What classical music you listening to, luv?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: What classical music you listening to, luv?
« Reply #1100 on: 24 Sep 2014, 04:49 am »

Sviatoslav Richter at Carnegie Hall   Beethoven Sonata op 10 #3  and a bunch of Rachmaninoff preludes
On Columbia 6 eye mono.

S Clark

« Reply #1102 on: 9 Oct 2014, 03:12 am »
Today was set aside for listening to Vaughan Williams' Sinfonia Antartica.  I've listened to EMI digital recording with Haitink, Sir Adrian Boult on EMI/HMV from a boxed set, and Previn on RCA with the London Sym.  This is music to make me appreciate my line source LS9 speakers.  Listening on my smaller system just doesn't get the goosebumps.

In short, the RCA is a Dynavector and lacks spacial clues (blah recording), the Haitink is nicely recorded and does most things well, but look for the Vaughan Williams box set.  Adrian Boult does this dramatic music with passion that Haitink just doesn't have- and if you are describing the daunting Antarctic terrain, polite just doesn't cut it.

Look for EMI SLS1547083 box of 7 lp's. 

S Clark

« Reply #1103 on: 15 Oct 2014, 04:30 am »
Picked up Beethoven 7th sym with Bruno Walter on a Columbia 6 eye mono.  Very different take from other versions I own.  Walter emphasizes the horns and woodwinds in the body of the symphony more... or pushes the first violin and melody back a bit.  The result is you find yourself hearing deeper into the orchestra and not focusing on the melody as much.  It's an interesting variation. Picture is the stereo version.

S Clark

« Reply #1104 on: 6 Nov 2014, 02:11 am »
Wife's out of town and I've been redoing the small room system. My X-Statik speakers are now being driven by the pair of Eico/Dodd 6qb5 mono amps.  Imaging is great with such musical mids. 
Listening to Appalachian Spring on Sound 80, a great recording.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1105 on: 6 Nov 2014, 02:55 am »
Shostakovich's 10th on the Melodiya label.  Somethin I hadn't listened to in a long while.  I have his 5th and 8th on that label, too, with the USSR Symphony. 

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #1106 on: 15 Nov 2014, 11:05 pm »
Aaron Copland - Copland Conducts Copland: An Outdoor Overture; Our Town; Two Pieces for String Orchestra; Quiet City

S Clark

« Reply #1107 on: 17 Nov 2014, 07:01 pm »
Mozart Concerto #25 in C, and the Don Giovanni Overture on a very spacious Victrola recording.
Music like this is why I have large speakers!

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1108 on: 17 Nov 2014, 08:22 pm »
Some Monteverdi as performed by The Clemencic Consort on the Harmonia Mundi label.

Elgar's FALSTAFF-Symphonic Study, Fantasia and Fugue in C Minor, and The Sanguine Fan as performed by The London Phil with Boult conducting (EMI).

etcarroll

« Reply #1109 on: 27 Nov 2014, 01:03 am »
Franz Schubert /  New Vienna Octet  ‎– Octet In F Major, Op. 166, D.803

etcarroll

« Reply #1110 on: 27 Nov 2014, 09:44 pm »
Sir Edward Elgar -  Stokowski*,  Czech Philharmonic Orchestra* -  Ainslee Cox,  Royal Philharmonic Orchestra*   ‎– Music Of Sir Edward Elgar / Enigma Variations / Serenade For Strings / Elegy For Strings

Pressed In England By Decca.

etcarroll

« Reply #1111 on: 28 Nov 2014, 01:59 am »
Dvǒŕak* /  Spohr*,  Members Of The Vienna Octet*   ‎– Quintet In G Major (Op. 77) / Quintet In C Minor (Op. 52)
I have a later release under the London label.

S Clark

« Reply #1112 on: 30 Nov 2014, 04:14 am »
Dinu Lipatti on Angel  in 1950 "His Last Recital".   At 33, Lipatti was dying of Hodgkin's disease and played an inspired performance.  Lacking some of the power of his earlier work, the sensitivity of this recording is moving- even if the recital was cut short by his exhaustion.  I think he was one of the best of pianist of the first half of the century. Highly recommended for fans of romantic piano.

jimtranr

« Reply #1113 on: 6 Dec 2014, 10:31 pm »

Even in its Angel incarnation, this is a gorgeous-sounding recording, and Baribirolli's 1967 reading conveys the grandeur of the Second Symphony.

S Clark

« Reply #1114 on: 9 Dec 2014, 05:25 am »

Even in its Angel incarnation, this is a gorgeous-sounding recording, and Baribirolli's 1967 reading conveys the grandeur of the Second Symphony.
I don't think I've ever heard a rendition of Sibelius' second that I didn't enjoy.  It's just wonderful music. 
Another that I always enjoy is Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto.  I just picked up a version with Erica Morini on Westminster.  The Heifitz version has always been my favorite, but she does so many things so well that I may have to re-think that.  Heifitz tried to get her to teach him her staccato technique, but he couldn't do it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #1115 on: 9 Dec 2014, 06:04 am »
One more step in my journey to appreciate opera (and Wagner in particular) - Gergiev doing Die Walkure:

rockadanny

« Reply #1116 on: 9 Dec 2014, 02:06 pm »

ACHiPo

« Reply #1117 on: 14 Dec 2014, 05:20 pm »
A splendid recording of Mahler's Symphony No. 5 from Water Lily Acoustics

Simply recorded with Blumlein method, it is a great recording of a very good performance.  I only wish I could find the SACD for a decent price, but the redbook is not bad.

ACHiPo

« Reply #1118 on: 14 Dec 2014, 05:23 pm »
Another great recording from Water Lily.  This one is still available on hybrid SACD for a decent price.

Saint Petersburg Academic Symphony Orchestra, Alexander Dmitriev conducting Shostakovich Symphony No. 7.

ACHiPo

« Reply #1119 on: 14 Dec 2014, 05:24 pm »
One more step in my journey to appreciate opera (and Wagner in particular) - Gergiev doing Die Walkure:

Tyson,
That's more of a leap than a step.  :lol:  Let us know how it goes.

AC