Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?

Jeff_From_Michigan

Re: Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?
« Reply #300 on: 23 Jun 2016, 02:38 pm »
Hello all,
I have a question about the screw holes where the stands attach to my 3.6's:
On one speaker, the holes have become loose (too much sliding, repositioning) so that the stand is not secured properly to the speaker any more.
Is there some kind of an easy fix for this loose fit problem? 
Do I need to get aftermarket stands with additional screw holes? If so, any brand and model recommendations?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Pryso

« Reply #301 on: 23 Jun 2016, 05:43 pm »
Hi Jeff,

Easy fix - insert a wood toothpick into the hole and break off/cut at surface level.  Re-thread original screw into hole.

Best fix - drill out hole (if necessary) and tap in metal insert.  Then install appropriate length and tread machine screw or bolt.

Jeff_From_Michigan

« Reply #302 on: 25 Jun 2016, 10:59 am »
Thanks, Pryso.

I think I prefer fix #2.  I was hoping that someone from Magnepan might reply, but it would probably be hard to beat that solution. Again, much appreciated.

raymond-in-dc

« Reply #303 on: 22 Sep 2016, 12:36 am »
I have a question about Magnepan's new wall mounted panels. I presume they're dipoles like the standard Maggies, so how is it those models - the MC1 and the MMG-W can work against the wall and not have the out of phase back radiation not cancel the front radiation? I'd love to go for something like the MMG or .7, but understand those won't work close to the wall.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #304 on: 22 Sep 2016, 09:49 pm »
Here you go:

The principle is to send the rear wave on a journey so that it comes back delayed at least 10 milliseconds. (Think billiard shots.) That means that it sounds best if kept away from corners.

The boundary effect of the wall means that the balance of the speaker must be adjusted for the reduction in out phase lower frequencies---which is the reason that floor-standing model can have elevated lower frequencies if mounted on a wall.

marleymarl

« Reply #305 on: 26 Nov 2016, 09:09 pm »
I'm considering utilizing a pair of Magnepan MG1.7i in a home theater set up but concerned whether or not this room is too small. What is Magnepan's recommendation/thoughs? The ceiling is 8ft high. Looking to have at least a 5.1 system, perhaps even 7.1. Postive/negative responses welcomed.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #306 on: 26 Nov 2016, 10:47 pm »
I'll pass it along but I'd say you'll be fine.

marleymarl

« Reply #307 on: 27 Nov 2016, 08:42 am »
Thanks Steve. Additionally, I'm visualizing using the MMG-W for side/rear surrounds along with a CC5/DWM up front. Audio equipment by either NAD or ARCAM along with Emotiva power amps with a Rhythmic sub rounding out the bottom end. I would like to do a projection system but wondering if the height of the 1.7i will interfere with the projection. I think in this room, the 1.7i can only be placed a max of around 1.5ft~2ft from the front wall. Hmmm...your thoughts or rather Magenpan's thoughts...hehe  :D

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #308 on: 27 Nov 2016, 01:13 pm »
Wendell is probably still sleeping off Thanksgiving but if you're only pulling the speakers 2' out from the wall I don't think you'll be too happy with the sound.  You want 4 to 5 foot out into the room.
The DMW/CC5 combo should be real good, the MMG-Ws are okay but nothing wonderful. 
MMGs on hinges would be a better choice (I have both so an A/B comparison is real easy).

mav52

« Reply #309 on: 27 Nov 2016, 03:41 pm »
It would be nice if they had a model that would work about 3 feet from the wall, I got to try a pair of 1.7i, what a nice sounding speaker but to work their best they were out 6 feet into the room.   (14x25x10)

josh358

« Reply #310 on: 27 Nov 2016, 04:32 pm »
It would be nice if they had a model that would work about 3 feet from the wall, I got to try a pair of 1.7i, what a nice sounding speaker but to work their best they were out 6 feet into the room.   (14x25x10)

In my experience, 3' is actually OK -- you get more depth at 5', but I could live with 3' if I had to (and have at times). However, on-wall mounting might be a better solution. As Wendell pointed out, you want to maximize the path length of the reflected back wave for the best possible imaging. Ideally, the first reflections reach your ears more than 10 ms after the direct sound. At 3' out, it's roughly 6 ms, which will compromise spatial reproduction a bit. With the wall mounted speakers, the back wave will skitter towards the side walls and reflect from those to your ears, so whether you get more or less of a delay will depend on where you have to mount the speakers, which will depend in turn on room geometry and screen size. If you figure out where you're sitting and go for a standard 60 degree stereo spread, you can figure out where the on-walls will go. Then pretend that there are mirrors on the side walls -- angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance -- and that will allow you to calculate the path length to your seat: sound travels at roughly 1000 ft/sec so each foot will give you about a millisecond of delay.

You can ameliorate the effect of the 3' distance by putting QRD diffusors at the first reflection points on the front wall. If you get a motorized screen, they could live behind the screen -- they won't work obviously when the screen is down (unless you get an acoustically transparent one), but that won't be much of a compromise when you're watching movies or TV, it matters more for music.

You won't be able to see over the tops of the speakers nohow! If only one or two people are going to be watching, you can put the speakers to either side of the screen (still 3' in front of the wall of course) and still get a nice size screen with a field of view that meets SMPTE specs. I did it with a 114" screen and a pair of MMG's and it worked fine -- floor standing Maggies can be within 2' of a sidewall or even closer if you equalize down the bass a few dB. OTOH, if you're going to invite the neighborhood and have theater-style seating, you'll need to space the speakers further apart (> 60 degrees) and you'll need a center channel, which you need for theater-style seating anyway to anchor the dialogue.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #311 on: 27 Nov 2016, 04:35 pm »
I'm one of the minority who think the whole "maggies have to be out in the middle of the room" is BS. It's a "nice to have" not "must have". Same with "Maggie's need hundreds of watts of power". Again - nice to have not must.

If you do have them close to a rear wall use some absorption behind to address excessive back slap of sound messing up sound coming from front. Same holds true for other dipole planars. I've purposefully used sloppy language to describe this.

I've been a bit disappointed with mmg-w and CC's. They just don't extend down enough in the low frequency even for surround duty and much less for CC duty. Yes - you get the wrap around dipole affect which is nice. But because the  LF is so lacking the receiver / pre pro sets the crossover point too high (like 200hz) and then your sub starts trying to play it back (bad). You end up having to manually set the crossover point on the surround lower to compensate or else you get this muffled dialogue coming out of the sub.

So I would echo SF that for side surrounds use MMGs full size on diy hinges. This what I do though it takes some work and they are big. For rear surrounds I have compromised with MMG-Ws. Still a lot of material that's not native 7.1. Its more for fill in effect so I dont sweat it as much.

The Maggie CCs have been the biggest disappointment. Adding the DMW is kludgy. And adding the cost of that ANd CC5 gets expensive. If you have the space I'd recommend the MMG on its side. I tired that once (before using it for side surround) and it was the best by far. Even if you only use one it's still only $600 a pair. You could probably resell the other to someone else who wants to do the same.

Continuing with my CC rant - Maggie's are so revealing that I'm finding often on programs the CC sound is so badly recorded that I think my CC is broken. Distorted / honky / etc. Sometimes even within the same blu ray movie - good / bad / good. What I've come to realize is that it's not the speaker but the recording. The MMG is in some ways "warmer" than the QR based CC5 so it's actually more forgiving. I would look at placing absorption behind it though as it's not practical often to place a CC too far out.

mr_bill

« Reply #312 on: 27 Nov 2016, 05:44 pm »
I agree with jarcher.
I've owned maggie 3 series a couple times. They sound great but who has a mansion or a wife that will put them way out in a room?!  Put close to wall, enjoy and slide out into room for listening session if need be.

mav52

« Reply #313 on: 27 Nov 2016, 06:18 pm »
I agree with jarcher.
I've owned maggie 3 series a couple times. They sound great but who has a mansion or a wife that will put them way out in a room?!  Put close to wall, enjoy and slide out into room for listening session if need be.

The wife loved the sound, but the first thing out of her lovely mouth, you aren't going to leave them there are you  :duh:

But they really sounded great out in the open, and I didn't have any WAF friendly diffusors to try them pushed back towards the wall. But liked the speakers.

mcgsxr

« Reply #314 on: 27 Nov 2016, 08:09 pm »
When I owned 1.6's I tried them anywhere from 2-5 feet into my room.  I settled on 40 inches as ideal for me.

I used a Crown XLS 1500 and really enjoyed that pairing.  Wish I had owned the Audio Refinement amp I do now.

I may eventually try MMG's again once my cats grow up more. 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #315 on: 28 Nov 2016, 10:19 pm »
Good answer from mr_bill.
That partially covers Wendell's question which is do they look too big?
If looks aren't the issue, the question is are they too big acoustically?  If that's the question, I'd say not at all and I would also say to give Wendell a buzz as he's been at this a long time and can set these things up in his sleep.

Pryso

« Reply #316 on: 29 Nov 2016, 06:43 pm »
I think it becomes a question of where do they sound good VS where do they sound best?

But there are alternatives for those who must place Maggies somewhat close to the front wall.  Move them out for critical listening as mr_bill suggested, otherwise they should be fine closer to the wall for background/casual listening.  Also, one can experiment with dispersion devices on the wall directly behind the speaker to minimize directly reflected sound.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2016, 04:53 am by Pryso »

marleymarl

« Reply #317 on: 30 Nov 2016, 01:14 am »
I think it becomes a question of where do the sound good VS where do they sound best?

But there are alternatives for those who must place Maggies somewhat close to the front wall.  Move them out for critical listening as mr_bill suggested, otherwise they should be fine closer to the wall for background/casual listening.  Also, one can experiment with dispersion devices on the wall directly behind the speaker to minimize directly reflected sound.
[
Ill go with that...sounds good to me  :thumb:

SwamisCat

« Reply #318 on: 14 Dec 2016, 06:17 pm »
My question for Magnepan is if they plan on making more of a presence at this year's Axpona show?

With the demise of so many local audio stores, it is essential that people get a chance to hear speakers. The new trend is for tens of thousands of people to hear hundreds of brands at organized shows such as Axpona in Chicago. For the last two years, the only Maggie showing was as the speaker to demo a DAC (it sounded great both years, but was less than ideal in terms of room size).

It would be great if Magnepan could set up a room or two and show what their various models are capable of. Personally I would love to hear the state of the art demo of the 20.7, or the three way system, or whatever new they have cooking.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #319 on: 15 Dec 2016, 01:09 am »
With the demise of so many local audio stores, it is essential that people get a chance to hear speakers.

With the demise of so many local audio stores, it is essential that people support the last good ones left, particularly any news ones that open up. If you want something to remain or thrive, you need to support it financially.  Otherwise well all need to stop talking about "the demise of the B&M store"........

Magnepan will do in-home demo's shipped direct to you up to 1.7 I believe if your a certain distance away from a B&M dealer - they are still doing that aren't they Steve?