Review: take SACD and BlURay Hirez directly to your DAC!!!!

dwk

Re: Review: take SACD and BlURay Hirez directly to your DAC!!!!
« Reply #440 on: 19 Mar 2012, 05:57 pm »
Not to go too far afield but I just noticed on the NAD website that the M51 DAC/pre-amp also includes 2 hdmi inputs and one (pass through) output standard. I am guessing the pass through is required to get the handshake?

They do claim that they can get stereo sound from blu-ray.

I just picked up an M51, and unfortunately I can confirm that having a monitor on the pass-thru port is needed to get hi-res over hdmi. I have an Oppo DV-981HD that I use to play SACD, and with no monitor connected it came through as 44.1. Adding the monitor, I got 88.2 as expected.

Trazom

« Reply #441 on: 21 Mar 2012, 05:53 pm »
HI everybody
this is my first post so sorry if I repeat / am out of tune etc.

I have just bought a Oppo 95 and an octava 51 (mod) - attached it to my dCS purcell/delius - the dCS "sees" the 88.2 SACD/PCM signal from Oppo - but then goes mute.

Have tried to attach the TV at octavia - no result.

Does anybody here have some experience with dCS and Oppo 95 / octava or other HDMI converter?

Thank you all - wishing you a wonderful evening

simon wagstaff

« Reply #442 on: 23 Mar 2012, 01:25 pm »
I just picked up an M51, and unfortunately I can confirm that having a monitor on the pass-thru port is needed to get hi-res over hdmi. I have an Oppo DV-981HD that I use to play SACD, and with no monitor connected it came through as 44.1. Adding the monitor, I got 88.2 as expected.

Monitor issue doesn't bother me one bit. I am very curious to see what you have to say about the sound of this unit.

thanks!

Phil A

« Reply #443 on: 25 Mar 2012, 04:43 am »
Ok, I just received the Monoprice and installed it with my Oppo BDP-83.

First strange thing: when i connected the HDMI cable (1.4a 28AWG) to the Oppo, without having connected it to the Monoprice, the coax digital output of the Oppo became mute and the mute led on DAC was on... is it normal?

By the way, I made the first attempt with coax cable directly from Oppo to DAC and toslink from Monoprice to DAC.
Everything was fine, the HDMI logo on front panel of OPPO was on and I listened to a SACD, a DVD-A and an audio CD but coax from OPPO to dac again in mute mode.
Next I decided to change connection, because I preferr coax into DAC but when I disconnected coax from OPPO and connected it to Monoprice I didn't listening anything from DAC; HDMI logo on front panel of OPPO became off and never turned on from then on. I also swapped Monoprice input port from 2 to 4 (in order to use only rear panel connections)

I tried to reset the OPPO to default values and reconfigure it, disconnect Monoprice from power, but nothing, I reverted to the first working configuration but it didn't work anymore; I also tried to swap hdmi cable ends but nothing.
Furthermore the OPPO had the coax output in mute even with the HDMI cable disconnected.

I know this is a disordered way to make tries but I had not so much time; now I can't know what to do and I'm not at home because of my work. I disconnected all from the power since yesterday evening, maybe this could be help? it seems that OPPO went crazy for something...

Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance
What were your Oppo settings? - http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83_Settings_Checklist.pdf
Did you get Monoprice product ID 5557?
What DAC?

jamesg11

« Reply #444 on: 25 Mar 2012, 07:57 am »
Somewhat off topic, but a recent "HiFiNews" (UK) in review of Primare BD32 focused on the Mediatek chip shared by Oppo, Cambridge, Primare etc - it says there is 'bug' (my words) re the bass management. To achieve optimum bass signal you need to set no trim to 'small' ie. all 7 to 'large', & allow the disk to dictate ouputs, 2.1, 5.1 etc. A channel on 'small' or 'off' leads to 'small' for all, regardless of setting. Just a contribution ('spanner in the works'!) re Oppo settings.  Needs to be explored.

wisnon

« Reply #445 on: 25 Mar 2012, 10:18 am »
Monitor issue doesn't bother me one bit. I am very curious to see what you have to say about the sound of this unit.

thanks!

Massive thread on the M51 here: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/40413-nad-m51-has-arrived/page__st__90

simon wagstaff

« Reply #446 on: 25 Mar 2012, 12:21 pm »
Massive thread on the M51 here: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/40413-nad-m51-has-arrived/page__st__90

Thanks for that! Basically it is three pages of some Aussie guys wondering when theirs will show up and one guy who has one saying "it sounds great"

:)

simon wagstaff

« Reply #448 on: 26 Mar 2012, 01:36 pm »
Yep, I am on that thread. Much more useful, they seem to like it but I can't seem to find too much about the HDMI input and sound quality, one guy didn't seem to like it as much as the usb.

Thanks!

dwk

« Reply #449 on: 26 Mar 2012, 04:09 pm »

thanks!

Sounds fantastic in my early listening on redbook over optical. Less sure of the HDMI sound - doesn't seem to have quite the same sense of transparency, and transients seem a bit muted in comparison. This is preliminary though, since I haven't had a chance to do a real A/B with familiar material.  Haven't tried USB at all yet.

wisnon

« Reply #450 on: 27 Mar 2012, 05:22 am »
Yep, I am on that thread. Much more useful, they seem to like it but I can't seem to find too much about the HDMI input and sound quality, one guy didn't seem to like it as much as the usb.

Thanks!
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/40613-nad-m51-listening-impressions/

wisnon

« Reply #451 on: 30 Mar 2012, 08:53 pm »
Tips from a Scandi dealer on getting the best from the M51:

I got something to tell you the about them (M2 M51 C390dd) to guys that have them, try to isolate them from other components electricaly with a good screened powercable preferable with filtering in it or in the powerstrip. Doing that should produce clerly better sound, i was experimenting with different setups and that i noticed about them. Also burn in time was 300 h(M2) before i really started smiling like an idiot! Also if you can dont bother shutting them down expecially the first 2 weeks, they usually sound better after 45 minutes.

I ´d love for anyone to try some of that stuff.

intermediatic

« Reply #452 on: 30 Sep 2012, 03:43 pm »
Alright, here's my contribution to the fray.

I have an OPPO BDP-95, the monoprice 5557 box, and a Cary Xciter DAC connected to a Cary SLP-03 preamp which feeds two adcom 545 MK II power amps, each of which feeds one B & W 603s3 speaker as well as to B & W ASW 608 subs (two subs! always better than one).

Let's try listening to Dark Side of the Moon, blu-ray disk from the Immersion set, shall we? This is supposed to be 96/24.

After a bit of tweaking, I do have it coming out of my DAC. I MUST start with the TV on, although unlike say the King Crimson DVD-A which MUST have the TV on the entire time, once I'm out of the setup menu (which is irritating since apparently I have to choose stereo mix EVERY time I play the disc), the TV goes blank. Thank you PF.

Anyway, I've set the Oppo to send audio over HDMI as LPCM not bitstream since the Xciter cannot decode bistream.

Again, DSotM is set to stereo mix, not 5.1.

When I have the Monoprice on 2 channel, it outputs at 48khz. If I have it set to 5 channel it outputs at 96khz.

What gives?

That said, at least on this disc, I can't really see much difference between the BDP-95 analog output and the DAC doing the decoding.

On the other hand, if I have a normal CD, I give the edge to the Cary DAC over the BDP-95.

rbbert

« Reply #453 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:00 pm »
Well this may confuse things even more.  On the 2 Blurays I've tried so far (Steven Wilson's new live one and Schubert Complete Overtures on Naxos - this one is audio only), the LPCM stereo track comes out as 96 kHz, but the DTS-HD 5.1 comes out 48 kHz whether I select 2ch or 5.1ch on the Monoprice.  I don't have any TV hooked up at all, and have an Oppo 95 also.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #454 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:08 pm »
Well this may confuse things even more.  On the 2 Blurays I've tried so far (Steven Wilson's new live one and Schubert Complete Overtures on Naxos - this one is audio only), the LPCM stereo track comes out as 96 kHz, but the DTS-HD 5.1 comes out 48 kHz whether I select 2ch or 5.1ch on the Monoprice.  I don't have any TV hooked up at all, and have an Oppo 95 also.

Not surprising.  The Monoprice is not a DTS decoder.  The core DTS is indeed 48k (DTS2496 is a misonomer, in that the 96k piece is only an out-of-core add-on and only available through a decoder for DTS codecs).  The LPCM track is 96k (no decoding needed of course).

rbbert

« Reply #455 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:32 pm »
I do have the Oppo set to output LPCM over HDMI; shouldn't that decode the DTS-HD in the Oppo?  According to the Oppo manual, set that way it should output in LPCM up to 7.1 in 24/96 and 5.1 to 24/192?

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #456 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:37 pm »
I do have the Oppo set to output LPCM over HDMI; shouldn't that decode the DTS-HD in the Oppo?  According to the Oppo manual, set that way it should output in LPCM up to 7.1 in 24/96 and 5.1 to 24/192?

Yes,. but DTS HD decodes down to 48k in multichannel.  Not sure about DTS HD MA (which claims an "up to 24/192").

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #457 on: 1 Oct 2012, 09:58 pm »
HI everybody
this is my first post so sorry if I repeat / am out of tune etc.

I have just bought a Oppo 95 and an octava 51 (mod) - attached it to my dCS purcell/delius - the dCS "sees" the 88.2 SACD/PCM signal from Oppo - but then goes mute.

Have tried to attach the TV at octavia - no result.

Does anybody here have some experience with dCS and Oppo 95 / octava or other HDMI converter?

Thank you all - wishing you a wonderful evening

Welcome to AC.  Sorry that it took me 6 months to reply...

rbbert

« Reply #458 on: 1 Oct 2012, 10:00 pm »
Yes,. but DTS HD decodes down to 48k in multichannel.  Not sure about DTS HD MA (which claims an "up to 24/192").

Thus my confusion, since these discs are DTS-HD MA.

ti_punch

« Reply #459 on: 6 Oct 2012, 01:58 pm »
Hello everybody,

Which is the best option for Oppo BDP-93, Atlona or Monoprice ???
Is that functions too when the TV is switch off  ??? (For SACD)
Thanks a lot