Calculate Your Heart Life Span

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

WGH

Re: Calculate Your Heart Life Span
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2017, 01:33 am »
Based on that calculator I should have been dead 20 years ago.
Remember: Live hard, die young, leave a good looking corpse. It's too late for me.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2017, 02:34 am »
So far, so good.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2017, 02:56 am »
Looks like I’m good for another 120 years, assuming I don’t get hit by a car, shot by gun nutter, stabbed by a woman, poisoned by a rival, electrocuted by an exicutioner, crushed by something really heavy, drown in a boating accident, drink myself to death, and so on and so on...

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2017, 03:21 am »
Based on that calculator I should have been dead 20 years ago.
Remember: Live hard, die young, leave a good looking corpse. It's too late for me.
What is you heart rate in rest?

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2017, 05:40 am »
What is you heart rate in rest?

My resting heart rate is close to my age, 66 beats per minute at 69 years old. It's more than double that when I crank out 5 - 90 step/minute intervals on the Stairmaster twice a week for the last 8 years.

jules

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2017, 06:42 am »
 :) but as I understand it, the idea that you have a finite number of heart beats to use over a lifetime has been debunked.

I suspect that if you tried to conserve heart beats by spending all your time sitting on your lounge at the perfect listening spot, you could die early, even if you were enjoying the moment.

It's all very well for Mr. Hiroshi Hayashi to put up that theory but how many people has he monitored over a lifetime eh?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2017, 08:11 am »
The Information age has goose-stepped us into the misinformation age. Now, with the whole world and all of history at our fingertips, we don't know what to believe. I find cause for worry in this.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2017, 10:31 am »
Sorry FRM but this is a pile of crap.

Slow heart rates can be a sign of heart disease.  My Dad got a pacemaker because of his slow heart rate.  I have the same and under the care of a cardiologist, but no pacemaker for me (yet).  Most pacemakers are set to 70 beats per minute.

Photon46

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2017, 02:40 pm »
As with many things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle and the truth is that one's heart rate is one of many indicators of overall health. There's no doubt that heart rate is a good indicator of cardiovascular fitness. I'm 64 and my heart rate at rest is 55 but I do lots of various activities that promote cv fitness. Someone else my age that wasn't active with same heart rate could have a possible indicator of a problem as previously mentioned. One's emotional equilibrium also often affects heart rate and an anxious angry person is likely to have both elevated heart rate and stress hormone levels, neither of which are good for us long term.

coke

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2017, 05:22 pm »
Here's my heart rate data from a mountain bike race.  Duration = 1 hour.  Average heart = 183.  Max = 194.    If that looks bad, I have an upcoming race that will take about 6 hours to complete  :o

32 years old, 5'11, 155 pounds

Shakeydeal

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2017, 05:27 pm »
Looks like I’m good for another 120 years, assuming I don’t get hit by a car, shot by gun nutter, stabbed by a woman, poisoned by a rival, electrocuted by an exicutioner, crushed by something really heavy, drown in a boating accident, drink myself to death, and so on and so on...

One thing's almost certain. If you get shot, it won't be by an NRA member. Go hang out in Chicago though, and your chances increase exponentially.........

Shakey

genjamon

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2017, 09:09 pm »
Here's my heart rate data from a mountain bike race.  Duration = 1 hour.  Average heart = 183.  Max = 194.    If that looks bad, I have an upcoming race that will take about 6 hours to complete  :o

32 years old, 5'11, 155 pounds

Yeah, but what's your resting rate?  As a fellow cyclist with intense training tendencies, my resting rate is in the 45-50 bpm range, with competition sustained rates in the 170's, redlining at around 185 when in peak condition.  37yrs old. 

coke

« Reply #13 on: 7 Dec 2017, 09:18 pm »
Yeah, but what's your resting rate?  As a fellow cyclist with intense training tendencies, my resting rate is in the 45-50 bpm range, with competition sustained rates in the 170's, redlining at around 185 when in peak condition.  37yrs old.

Resting is typically 50's.  Max was 195 last time I checked.  Just posted the data above in response to the comments regarding a finite number  of beats. 

genjamon

« Reply #14 on: 7 Dec 2017, 09:26 pm »
Well, my point is that good fitness lowers resting rate substantially.  I'm not sure if that offsets the elevated rates during exercise fully, but it probably could quite easily.  Not that I put any stock in the calculator's overall underlying assumption of finite beats in a lifetime, but if it were true, I'm just saying that elevated rates during exercise are maybe not an issue due to the offsets from resting.