OPPO 103 DLNA

wushuliu

OPPO 103 DLNA
« on: 5 Aug 2016, 02:41 pm »
Random question: My blu ray player just stopped working and I was taking a look at the oppos when I saw that it takes Ethernet from the PC. I assume it can output from there then to spdif? I can’t seem to find posts by anyone who has done that. Seems most people stream ethernet or usb to the oppo internal dac…
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2016, 08:35 pm by wushuliu »

Phil A

Re: OPPO 105 DLNA
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2016, 03:14 pm »
I have a couple of 103Ds.  One is just used for video but I do have an ethernet connection to each and have used one to both play music from a hard drive and also play files from my NAS.  I'm using the analog outs since I have a bunch of DSD files and I doubt it will pass those via coax.  It also probably won't pass anything over 48kHz via coax (vs. the older Oppo players which did).  When I have played a Blu-Ray with a 96kHz audio track, it only will pass 48kHz via the coax digital.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2016, 03:15 pm »
This also explain what I just said (probably better with more detail) - http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2013/01/audiophile-review-oppo-bdp-105.html

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2016, 03:29 pm »
This also explain what I just said (probably better with more detail) - http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/2013/01/audiophile-review-oppo-bdp-105.html

Thanks. I noticed this tidbit:

If you want to use a separate DAC, receiver, preamp, etc., this player can deliver the full-res goodies. Other than the SPDIF limiting of DVD-A to 16/48 (and it does not sound good compared to full res), you don’t have to worry about this machine clamping down on 24-bit output.

Wonder why there isn't more feedback on this functionality?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2016, 11:13 pm »
John Gatski (of Everything Audio Network) has been providing information on the functionality of Oppo players (and even used with HDMI audio de-embedders) for some time. When I lived in the DC area, I dragged an Intergra player to his place. I knew via the HDMI audio de-embedded I was getting 176.4kHz but was able to confirm it was truncating to 16 bits.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2016, 11:56 pm »

wushuliu

Re: OPPO 103 DLNA
« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2016, 09:02 pm »
Just want to report that I have been using an Oppo 103 as a transport from PC/ethernet to external DAC via coax out and it sounds outstanding. Why, I don't know. For anyone following my other threads recently, I would rank the sound quality much higher than the F-1/XU208 usb to spdif converters. No, it is not as good as the RedNet I've discussed in this circle - the RedNet is just a whole other league altogether - *but* the Oppo is just as satisfying. Again, this is using the ethernet connection. I've tested the usb on the Oppo and it sounds like, well, usb.

However, I don't believe this performance necessarily applies to all Oppo models. I also ordered a 103D, to try out the Darbee and was disappointed to find the playback quality was not as good. It sounded more like what one would expect from a media player, a little bright and 2-dimensional; good, but not great. I played with all the settings, but the result was the same. Oppo got something right with the regular 103. Coincidentally there is a diyaudio member who just started selling custom linear supplies and clock for the Oppos with impressive specs (no, not like Modwright which is focused on analog playback), so I'll be do that next.

Just want to put this out there, because I couldn't find any real feedback online from anyone using this route for playback. I think the 103 may be a hidden gem in this regard.

Downside is you can not use UPnp/DLNA for the ethernet connection, so you have to use the Oppo interface to access files not your PC.

« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2016, 01:25 am by wushuliu »

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 15 Aug 2016, 02:03 pm »
Interesting!

Downside is you can not use UPnp/DLNA for the ethernet connection

Um, why not? I use it, just tried and it passed 192k out the coax (didn't listen to it but the signal was there)

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 15 Aug 2016, 02:36 pm »
Interesting!

Um, why not? I use it, just tried and it passed 192k out the coax (didn't listen to it but the signal was there)

I meant for external control like JRMC, Foobar, etc. I thought I read this was not doable through ethernet.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2016, 03:52 pm »
I don't use either of those but it works fine for me so I would think it would work... drats, don't have JRiver on this machine to try. My setup looks like this (articles):

Selecting the BDP-103 as the renderer instead of the RPi works fine, only thing it doesn't do (AFAICT) is gapless playback. I'm usually using Lumin app as the controller, until now I've just played out through HDMI (since the HT is near the fireplace and it's winter ;) ), but you've inspired me to try the SPDIF out.

wushuliu

« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2016, 11:25 pm »