Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release

BigGeek

Re: Manic Moose (S2) - BDP's third major firmware release
« Reply #1920 on: 26 Sep 2016, 11:01 pm »
That revision only exists on the BDP-Pi

Uh ... that's not correct because I have a bdp-1 that has the 9-20 build on it and it seems to be stuck on that build too. When i try to check for beta updates, it uncharacteristically IMMEDIATELY returns with the 9-20 build  as being available. Usually it takes lomger to check for a new build. I repeat that my bdp-1 is already running the 9-20 build.

Richard

Marius

« Reply #1921 on: 27 Sep 2016, 11:22 am »
HI Chris,

http://support.bryston.com/site/?firmware still unavailable? Site won't react at all..

Cheers,
Marius

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1922 on: 27 Sep 2016, 12:39 pm »
Uh ... that's not correct because I have a bdp-1 that has the 9-20 build on it and it seems to be stuck on that build too. When i try to check for beta updates, it uncharacteristically IMMEDIATELY returns with the 9-20 build  as being available. Usually it takes lomger to check for a new build. I repeat that my bdp-1 is already running the 9-20 build.

Richard

The x86 build of manic moose (used by BDP-1's, 1USB's and 2's) the current testing release is S2.29 2016 09 20 not S2.27 2016 09 20 (formerly the latest arm build and defective), so no the same firmware does not exist for both. S2.29 2016 09 20 is still the latest testing release of the x86 platform.  When Dropbox disabled our public links (due to abnormal bandwidth usage) we moved those files (including the firmware) to a new service provider (ovh VPS) and yes one of the side effects is a much quicker load time.  The S2.29 2016 09 20 firmware appears to be working just fine, I just downgraded a BDP-2 to the latest stable release without incident.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1923 on: 27 Sep 2016, 12:40 pm »
HI Chris,

http://support.bryston.com/site/?firmware still unavailable? Site won't react at all..

Cheers,
Marius

I'll look into it

BigGeek

« Reply #1924 on: 27 Sep 2016, 10:54 pm »
The x86 build of manic moose (used by BDP-1's, 1USB's and 2's) the current testing release is S2.29 2016 09 20 not S2.27 2016 09 20 (formerly the latest arm build and defective), so no the same firmware does not exist for both. S2.29 2016 09 20 is still the latest testing release of the x86 platform.  When Dropbox disabled our public links (due to abnormal bandwidth usage) we moved those files (including the firmware) to a new service provider (ovh VPS) and yes one of the side effects is a much quicker load time.  The S2.29 2016 09 20 firmware appears to be working just fine, I just downgraded a BDP-2 to the latest stable release without incident.

Cheers,
Chris

Apologies somehow I completely missed that you were talking about two differnt builds from the same day. You are correct.
Wow it is really going to be that fast to check for new beta builds? It is instantaneous on my machine!

Richard

Krutsch

« Reply #1925 on: 28 Sep 2016, 03:49 am »

Wow it is really going to be that fast to check for new beta builds? It is instantaneous on my machine!

Thought the same thing... as in, there must be something wrong  :D

Marius

« Reply #1926 on: 28 Sep 2016, 09:52 am »
I'll look into it

Any luck? still dead here...

XMAN

« Reply #1927 on: 29 Sep 2016, 03:44 am »
Is "tv mode" a work in progress ?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1928 on: 29 Sep 2016, 02:30 pm »
Is "tv mode" a work in progress ?

it's been replaced, the next stable release will have it replaced with a new feature

Krutsch

« Reply #1929 on: 2 Oct 2016, 08:59 pm »
UPDATE: I've noticed that adding new music and updating normally recreates a lot of missing album art. If I SSH into the device and manually remove all of the converted thumbnails, then reset the Bryston DB and let it rebuild... I then see all of the artwork (except for the issue noted above).

OK, I've separated my multi-disc albums into separate folders, so:

Album
  01-01
  01-02

Album [Disc 2]
  02-01
  02-02

And my album art issue seems to be resolved; I have cover art in all of the multi-disc albums with Manic Moose.

However, the problem quoted above is still there: I need to manually wipe all of the bdp_front_*.jpg, et al. files and then Update/rebuild to get 100% album art. If I just add some new music to my collection, restart and click Update, it updates, etc., but I am missing a LOT of artist thumbnails in Artist View. In other words, the bdp_front_44 files; the larger bdp_front_250 files still work and they are all present when you click on a particular artist.

Finally, when I check manually (i.e. SSH), both sets of thumbnail images are present on the filesystem.

For what it's worth, I've even cleared my browser cache, but nothing works except to wipe the thumbnail images and rebuild.

S2.29 2016-09-20
Build: Manic Moose
MPD: 0.19.12 NEWS
Kernel: 3.16-0.bpo.2-486

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1930 on: 2 Oct 2016, 11:10 pm »
So the file format is

\album\01-01 Song title
\album\01-02 Song title
\album\02-01 Song title
\album\02-02 Song title

etc
?

Krutsch

« Reply #1931 on: 3 Oct 2016, 01:26 pm »
So the file format is

\album\01-01 Song title
\album\01-02 Song title
\album\02-01 Song title
\album\02-02 Song title

etc
?

No, it's as posted:

Album
  01-01
  01-02

Album [Disc 2]
  02-01
  02-02

With disc 2 in a separate folder named: "Album [Disc 2]". With every other media player I use, I can put them in the same folder, but Manic Moose seems to need them in separate folders; otherwise, no album art in Artist View with the second disc.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1932 on: 3 Oct 2016, 11:06 pm »
Ok, thanks. Sorry, without the back slashes, I wasn't entirely sure if c/r's and indenting were for readability or to define file structure.

Spyman

« Reply #1933 on: 4 Oct 2016, 08:59 pm »
Hi, Chris. I hope you can clear something up for me. I have a BDP-1 and I got a message in the dashboard saying new firmware is available. I hit the update button and it says the version to download is S2.28 2016-06-28. But that's the version that's already running! Is this some kind of mistake? What should I do?

Terry

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1934 on: 4 Oct 2016, 10:45 pm »
Hi, Chris. I hope you can clear something up for me. I have a BDP-1 and I got a message in the dashboard saying new firmware is available. I hit the update button and it says the version to download is S2.28 2016-06-28. But that's the version that's already running! Is this some kind of mistake? What should I do?

Terry

We had an interruption in one of our services a little while ago and it seems to have screwed somethings up still.  The essential services like doing firmware updates have been restored however We have some things to work out with the BDP-Pi firmware before revisting issues with the firmware availability and offline messages.

Cheers
Chris

Spyman

« Reply #1935 on: 5 Oct 2016, 02:45 pm »
Thank you for the explanation. At least now I know it's not my BPD that's acting up.

Holger BDP2

« Reply #1936 on: 8 Oct 2016, 10:46 am »
Hello everybody,
I´m a new member, my name is Holger and i live in Germany. I bought a used Bryston BDP-2 from a Danish guy and i have to say, that it sounds absolutely amazing!!!
I stream from a Synology NAS into a Devialet 200. The BDP was running software version 2.26 when I bought it and everything worked fine. Yesterday I updated to 2.30 (is this already an official release? my dashboard never shows "update available", I updated from "Settings" - "Update-firmware"). Everythings works again except one minor problem.
Some of the small thumbnails disappeared in the artist view (e.g. Angus & Julia Stone or Bonnie "Prince" Billy). I figured out that this happens if the artists name contains one of these special signs: & " `

The same happens, if the name of the artist´s first album in the row contains on of these signs (e.g. Cassandra Wilson):

Is there a solution for this problem (beside retagging) or can this be solved with the next update?
Thanks to everybody for helping!!!
Greetings from Germany
Holger

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1937 on: 8 Oct 2016, 11:13 am »
Hi Holger - Welcome :thumb:

Thank you for your kind comments. 

Chris will answer your question regarding the tagging but I want to comment on your statement regarding the sound of the BDP-2.   I probably get an email a week from customers that have used some other digital player and are surprised at how great the BDP-2 sounds.  Its difficult to get this across because many people think 'bits and bits'.

james

Holger BDP2

« Reply #1938 on: 8 Oct 2016, 12:21 pm »
Hi James,
thanks for your reply!
I was surprised, how much the BDP-2 is a "PC" when i first got in touch with it, but this fact also offers more possibilities. Once installed the sound is outstanding, compared to others streaming units i have owned. Unfortunately there is no distributor in Germany (he is located in Austria), only few shops offer Bryston and there are only few reviews of Bryston products in german hifi magazines. It is difficult in Germany to listen to Bryston streamers and compare them with other brands, otherwise people would be easily convinced that "bits are not bits". This post is a little bit off topic, sorry!
Holger

Krutsch

« Reply #1939 on: 15 Oct 2016, 07:41 pm »

Everythings works again except one minor problem.
Some of the small thumbnails disappeared in the artist view (e.g. Angus & Julia Stone or Bonnie "Prince" Billy). I figured out that this happens if the artists name contains one of these special signs: & " `

The same happens, if the name of the artist´s first album in the row contains on of these signs (e.g. Cassandra Wilson):

Is there a solution for this problem (beside retagging) or can this be solved with the next update?

I am having a similar issue, where I am missing a large number of the smaller Artists thumbnail images. Very frustrating, as this was all working prior to the last batch of BETA and latest official release.

From what I can observe, all of the larger album images are present; it's just the smaller ones that are missing. I don't see any correlation between special characters and missing album art, unlike what Holger is observing with his collection. I have also noticed that completely removing all generated thumbnail images and re-building makes no difference, unlike what I saw with an earlier BETA release.