't hurt her album sales either! :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2003, 08:34 pm »
Speaking of "Brother Where Art Thou", how is it?  I know it's recieved some good press; I just saw it at BB on SACD.  This might be an interesting purchase.

Tonto Yoder

A disssenting view on Norah
« Reply #8 on: 25 Feb 2003, 01:07 am »
I got the CD after seeing her on Jay Leno (I think)--just one of those captivating performances that makes you rush out next day and pay whatever you have to to get the CD. Unfortunately, I found the CD too much of the same thing over and over, so I really don't play it much; many people have said the same thing though, obviously, her sales indicate great popularity.  

In many ways, Norah reminds me of Cowboy Junkies--it's great to hear "Sweet Jane" or "Mining For Gold" but listening to the whole LP can be tiresome.  In this case, Maxcast's clip test may not indicate long term listening enjoyment.

Brandon B

« Reply #9 on: 25 Feb 2003, 01:33 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Speaking of "Brother Where Art Thou", how is it?  I know it's recieved some good press; I just saw it at BB on SACD.  This might be an interesting purchase.

Do you like folk//bluegrass etc?  Did you like the music when you watched the movie?  If any of the above at all, then get it.

BB

shokunin

« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2003, 02:00 am »
CBS did a great job with Dolby Digital 5.1 and 1080i HDTV on last night's Grammys.  Norah sounded wonderful as did S+G.

Marbles

« Reply #11 on: 25 Feb 2003, 02:16 am »
I got my copy tonight and after 8 tracks I couldn't decide if I wanted to go to sleep or slit my wrists.

WAY to much ado about nothing IMO.

Jack Gilvey

« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2003, 11:36 pm »
I got my copy tonight and after 8 tracks I couldn't decide if I wanted to go to sleep or slit my wrists.

So...what'd you decide?   :mrgreen:

Marbles

« Reply #13 on: 26 Feb 2003, 01:53 am »
I slit my wrists, but a passing nurse saved my life.  She thought it was just a desperate attempt for attention.  Really it was just a desperate attempt to listen to different music!

Anyway, she was VERY sympathetic :-)

audioengr

« Reply #14 on: 26 Feb 2003, 05:33 am »
Nora's CD is in my collection for use at shows.  I am listening to it right now.  Excellent recording.

My wife picked-up Josh Groban -  that's a lousy recording.  Too much compression and farting around with the mix, especially the orchestral.  I actually sent his fan-club site a mail with my dissapointment and he should find a new recording engineer.....

Anybody have the DVD version?  Is is better?

PeteG

« Reply #15 on: 6 Apr 2003, 04:36 pm »
Finally had a chance to spin Norah's 200g LP this weekend, what a wonderful sounding LP,  vocals are so intimate & natural sounding the CD was a little compressed & harsh at times (higher notes of "Don't Know Why") I won't bother with the SACD now.
                  -Pete

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 7 Apr 2003, 04:02 am »
I will be bothering with the SACD! :P   Should be out pretty soon.  I'm anxious to compare it to the Redbook version, and I'm curious to see what the do with the MC version.

Thump553

« Reply #17 on: 7 Apr 2003, 03:01 pm »
She is touring this summer with Gillian Welch as the opener.  Should be a real good show.