Search for an Integrated Amplifier

denjo

Re: Search for an Integrated Amplifier
« Reply #260 on: 27 Dec 2009, 10:55 am »
The Accuphase E450 simply loves sitting on top of the recently acquired Symposium Svelte Platforms! In my previous posts, I had wished for a little more bass slam and the Svelte seems to have "extracted" that 'missing' LF.

I have managed to acquire a LFD DAC3 (only 100 made) which uses the Ultra Analog 20-bit 2040 chip and initial listening shows that it is far superior to the Accuphase built-in DAC. I am told Wadia acquired UA. The LFD DAC3 has excellent midrange and bass and sounds silky smooth, no trace of digital glare.

Very pleased with my system ..... :)

denjo

« Reply #261 on: 29 Dec 2009, 12:43 pm »
Accuphase has just released the E-560 Integrated (Class A) to replace the E-550. In addition to the dual analog meters, there is a digital display to show the volume level. They have combined Analog-digital meters which looks aesthestically pleasing! I am sure it sounds as good as it looks!

Check this out:
www.accuphase.com

denjo

« Reply #262 on: 5 Jan 2010, 09:02 am »
You must have read or heard of the synergy between Acrolink and Accuphase. I managed a good deal on a mint, secondhand Acrolink 7100 power cord (7N copper purity) and connected it to the Accuphase E-450. My previous cable was the Black Sand Statement One. The Acrolink 7100 brought excellent texture, resolution and layering to the music! The volume had to be cranked up to get the same SPL but the background is very quiet. Highly recommended!

denjo

« Reply #263 on: 13 Jan 2010, 01:13 am »
Added Acrolink 7N-2070 interconnects and Acrolink digital D-5050 Mk II. These are incredible cables, the best I have ever had the experience of listening to. The build quality is excellent! The Accuphase is a reference quality integrated and will require very good cables to unleash it's true potential!Consequently, I have decided as far as possible to go all-Acrolink for my cabling. My speaker cables are still Auditorium 23s (very happy with them) and it will be quite sometime before I can save enough to afford Acrolink SC. The prices are just insanely HIGH!

gerald porzio

« Reply #264 on: 13 Jan 2010, 01:42 am »
"The prices are just insanely HIGH!"

As are most cable  mfgs' markups.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #265 on: 13 Jan 2010, 02:35 am »
check out something more reasonably priced - like alpha-core tq2-ag, or micro-purl-ag.  i wait for them to show up used, when i need to add cabling.  extremely neutral, and tho not cheap, not ridiculously expensive, especially when purchased used.  you may find yourself pocketing a fair chunk of change selling your acrolinks.   8)  while i am not in the "all cables sound alike" school, i am in the school of thinking that there is no added benefit to insanely high priced cabling.

ymmv,

doug s.

denjo

« Reply #266 on: 12 May 2010, 11:45 am »
This must be the longest time I have stayed with an amplifier! The Accuphase E-450 continues to provide a very enjoyable musical experience. The Acrolink power cable synergises very well with the Accuphase. I did not buy the Acrolink interconnects after all; they were very difficult to fit into the inputs and weighed a ton!

This journey to find an integrated amplifier has been an incredible journey for me! I have learnt so much about the Accuphase philosophy, system matching and the use of suitable power cords and interconnects. It just brings a smile to my face after a hard day's work when I sit in front of the Accuphase!

pardales

« Reply #267 on: 12 May 2010, 12:38 pm »
This must be the longest time I have stayed with an amplifier! The Accuphase E-450 continues to provide a very enjoyable musical experience. The Acrolink power cable synergises very well with the Accuphase. I did not buy the Acrolink interconnects after all; they were very difficult to fit into the inputs and weighed a ton!

This journey to find an integrated amplifier has been an incredible journey for me! I have learnt so much about the Accuphase philosophy, system matching and the use of suitable power cords and interconnects. It just brings a smile to my face after a hard day's work when I sit in front of the Accuphase!

That's great! I like when I find something that stays in the system for a while.

denjo

« Reply #268 on: 12 May 2010, 11:41 pm »
Thanks Pardales! Hope you have found your musical bliss too!
« Last Edit: 18 May 2010, 11:40 am by denjo »

chiyoji

« Reply #269 on: 13 Sep 2010, 03:41 am »
Thanks to you. I've just purchased Accuphase E408 blindly! (new old stock, the dealer doesn't carry E450). And happy to report it matches perfectly with the rest of my 2nd system :) (Playon HD, Cary DAC Xciter, Spendor S8E).

I'm curious about Accuphase direct competitor. Luxman 509U.
Have you A/B ing them directly? Here's the review link.
http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/luxman_l509u.htm

Thanks again and happy listening!
Jack
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2010, 08:22 am by chiyoji »

denjo

« Reply #270 on: 13 Sep 2010, 10:47 am »
Hi Jack
Congrats on your Accuphase E408 purchase! It is a wonderful amplifier that is built to last!
I have not heard any of the Luxman but a friend of mine (a dealer) has experience with both the Accuphase & the Luxman; he says the Accuphase sounds more refined than the Luxman though the latter sounds very dynamic. Perhaps others with direct A/B expereince between these two amplifiers can chime in.

Best Regards
Dennis

chiyoji

« Reply #271 on: 14 Sep 2010, 12:38 am »
I think your friend got it right!
"Luxman has a more lively, dynamic, upbeat sound
Accuphase is more of the refine, smooth,wide, deep soundstage type of sound."

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1284069158
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1270274250

Btw I've tried Bat VK300X SE and ATC SIA2-150 mk2.
Bat's high is rather clinical for me, bass just doesn't suit Spendor, for another speaker maybe. And I just don't like an amp thumping everytime it's turned off :).. ATC has wide soundstage and very strong vocal presence (maybe a bit wider than Accuphase), less refined bass and high when matched with Spendor S8E though. I can't quite describe it, but some instruments just doesn't sound right with ATC. Especially piano and bass. I guess ATC and S8E is not a match made in heaven :).

denjo

« Reply #272 on: 18 Sep 2010, 03:33 am »
Jack
There is a gentleman over at Audioasylum (George Mann aka Mr Accuphase) who is regarded as somewhat of an expert in that forum. He has posted quite a bit about Accuphase gear (see http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m2.html?forum=amp&n=108409&highlight=jmlab).

Accuphase gear is very stable and in the time I had my E-450, it is one of the few amplifiers that I have owned that has given me zero issues with hiss, pops or any such untoward behaviour. It shows how solidly built Accuphase products are and gives great confidence that it can last for a very long time (upwards of 10 years and more). The other thing you will find about Accuphase gear is the need to ensure that your source is of equal calibre! Better still, if your digital playback is also Accuphase I can vouch for excellent synergy.

Enjoy your Accuphase!

chiyoji

« Reply #273 on: 22 Sep 2010, 03:49 am »
Thank you Dennis.
Here's another info for our Accuphase, this one on Audiogon.
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1258909683&openfrom&1&4#1

An enjoyable quote about your amp :)
"I witnessed a very impressive display of E-450's power. Driving a pair of Martin Logan Summit X and playing some opera, the E-450 has literally shaken a three floor building, i.e the entire store. Unfortunately, I could not see the indication of the power meters as I have left the room before the peak of the crescendo occurred (I was actually on a different floor one level below). Even if the dam think has clipped, who would care? The sound was unbelievable loud. Nobody (sane or insane) will play music at those level at home."

Btw are you a professional recording artist? And are you staying for good in Sgp?

denjo

« Reply #274 on: 1 Oct 2010, 10:02 pm »
Chiyoji
I am a Singaporean and will most likely stay in Singapore for good! No, I am not a recording artist! How did you come to this conclusion?
I am now auditioning the Accuphase E560 in my home. Having lived with the E450 for almost 1.5 years, I must say that the Class A E560 is in a different league altogether and sounds more fluid, powerful and refined than its SS sibling. Surprisingly, the 30 watts sounds more powerful than the E450's 180 watts!

More updates to follow as the E560 breaks in!

chiyoji

« Reply #275 on: 3 Oct 2010, 03:11 pm »
I forgot how harhar (say do you have FB account? If you don't mind please PM your email!).

After reading George Mann's answers here and there. I'm interested in trying Accuphase separate! In the process of locating a power and pre. Will definitely share my findings too...

(Have you tried Mann's suggestion about biamping. Class A for high, Class A/B stereo or monoblock for low. And then adding Accuphase's power regenerator too). Btw if I remember correctly. George mentioned that E450's power is roughtly the same with P4100 (2x60watt).

denjo

Accuphase E560
« Reply #276 on: 11 Nov 2010, 09:21 am »
I should be just past the 100 hour mark! The Accuphase E560 sounds very musical, with a touch of SET magic and the bass is more prominent than the SS E450. I have experimented with power cables and found that the Accuphase stock power cord sounds best, displacing even the uber expensive Acrolink 7N power cord! This hobby is crazy!  :duh:

Moral: the most expensive accessory does not necessarily sound the best! System synergy is paramount.

Ps, I have ordered a EE Minimax DAC and will report back on how it sounds with the Accuphase. I would have bought the Accuphase DP-500 (which has a separate DAC) but the cost is crazily prohibitive! I hope the EE Minimax will work out well, given the very good reviews from happy owners. But, at the end of the day, it would depend again on synergy with one's system!

denjo

« Reply #277 on: 14 Oct 2011, 12:22 am »
My Accuphase E-560 is one year old! I have been 3 years with Accuphase, starting with the E-450 before moving on to the flagship integrated, the E-560. The E-560 is analog sounding and fatigue-free!