Review: take SACD and BlURay Hirez directly to your DAC!!!!

Brisso57

Re: Review: take SACD and BlURay Hirez directly to your DAC!!!!
« Reply #460 on: 16 Nov 2012, 06:53 am »
Hi
I've done a quick search but can't find mention of the Dynalink A3830.

https://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/viewprod?productid=A3830

Has anyone here examined /evaluated that unit?

Thanks

Doug

Claude

« Reply #461 on: 16 Nov 2012, 08:37 am »
Which is the best option for Oppo BDP-93, Atlona or Monoprice ???
Is that functions too when the TV is switch off  ??? (For SACD)

I use a Port-ta which is identical to the Monoprice and it works fine with the Oppo 93.

I need to switch on the TV connected to the Port-ta to make a handshake once if the de-embedder was off before, but can then turn it off for the rest of the listening session.

Phil A

« Reply #462 on: 16 Nov 2012, 04:25 pm »
I have both the Port-ta and identical Monoprice units (have one in a secondary system) with upgraded power supplies.  Anything that works with the Squeezebox Touch can be used as a power supply.  The BDP-83 requires no handshake.  The BDP-93 does.  I have the 93 in a secondary system for now but tried it without the handshake like the BDP-83 in the main system to no avail

dminches

« Reply #463 on: 29 Nov 2012, 02:58 am »
So, the CI Audio VDC-SB works with the monoprice unit?  I had no idea.

Has anyone found a device that works with the BDP-95?

Phil A

« Reply #464 on: 29 Nov 2012, 03:21 am »
So, the CI Audio VDC-SB works with the monoprice unit?  I had no idea.

Has anyone found a device that works with the BDP-95?

I assume it is going to be the same as the BDP-93.  When I first got the BDP-93, I had it in the main system for a couple of weeks along side the modded BDP-83 in the main.  The BDP-83 works without a handshake with the Monoprice/Port-ta unit.  I was not able to get the BDP-93 to work that way.  I did not try the BDP-93 with a handshake in the main system.  I moved it to the bedroom system (no de-embedder).  I decided to move things around about a year and a half back and move the BDP-93 to the basement system.  It does work, but requires a handshake (going into my Onkyo 1008 rec'r).  I may buy the 105 in a couple of months and use it in the main system.  But my days of using a de-embedder are probably numbered as I'm working towards digitizing the music collection, including SACDs. 

dminches

« Reply #465 on: 29 Nov 2012, 12:38 pm »
My need for the de-embedder has also waned once I got the Modwright tube modes on my BDP-95 in my main rig.  However, I did set up a second system which has a BDP-83 and a Cary Xciter DAC as the sources.  So, I would like to use the Cary for SACDs and DVD-As.  With the 83 the de-embedder works great.

rbbert

« Reply #466 on: 29 Nov 2012, 02:29 pm »
As I mentioned to David in another forum, my 95 works fine with the Monoprice, no handshake (although some Blurays only play at 48).

dminches

« Reply #467 on: 29 Nov 2012, 03:43 pm »
Rob, it is very strange that we are getting different results with the 95.  When you say "no handshake" you mean that the HDMI output of the monoprice is not connected to anything?

cheap-Jack

« Reply #468 on: 29 Nov 2012, 03:57 pm »
HI.
Hi
I've done a quick search but can't find mention of the Dynalink A3830.

https://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/viewprod?productid=A3830

Has anyone here examined /evaluated that unit?

Thanks

Doug

I got one from an OEM which built such HDMI-RCA converters in China to feed direct to my stereo audio.
It also got VGA O/P for PC monitor & RCA stereo jacks O/P, which the Dynalink does not have.

It sounds pretty good with deep defined bass which I love.

But the price is cheaper cheaper.

Any readers want to buy it, I can arrange bulk ordering for a quantity discount. Send me a PM.

c-J

rbbert

« Reply #469 on: 29 Nov 2012, 04:01 pm »
Rob, it is very strange that we are getting different results with the 95.  When you say "no handshake" you mean that the HDMI output of the monoprice is not connected to anything?

exactly.  Oppo is set to PCM out for SACD.

uncouth

« Reply #470 on: 29 Nov 2012, 05:05 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with a device such as the OP describes and the Oppo BDP-103 ? I'd like to get my SACD's through to a Bryston BDA-2.

Thanks for any info.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #471 on: 29 Nov 2012, 05:11 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with a device such as the OP describes and the Oppo BDP-103 ? I'd like to get my SACD's through to a Bryston BDA-2.

Thanks for any info.

I'm the OP.  :)  And yes, most any of these ($50 Monoprice, etc) will work with the Oppo 103 to de-embed HDMi to 88k PCM (still debatable whether Oppo strips off bits to 16 or leaves them at 24) as long as you set the Oppo's SACD menu setting to PCM.  Frankly, ripping them to DSD (PS3 thread of mine) and then using Audiogate to convert to PCM is a longer-term better approach cuz then you have the DSD files for later use on the BDA-2 when it goes DSD-capable...and short-term you have the ability to convert above 88k (i.e 24/176k) and knowing it is full 24 bit.  More work, though.  :)

uncouth

« Reply #472 on: 29 Nov 2012, 05:39 pm »
I'm the OP.  :)  And yes, most any of these ($50 Monoprice, etc) will work with the Oppo 103 to de-embed HDMi to 88k PCM (still debatable whether Oppo strips off bits to 16 or leaves them at 24) as long as you set the Oppo's SACD menu setting to PCM.  Frankly, ripping them to DSD (PS3 thread of mine) and then using Audiogate to convert to PCM is a longer-term better approach cuz then you have the DSD files for later use on the BDA-2 when it goes DSD-capable...and short-term you have the ability to convert above 88k (i.e 24/176k) and knowing it is full 24 bit.  More work, though.  :)

Thanks ted_b :)

I did read your PS3 thread and that was my initial "project" - though I figured that approach was indeed much more involved. As luck would have it, I have one original PS3 in my possession so perhaps I'll give things a go tonight and see if that's something I can manage on my own. If not, I'll revisit this topic.  Thanks for your input!

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #473 on: 29 Nov 2012, 05:42 pm »
Uncouth,
I sent you a PM with all the links.  Make sure your PS3 is SACD-capable and has firmware 3.55 or below.  Downgrading firmware is not yet possible (for this project) until the newly discovered LV0 keys are implemented (I keep watching for news).

uncouth

« Reply #474 on: 29 Nov 2012, 07:25 pm »
Uncouth,
I sent you a PM with all the links.  Make sure your PS3 is SACD-capable and has firmware 3.55 or below.  Downgrading firmware is not yet possible (for this project) until the newly discovered LV0 keys are implemented (I keep watching for news).

Got it, many thanks. Yes, it's SACD capable and has the old firmware. Hopefully it's not beyond my technical capabilities. I'll report back once I give it a go.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #475 on: 29 Nov 2012, 07:28 pm »
I'm the OP.    And yes, most any of these ($50 Monoprice, etc) will work with the Oppo 103 to de-embed HDMi to 88k PCM (still debatable whether Oppo strips off bits to 16 or leaves them at 24) as long as you set the Oppo's SACD menu setting to PCM. 

I'm doing this right now.   Oppo 103 > HDMI > Monoprice unit > S/Pdif > Benchmark DAC2.  The DAC2 has indicator lights for sample rate and bit depth.  When playing SACDs, I get the 88K and both 16 and 24 bit lights.  According to John Siau at Benchmark, both bit depth lights means higher than 16 but lower than 24. 

BTW, this setup does not require a connected HDMI monitor to work.

I found this quote from 6moons' review of the Burson Conductor DAC interesting (http://6moons.com/audioreviews/burson10/4.html).  Burson recommends the HDMI switcher approach for connecting Ipods/Ipads to their DAC.

For Conductor users with iPods, Burson recommends a $43 HDMI switcher with $25 Apple adapter and $5 HDMI cable. "The real beauty of this no-brand HDMI switcher lies in its performance. It has a better power supply design and our lab test shows significantly lower noise output. That's why it teams perfectly with the ESS90198 in our Conductor and also sounds better."

Russ

rbbert

« Reply #476 on: 29 Nov 2012, 08:27 pm »
Unfortunately, HDMI as presently implemented has extremely high jitter for digital audio (in the thousands of picoseconds, compared to less than one hundred for most modern S/PDIF connections).  That doesn't matter for video (different protocols, timing not so important), but I've found that I prefer the Oppo 95 alone to using a de-embedder, and even more so if your Oppo is modified/upgraded.

jamesg11

« Reply #477 on: 1 Dec 2012, 05:43 am »
"and our lab test shows significantly lower noise output" - & this should be taken with some scepticism, given their PP160 power amp had its online specs downshifted from 95W to 70W ... after 2 years ... same voltage rail, which could never have exceeded the 70W.

Fully agree with the HDMI SQ jitter etc - my experienece with CA650BD & Sony 370 through an Atlona de-embedder via HDMI was a distinct preference for spdif into dac for dvda & analogue to pre for sacd. I shelved the Atlona ... still sitting there, forlornly.

todd95008

« Reply #478 on: 8 Dec 2012, 11:21 pm »
The BDP-83 requires no handshake.  The BDP-93 does.  I have the 93 in a secondary system for now but tried it without the handshake like the BDP-83 in the main system to no avail

Been using the monoprice box with Oppo BDP-93 for quite a while now and I have always got a handshake with TV connected or not ?? I stated this last march http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.msg1061013#msg1061013

For SACD's (main use for Monoprice box) I never have anything connected to the monoprice box HDMI output and I turn power on to that box only when in use. Just turn it on and about 3-5 seconds later the HDMI indicator on the BDP-93 lights up and the lock & sample rate light up on my Bryston BDA-1 DAC.
It has always worked this way !
Best starting place is to have nothing connected to the Monoprice box HDMI out and re-cycle power to it.
Unless you have some other reason to get the BDP-103, I would finally figure out why this does not work in your system (since the BDP-103 will probably act the same).

Todd

Phil A

« Reply #479 on: 9 Dec 2012, 04:12 am »
Been using the monoprice box with Oppo BDP-93 for quite a while now and I have always got a handshake with TV connected or not ?? I stated this last march http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82217.msg1061013#msg1061013

For SACD's (main use for Monoprice box) I never have anything connected to the monoprice box HDMI output and I turn power on to that box only when in use. Just turn it on and about 3-5 seconds later the HDMI indicator on the BDP-93 lights up and the lock & sample rate light up on my Bryston BDA-1 DAC.
It has always worked this way !

Todd

I have it that way except I leave the unit on.  That's one thing I never tried turning on the box only when it use.  It works fine with the BDP-83 the way I have it but no the 93