Cheap and Cheerful tube phono preamp?

chgolatin2

Cheap and Cheerful tube phono preamp?
« on: 2 Jan 2018, 04:14 am »
Recommendations for a cheap and cheerful tube phono pre amp? :scratch:  Go!  thanks

starkiller

Re: Cheap and Cheerful tube phono preamp?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jan 2018, 01:01 am »
Many many kudos for the Parks Audio Budgie!! Love mine :)

chgolatin2

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jan 2018, 04:17 pm »
Many many kudos for the Parks Audio Budgie!! Love mine :)

Thanks, I actuallyy have the Parks Audio Budgie it's ok but I'm not happy with it~ Looking to upgrade to either an Aric Audio transcend or Don Sachs unit but my budget is between $1200 or below, not sure if this qualifies for cheap and cheerful~   :scratch: :?

starkiller

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jan 2018, 04:21 pm »
$1200 is a bit steep yes :)  What don't you like about the Budgie??

mick wolfe

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jan 2018, 04:25 pm »
Recommendations for a cheap and cheerful tube phono pre amp? :scratch:  Go!  thanks

Maybe the Yaqin MS23B. You can find it on Amazon, so there's a 30 day return option. I have a couple friends who are quite happy with them in budget systems.

yeldarb

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2018, 12:15 am »
See AVA.

yeldarb

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2018, 12:17 am »
Sorry, missed that you just want a phono pre.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2018, 01:20 am »
AVA has a phono preamp, no tubes but $499 will get you excellent sound.
http://avahifi.com/products/for-vinyl-lovers/vision-riaa-phono-preamplifier

Jim Hagerman's phono preamps have extremely well designed circuits. I built an upgraded Cornet2 from a kit and love it. The pre-assembled Cornet3 is basically the same with two 12AX7's and a 12AU7 tube but without the massive transformer and rectifier tube. $459.00 and you could always make a nicer case later or spray paint it Ferrari red.
https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/collections/phono-preamps

Save some money and eliminate the tubes with Bugle2 kit for $49 (circuit board only) or an assembled Bugle3 for $239.

I had a Bottlehead phono preamp before the Cornet2 and the comparison between the two did not go well for the Bottlehead, the Cornet2 was exponentially better in every department.

chgolatin2

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2018, 07:34 am »
AVA has a phono preamp, no tubes but $499 will get you excellent sound.
http://avahifi.com/products/for-vinyl-lovers/vision-riaa-phono-preamplifier

Jim Hagerman's phono preamps have extremely well designed circuits. I built an upgraded Cornet2 from a kit and love it. The pre-assembled Cornet3 is basically the same with two 12AX7's and a 12AU7 tube but without the massive transformer and rectifier tube. $459.00 and you could always make a nicer case later or spray paint it Ferrari red.
https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/collections/phono-preamps

Save some money and eliminate the tubes with Bugle2 kit for $49 (circuit board only) or an assembled Bugle3 for $239.

I had a Bottlehead phono preamp before the Cornet2 and the comparison between the two did not go well for the Bottlehead, the Cornet2 was exponentially better in every department.

Thanks, I'll look into it~  Much appreciated

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 4 Jan 2018, 06:30 pm »
It's fine for the op to independently pursue a budget of $1,200, but our recommendations have to stay within guidelines, which are loosely enforced.  WGH did a perfect job of this, I'd look to his post as a guideline on how to reply.

bentconvert

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jan 2018, 09:08 pm »
+1 on Hagerman products. I also built an upgraded Cornet2 from a kit and am very pleased with it.