Hard Disk Bad Msg

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Hard Disk Bad Msg
« on: 8 Oct 2016, 08:55 pm »
About get this msg from the W10 today:
Hard Disk Not Found
PC halted and came to life after reboot.

System log show it:
Volume Shadow Copy Service warning: VSS was denied access to the root of volume \\?\Volume{dad23e3e-a5e9-11e1-b525-0016b5daadb4}\. Denying administrators from accessing volume roots can cause many unexpected failures, and will prevent VSS from functioning properly.  Check security on the volume, and try the operation again.
Operation:
   Removing auto-release shadow copies
   Loading provider
Context:
   Execution Context: System Provider

Any idea what is happen?
First time it happen.
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2016, 01:42 pm by FullRangeMan »

Phil A

Re: Bad Msg
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2016, 12:04 am »
Don't know if this helps - http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/58573-windows-10-anniversary-update-problems-not-recognizing-external-hdd-2.html

Have a brand new Windows 10 PC (just a couple of weeks and have not checked what is running) and I have not updated either of the two (Windows 10) music servers to the anniversary editions

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2016, 12:13 am »
Thanks Phil, forget to mention this HD is the sole one in this PC.

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2016, 12:31 am »
Any idea what is happen?
First time it happen.
Thanks in advance

Essential the buit-in backup system was unable to access the hard drive.
Most likely that error was thrown because the hard drive became inaccessible, and not the other way a round
(the HD did not become inaccessible beacues of VSS).

There could have been multiple things that have caused it.
Unless the problem repeats it will be difficult to narrow down.

Make sure you have all important files backed up.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2016, 01:05 pm »
I always back-up important files.  For my music files (about 5 TB).  I have the NAS (with two 8TB drives, 7 of which is usable) configured in RAID 1.  I have two Windows 10 music servers with local hard drives attached (and recently had one I had to reformat as it became corrupted).  I also keep one other back-up copy on normal (vs. more expensive) hard drives. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2016, 03:41 pm »
Essential the buit-in backup system was unable to access the hard drive.
Most likely that error was thrown because the hard drive became inaccessible, and not the other way a round
(the HD did not become inaccessible beacues of VSS).

There could have been multiple things that have caused it.
Unless the problem repeats it will be difficult to narrow down.

Make sure you have all important files backed up.
Thanks JRace, I have made a new DVD backup yesterday, I have not set on the backup service in this PC.
If I understand right the HD was busy being used by other pgm?
I also received this msg two times in the last weeks:

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2016, 04:52 pm »
If the computer crashed because the hard drive was not accessable that would not be due to a program using the HD.
Possible there was an issue that caused the hard drive to become inaccessable cas=using windows to crash.

Could be many things.

The error you show in the last post is related to Roxio cd burning program.

PHIL -> are you also have an issue (unclear from your post) but glad to hear you have a back-up process.
Just remember that RAID is not a backup, while you are protected more than a non-raid system you could still lose data.
It looks like you are taking it a step beyond just the raid.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2016, 05:11 pm »
Download the free PassMark DiskCheckup software.

Check the SMART Info, paying particular attention to C4 (Reallocation Event Count), C5 (Current Pending Sector Count ) and C6 (Uncorrectable Sector Count).  These should typically be 0.

Then run the Extended Disk Self Test.

If the disk passes the test you'll know at least that it's more likely a software problem and not a physical disk problem.

I did have some VSS errors that in my case were directly attributable to a prematurely failing disk.

Steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2016, 12:29 pm »
Download the free PassMark DiskCheckup software.

Check the SMART Info, paying particular attention to C4 (Reallocation Event Count), C5 (Current Pending Sector Count ) and C6 (Uncorrectable Sector Count).  These should typically be 0.

Then run the Extended Disk Self Test.

If the disk passes the test you'll know at least that it's more likely a software problem and not a physical disk problem.

I did have some VSS errors that in my case were directly attributable to a prematurely failing disk.

Steve
Thanks for the link, very useful utility, current version are a bit different now:
Reallocated Sector Count=Raw Value: 0
Current Pending Sector Count=Raw Value: 0
Uncorrectable Sector Count=Raw Value: 0
Reported Uncorrectable Errors=Raw Value=1996
Power Cycle Count=Raw Value: 2533
UltraDMA Cyclic Redundancy Check Error Count=Raw Value: 0
High Fly Writes Error=Raw Value=24
Command Timeout= Raw Value: 21(Aborted operations due HDD timeout. If this value is far above zero, most likely there will be some serious prob w/power supply or oxidized data cable)

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2016, 12:42 pm »
System age 4years(April 2012)