Linked Events

• GAS Vinyl Crawl 2014: 3 May 2014

GAS Vinyl Crawl 2014

daves

Re: GAS Vinyl Crawl 2014
« Reply #20 on: 14 Apr 2014, 03:29 pm »
A little update - I got the silent Mcintosh mc30 back from mike, and it sings beautifully along with its brother on the Altec 19s. Youse guys are in for a treat...

Mr Peabody

« Reply #21 on: 20 Apr 2014, 11:55 pm »
Did any one else realize that 5/4, the day after the Crawl, is the Record Show at Czech Hall?  What a weekend :)

jedi35

« Reply #22 on: 23 Apr 2014, 06:17 am »
May 4th is also the date of the McGurk event. It looks like I'm out of the running for both events, as I have two shows at the Fox Theater on both days. Have fun guys.

Adrian

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #23 on: 27 Apr 2014, 12:44 pm »
I will probably be able to attend the Vinyl Crawl

Blackmore

« Reply #24 on: 27 Apr 2014, 01:48 pm »
Glad to have you on board Ken.

We're going to start at Record Exchange at 10:00 am.  The Columbia gang will meet us there and we can shop for an hour or so.  When we've worn out our welcome, we'll head towards the Delmar Loop and check out Vintage Vinyl and some lunch.  After lunch we need to decide if it is Euclid Records or go directly to Dave's house to hear our purchases on some Altec 19 driven by McIntosh tubes.   

Record Exchange is 5320 Hampton Ave.

Vintage Vinyl is 6610 Delmar Blvd.

Euclid Records is 19 North Gore Ave.

See you guys at Record Exchange this coming Saturday at 10 am.  I will have two boxes of free records in my trunk if anybody wants to take home a door prize for coming on the crawl.  Nothing great, just stuff I don't want in my house anymore and you might like it.  Some ECM records and some real stinkers, too.  Oh, and before I forget, I get first dibs on any KISS items on the crawl to get for SteveK for not being with us on the crawl. One last thing; Bob in St. Louis, a collection of yodeling records will be coming to House Springs soon since you're not able to get off work to join us.  Paybacks and all... :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #25 on: 27 Apr 2014, 02:47 pm »
One last thing; Bob in St. Louis, a collection of yodeling records will be coming to House Springs soon since you're not able to get off work to join us.  Paybacks and all... :lol:
Uhhhmmmm....... I think my doorbell is broken that day.

daves

« Reply #26 on: 27 Apr 2014, 06:07 pm »
Mark, Liam has decided to run with the trumpet for sixth grade band. If you have any unwanted/extra ECMs with brass that you think are accessible for him, set one or two aside. This might be the start of something great, or a blast between the eyes.  :o

daves

« Reply #27 on: 30 Apr 2014, 01:16 pm »
After a little prodding, Bill at Winston Electronics said he definitely would have the JBL LE14-1s refoamed no later than Friday, so we will have the JBL 250tis available for listening, as well as the Altecs and Klipsch downstairs.

Blackmore

« Reply #28 on: 2 May 2014, 01:39 am »
About 36 hours to go until the Vinyl Crawl.  We've had some late cancellations, but we're still on for Saturday morning at Record Exchange, moving  to Vintage Vinyl then over to Dave's house to hear some vintage gear (JBL, McIntosh, Altec, etc)

See you guys at 10 am at Record Exchange.

Scott F.

« Reply #29 on: 2 May 2014, 02:02 am »
I'll likely be a no-show this time around.

daves

« Reply #30 on: 2 May 2014, 06:06 pm »
Hey Scott, if you can't make the crawl, try to stop by the house anytime after 1 pm. I'm breaking the LE14-1 woofers in now following the refoam, and they are sounding quite tasty. I don't know how long Colleen will let me keep these, if you catch my drift.  :icon_lol:

Blackmore

« Reply #31 on: 3 May 2014, 11:27 pm »
Had a nice time on the crawl.  I'll post pictures later since my service is slow today.  We started at Record Exchange with Jim, Bryan, Mark, Vance, Ken, Dave, Liam, Michael and David.  The store seemed better organized today and Ken discovered the joys of boxed classical.  Cheap, in excellent condition and you can almost reach them over the stacks of records in the way.  We then went to Vintage Vinyl and scored a few more buys and then broke for some lunch.  Vance and I ate at Seoul Taco and it was KILLER.  If you haven't tried it, head down to the loop soon.  Great funky food.

Ended up at Dave's house and heard two systems.  In the main room was Klipsch RF 7 (?) driven by one of those uber-cool vintage Yamaha receivers with the silver faceplates.  Source was a dumpster find ( :o ) Thorens table that Steve scored and it sounded just fine.  I'm checking my local dumpsters this weekend to see if the Thorens Bunny left any for me. Kent also stopped by for a listen.  Second system was the Altec 19 driven by Mac mc-30 mono blocs.  Pretty cool!!!!  Just pretty darned cool.  It was a pleasure to get to hear this combination playing some Steely Dan. 

Here's a list of my vinyl purchases for the day;
Gary Wright--The Light of Smiles
London Symphonic Band--Bach for Band (quadrophonic)
Hugo Montenegro--The Man from U.N.C.L.E.  just for the cover alone
Maurice Andre--Concertos for Trumpet/Orchestra  Hummel and Fasch
Glenn Gould--Bach Toccatas vol. 2
Dave Loggins--Apprentice
Jaco Pastorius--Modern American Music....Period!
Robert Ellis--The Lights from the Chemical Plant  2 record set at 45 rpm
Max Load-Max Load.  This is the punk rock band from Belleville that our own Mike Yaffe played in during the late 70's.  And he autographed it for me when we listened to it over at Dave's house. :rock:

A very nice day and it was great to see everyone again and listen to some fun tunes.

Blackmore

« Reply #32 on: 4 May 2014, 12:35 am »
As promised some shots of today's crawl

Row after row of beautiful used vinyl and cd

Jim checking some titles for Bryan

SteveK, you're safe.  I didn't buy either one of these

Dave and Jim in the stacks contemplating the New Madrid fault lines. Watch for falling speakers

Four R2R for your tape needs.

daves

« Reply #33 on: 4 May 2014, 01:15 am »
It was fun hunting for the ever elusive groups Liam and I seek. No luck finding anything Helen Merrill in the jazz section, no Jon Anderson Seven Songs, and nothing by the Dillards. Still quite fun seeing all the music, and thanks to Mark for bringing some quality trumpet albums for Liam.  8)

A big hi to Vance, who I think made it over for the first time.  :D

vhiner

« Reply #34 on: 29 May 2014, 12:41 am »
Dave it was great meeting you and seeing all the cool vintage gear!   :dance:

Mr Peabody

« Reply #35 on: 1 Jun 2014, 03:14 am »
Hi, it was nice to meet some of you for the first time.  I ended up with a nice copy of Yes Songs from Record Exchange, good music but production could have been better.  Got about 16 more LP's at the Record Show the next day.  A couple I may have to discard, Harry Chapan has a warp on the edge, funny one side will play but the side with the song I want will not, also snagged Mason Proffit for cheap but unfortunately one side is in pretty bad shape, on the up side I was able to listen to the other side and decided the album, Wanted, is worth buying, reviews on the CD mentioned not so great sound on CD, I may pay more and get it on vinyl, there are new available. 

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #36 on: 15 Dec 2014, 12:55 am »
A friend from the Yahoo Bozak forum sent me some interesting articles about LP sales.
http://www.statista.com/statistics/188822/lp-album-sales-in-the-united-states-since-2009/
http://news.slashdot.org/story/14/12/14/1527220/vinyl-record-pressing-plants-struggle-to-keep-up-with-demand
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/the-biggest-music-comeback-of-2014-vinyl-records/ar-BBgF6m7
I was surprised that the market for CDs is only 20 times larger than the market for LPs.  I would have thought that the LP market would be 1/100th the size or smaller.
That's probably more of a reflection of CD sales going down versus digital downloading, even though the number of LPs sold has increased 49% over last year's sales.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/01/06/vinyl_lp_sales_hit_22_year_record_in_2013_digital_music_sales_down_chart.html
Ken