Review: take SACD and BlURay Hirez directly to your DAC!!!!

mrhyfy

Re: Review: take SACD and BlURay Hirez directly to your DAC!!!!
« Reply #120 on: 16 Sep 2010, 11:55 pm »
I didn't have much time but I tested the Monoprice unit.  The power supply from the Monoprice unit worked on the Port-ta unit.  I plugged the Monoprice unit in and the remote from the Port-ta unit worked.  I put in an SACD and the DAC locked on the 88.2kHz signal.  I put in a 192kHz DVD-A and the DAC also locked on the signal.  While I spent less than 3 minutes, I'd have to conclude they are the same unit.

Do you have secondary audio set to off?

I guess  that I didn't explain myself well..it does work but my dac indicates a 48 k signal even though I have set my oppo to output up to 192 k.I'm using a matrix mini dac.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #121 on: 17 Sep 2010, 12:10 am »

I guess  that I didn't explain myself well..it does work but my dac indicates a 48 k signal even though I have set my oppo to output up to 192 k.I'm using a matrix mini dac.

No, your explanation (again) is clear...it is not working for you.  And the HDMi handshake is either signal or no signal.  48K is not the hirez signal we are expecting.  My Atlona does 88k for SACD and up to 192k for DVD-A and Bluray....as does both Phil's Porta and Monoprice. 

Do you have SACD set to PCM?  What does the DAC say.  Do you have LPCM in the Oppo set to 192k?  What does the DAC say for DVD-audio or BluRay?  Sounds like 48k in both instances? 

mrhyfy

« Reply #122 on: 17 Sep 2010, 01:08 am »
I have the oppo set to pcm out for sacd and hdmi. It is set for 192k max output.  If I play a dvd-a via the coax output, I read 96k on my dac.Any blu-ray ,dvd-a or sacd shows as 48k on the dac when using the monoprice hdmi switcher to coax to dac

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #123 on: 17 Sep 2010, 01:41 am »
I have the oppo set to pcm out for sacd and hdmi. It is set for 192k max output.  If I play a dvd-a via the coax output, I read 96k on my dac.Any blu-ray ,dvd-a or sacd shows as 48k on the dac when using the monoprice hdmi switcher to coax to dac

Which Oppo do you have (edit: dumb question.....does SACD and BluRay..must be BDP83)?  Do you have it set for 720P or above?

mrhyfy

« Reply #124 on: 17 Sep 2010, 01:45 am »
oppo bdp-83,,video set for 1080p
thanks

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #125 on: 17 Sep 2010, 01:52 am »
oppo bdp-83,,video set for 1080p
thanks
Weird stuff.  Could it be a faulty (less than HDMI 1.2) hdmi cable?  Something set on Oppo, like HDMI audio off, etc?

mrhyfy

« Reply #126 on: 17 Sep 2010, 01:58 am »
I will try another cable,,,thanks

Phil A

« Reply #127 on: 17 Sep 2010, 02:09 am »
I am looking at my Oppo BDP-83 setting checklist - http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83_Settings_Checklist.pdf

SACD Priority is Stereo
Secondary Audio is Off
HDMI Audio is Auto
SACD Output is PCM
Coaxial/Optical output is LCPM

mrhyfy

« Reply #128 on: 17 Sep 2010, 02:22 am »
Check on all counts,,  my switcher is the HDX 401ta,,,perhaps it's an older version??Mine does NOT have 2.0/5.1 audio led after input "4"
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

Phil A

« Reply #129 on: 17 Sep 2010, 02:43 am »
Check on all counts,,  my switcher is the HDX 401ta,,,perhaps it's an older version??Mine does NOT have 2.0/5.1 audio led after input "4"
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

My box says HDX-401TA and does have the 2.0/5.1 audio LED after input 4.  My friend who played with the Port-ta unit claims (I have not had much time lately) that is sounds better at 5.1 and passes everything through.  The PID is 5557 on the box and it indicates on the box "Supports uncompressed high resolution audio formats such as LCPM* - where the * says must have compatible devices that support these features in order to utilize them.

When I initially contacted Port-ta via E-Mail, they were nice (answered within a couple of days) but I don't think initially they understood my question about passing hi-rez audio and via their response I have a feeling that their E-Mail reading is done via a translating program.  Both boxes register 192kHz audio on my DAC.  I just got my Monoprice unit on Monday.  I placed an order for a bunch of stuff and I figured as long as I was paying shipping anyway for $48+ it was worth it to have a back-up.  The Monoprice manual also notes it supports uncompressed audio (as does the Port-ta manual).

ctle

« Reply #130 on: 17 Sep 2010, 10:10 am »
I can confirm that Oppo BDP-83/Portta can do 88.2k for SACD and 192k for DVD-A and
Blu-ray.
PS3 (old model) /Portta can do 176.4k for SACD and 192k for Blu-ray (displayed on my W4S DAC2)

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #131 on: 17 Sep 2010, 01:33 pm »
Thanks CTLE!!

By the way, there is a plethora of info on the PS3 as SACD player (also plays DD discs) here:
http://www.ps3sacd.com/

And a FAQ to help identify the older PS3 that is the SACD-compatible one
http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc180147567

NordicNorm

Re:Monoprice/Gefen HDMI Detective/Oppo 780H not working?
« Reply #132 on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:04 pm »
OK, what am I missing here?

I have my Oppo 780H connected to the Gefen box, which is in turn connected to the Monoprice box. I've tried both coaxial and TOSLink and get nothing?

The Oppo is set up as:

- HDMI -> LPCM
- LPCM rate -> 192kHz
- output -> RAW

The really weird thing? I can now listen to an SACD via the analog audio outputs!? It's not playing the CD layer, since the Oppo registers it as a SACD in the display window?

Is the Oppo streaming the SACD signal as LPCM through the analog out?

Very puzzling!?

ted_b

• Facilitator
Re:Monoprice/Gefen HDMI Detective/Oppo 780H not working?
« Reply #133 on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:19 pm »
OK, what am I missing here?

I have my Oppo 780H connected to the Gefen box, which is in turn connected to the Monoprice box. I've tried both coaxial and TOSLink and get nothing?

The Oppo is set up as:

- HDMI -> LPCM
- LPCM rate -> 192kHz
- output -> RAW

The really weird thing? I can now listen to an SACD via the analog audio outputs!? It's not playing the CD layer, since the Oppo registers it as a SACD in the display window?

Is the Oppo streaming the SACD signal as LPCM through the analog out?

Very puzzling!?

What is the Oppo 780, I forget, and Oppo doesn't even list it as a discontinued model?  What Geffen box?  If detective, then it needs top go at the end, as if it were a display or other backend.  What coax and toslink outs, the Monoprice or the Oppo?  What analog outs?  If the Oppo, then that's normal.  Please be specific.  I don't think the solution works with three HDMI cables (oppo, geffen, monoprice).  My $.02 without the above answers, is that the Monoprice box needs to be connected to the Oppo, and also connected to a true HDMi backend (display or processor, or EDID capture device). 

NordicNorm

« Reply #134 on: 30 Sep 2010, 10:14 pm »
Oppo 980H, sorry!

And yes, I'm using the Gefen HDMI Detective Plus. Isn't the Gefen a "true" EDID capture device?

So, if I'm reading you correctly, you're sayng that the correct order is:

Oppo -> Monoprice HDMI audio de-embedder -> Gefen HDMI Detective (where "->" is an HDMI cable)?

Does the monoprice connect to the HDMI "in" port on the Gefen box!?

I'm assuming that the Oppo connects to the input on Monoprice and the Gefen is connected to the output of the monprice?

The coax and toslink are connected between the monprice box and my DAC.

cheers,
Norm

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #135 on: 30 Sep 2010, 10:17 pm »
Ah, that sounds better.  Yes, the Geffen should act as an EDID device (meaning back end of the chain).  It may need to actually hook to a real display or processor device to "learn" the EDID...dunno..check with Geffen instructions.  Also, I would connect one (coax or toslink) not both.

NordicNorm

« Reply #136 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:56 pm »
OK, I figured it out!

I had the Gefen box hooked up backwards!?

It's now working like a charm!

Thanks for your help Ted!

cheers,
Norm

Brisso57

« Reply #137 on: 21 Nov 2010, 11:44 am »
So ... just to clarify ... by purchasing the Atlona "thingy" ... I could do the same tricks with a Sony BDP-S370 as with the Oppo unit(s) discussed in this thread?

Thanks

Doug

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #138 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:14 pm »
So ... just to clarify ... by purchasing the Atlona "thingy" ... I could do the same tricks with a Sony BDP-S370 as with the Oppo unit(s) discussed in this thread?

Thanks

Doug

Not exactly.  The Sony does not support DVD-Audio.  But SACD and Blu-Ray, yes.

Brisso57

« Reply #139 on: 21 Nov 2010, 07:51 pm »
Not exactly.  The Sony does not support DVD-Audio.  But SACD and Blu-Ray, yes.

SACD's are what I have, so it sounds like the combo will do the trick. Excellent!

cheers

Doug