Serious Warning for Linux users

Folsom

Serious Warning for Linux users
« on: 14 Jul 2016, 10:04 pm »
You can easily delete your whole documents, downloads, photos, music, and videos all at once... It will let you do that. And the recovery options may not work. I'm going back to windows as soon as I figure out how to spoof M$'s website into allowing me to download an ISO to use with my factory key. (The website says to call Lenovo but that won't work)

I'm just saying, it will let you do it, and they're gone before you know it.

WGH

Re: Serious Warning for Linux users
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2016, 01:42 am »
What ISO are you looking for? You can easily download and install the Windows 10 Upgrade but you can't register it even with your factory key and you will still need the Lenovo drivers.

Is your computer a laptop? What you really want to do is a Factory Reset:

Factory Reset a Lenovo Windows 8 Laptop
http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-2330507/factory-reset-lenovo-windows-laptop.html

Folsom

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:30 am »
win7 pro x64

There's nothing on my harddrive that can be used like that. Lenovo would have to send me disks.

It's such a pain that M$ refuses to allow ISO downloads if your computer came with a preload. Talk about dirty scumbag maneuver...

I guess it's complicated because the ISO I need has to be OEM, too.  :roll:

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:47 am »
I'm getting real close to paying $140 for something I already own.

Originally I was going to dual boot, but then after wiping my HD I found out that M$ wouldn't allow me to download the OS. I've been stuck on Linux since. It's ok but I need windows for somethings. Plus I don't want to go through another catastrophe with Linux where I delete stuff I shouldn't because it allows it very easily. (this happened with a flick of the mouse, just barely being off enough that the selection window bounced back or something)

Lenovo's serial number entering doesn't work, or it doesn't understand my serial number. That means I can't do anything with requesting disks from them.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2016, 04:22 am by Folsom »

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2016, 03:30 am »
Microsoft has nothing to do with it, Lenovo bought the rights to redistribute and modify Windows 7, your beef should be with them.
Then again, if you want to take something you own, destroy it and expect a free replacement, forever into eternity...

There are a bunch of free backup programs available so I still can't believe people don't take the time and do complete OS updates (Win 7 to 10) or Win 7 to Linux without imaging the hard drive first and then blame someone else when it fails.

There is always the old school way to fix things:
LENOVO CUSTOMER SERVICE
talk to a live person.
1-855-253-6686, option 2
Monday-Friday 9am-9pm (EST)
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/landingpage/contact/?menu-id=order_supportexisting_order_helpcheck_order_statusonline_or_talk_with_an_agent_

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2016, 04:21 am »
My hard drive had a corrupt sector on it preventing windows from being seen. A full wipe was the only way. I did this knowing M$ offers a download. It doesn't specify nearly no one can use it on the page in any obvious way. There's no reason to believe it wouldn't work. Furthermore until sometime last year, it did work.

I didn't destroy anything. My product key is intact and fine. My licensing is fine. M$ views it as licensed or not, entirely indifferent to installed or not. No one owns the software of windows itself; just the right of use. You own a disc (if your computer came with one, these days they don't) and the license.

BTW I backed up everything important on my HD. I didn't format and lose stuff and get upset. But due to asshattery among M$ and Lenovo my only option that I can see is perhaps calling them or buying new. My laptop isn't under warranty, btw, so I'm not expecting much from Lenovo. Point being I own the right to use something I can't get a hold of right now and that's a violation of my licensing that doesn't expire while it's in my possession. I'm not seeking support, just the use of what I own. The least that makes any sense is that someone would be able to get a copy of the software for the license they own, for a device that has a pre-install since there are no recovery discs without paying a bunch of money or the need for silly stuff like shipping. M$ offers this only to the people who've received physical discs? That's a bit backwards.

jpm

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2016, 04:35 am »
Given the situation you describe, it doesn't sound as if you have anything to lose by installing oem Windows and tracking down the drivers. That way if you hit a snag with license verification you can talk to a human being at Microsoft.  I do understand how challenging Lenovo make it to find drivers, but it's not impossible - just unnecessarily difficult!

Good luck! I

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2016, 04:39 am »
I have no drivers needed. The issue is I can't get my hands on a copy of the software to use my license with (well except for $140, and at that point I have a new license anyways).

Drivers from Lenovo are easy to download if you know the exact model of your laptop. But they aren't necessary at all in general, Windows seems to automatically know them all except if you have an Nvidia or ATI graphics chip then you need to get the drivers from their website.

jpm

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2016, 04:41 am »
... and don't forget the option to install Windows 10. While the free upgrade is still available you should be able to use your Windows 7 key and it's highly likely that almost all of the drivers are right there in the OS already.

jpm

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2016, 04:45 am »
I have no drivers needed. The issue is I can't get my hands on a copy of the software to use my license with (well except for $140, and at that point I have a new license anyways).

Drivers from Lenovo are easy to download if you know the exact model of your laptop. But they aren't necessary at all in general, Windows seems to automatically know them all except if you have an Nvidia or ATI graphics chip then you need to get the drivers from their website.

You shouldn't have any trouble finding a Windows 7 iso to download from Usenet or a torrent site- just use a vpn. For Windows 10, you can download the iso or make a bootable thumb drive direct from MS.

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2016, 05:55 am »
My hard drive had a corrupt sector on it preventing windows from being seen. A full wipe was the only way.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, it is easy to jump to conclusions with incomplete information.

The hidden restore partition may still be intact but installing Linux changed the MBR so holding F11 or F8 during boot probably doesn't work.

Try this:
Rescue and Recovery® 4.52 by Lenovo
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd014460

Some features of the Rescue and Recovery program might vary, depending on the different version you have installed; however, its major features include the following:

- Create backup files to perform full and incremental hard disk drive recovery operations.
 Backup files can be stored on your hard disk drive, on recordable CD or DVD media, on a network drive, or on a USB device.
- Restore individual files from a backup file.
- Restore the hard disk drive to the factory default settings. This operation can be applied to certain NetVista(R), ThinkCentre, and ThinkPad computers.
- Access the Internet to check e-mails and download files.
- Create a migration file to migrate your settings and data to a new computer.
- Protect the Rescue and Recovery workspace with a password or passphrase.
- Configure your computer to start from an alternate device, such as the backup
 CDs created by the Rescue and Recovery program.
- Optimize your backup storage space.

The Rescue and Recovery workspace is an operating environment specifically designed for performing rescue and recovery operations that are independent of the Windows operating system.

In the event of a complete hard disk drive failure, you can access the Rescue
and Recovery workspace by booting from the rescue media,
such as a Rescue and Recovery CD or an external USB hard disk drive.
You can create rescue media in the advanced interface of the Rescue and Recovery program.

There is a free utility, “Wine” that gives you Windows environment in your Linux operating system. Installing the Wine software in your Linux computer you can install and run your favorite Windows applications. To begin you have to install the Wine software in your Linux. After that you can install any EXE file (like Rescue and Recovery® 4.52).
https://www.oxhow.com/install-run-exe-file-in-linux/

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2016, 06:32 am »
Thanks, I'll see if I can get that to work.

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2016, 08:14 am »
Sadly it won't install... (The rescue program)

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2016, 02:43 pm »
I suppose you could run GParted to find out if there actually is a hidden partition.
http://gparted.org/

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2016, 04:06 pm »
First off, i am sorry for your troubles,  and can't imagine the feelings of frustration and helplessness.

Back to the original issue of accidentally deleting the files in linux.  I know its too late for you, but for others, can't you change the rwx (read/write/execute) permissions with a simple chmod command?  I'm no expert but i think that should work, just remove the w permission for the user (user/group/other).  You shoukdd be able to change all of the files at once with one command.

Folsom

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jul 2016, 06:38 pm »
You're correct I can make it so Sudo/admin has to be deployed to delete certain files. But why wouldn't "documents" and such already have that turned on? I mean, wow :duh:

Doublej

« Reply #16 on: 15 Jul 2016, 06:57 pm »
You're correct I can make it so Sudo/admin has to be deployed to delete certain files. But why wouldn't "documents" and such already have that turned on? I mean, wow :duh:

It does when you layer an Apple GUI on top of it.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #17 on: 15 Jul 2016, 07:04 pm »
That's why we have always been told to "keep things backed up".
It's like crying over spilled milk, now, but if you had back ups nearly everything would be just fine.  :peek:

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jul 2016, 07:21 pm »

Why would you want it turned on by default?  That would prevent you from saving changes to your spreadsheets, powerpoint, word, drawings, photo editing, etc... probably would also prevent autosave in documents.

You could implement a rudimentary version control - save new version with a v1.x, then remove write permissions on the old one.   Ive never tried that however.

Folsom

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jul 2016, 08:46 pm »
Well then it's just silly, windows won't let you do it.

I have most of my stuff backed up, but that doesn't mean everything. Luckily I had one thing I was working on open so I was able to save it! And again, this thread is just a warning (and a tangent about trying to get back on windows without forking over $ on principle).