New Khartago something or other in the works for me!

Arcticdeth

Re: New Khartago something or other in the works for me!
« Reply #40 on: 23 Feb 2014, 03:09 pm »
This is going way off topic from my thread, but...

The CW D9's are 8 ohms and rated 101 dB @ 1 watt. My old Conrwall's were "only" rated at 98 dB @ 1 watt and they could easily blow you out of the house with 8 watts of 300B tube power, even more so with the 50 watt McIntosh MC250 I used to have on them normally.

But anywho...

cornwalls are tinny sounding, all the treble sounds like a tin can, and is not relaxing in the slightest, the sound is horrible.   

d9's sound much better.  ive auditioned them in the past along with those cornerhorns,( which are even worse sounding )

ill put those old D-9's up against any speaker in terms of sheer sound and window rattling ability. thet bested the at-15's and those crappy sounding se380's by a huge margin.
sorry to dump on your org post, not iuntentional dude.......  \,,/ 

the d9's were nominal 4-8 ohm,...the woofer was 4 ohm, and the mids were parallel..  they were pretty mich a 4 ohm speaker.

SJ David

« Reply #41 on: 23 Feb 2014, 09:04 pm »
  cornwalls are tinny sounding, all the treble sounds like a tin can, and is not relaxing in the slightest, the sound is horrible.   

d9's sound much better.  ive auditioned them in the past along with those cornerhorns,( which are even worse sounding )

ill put those old D-9's up against any speaker in terms of sheer sound and window rattling ability. thet bested the at-15's and those crappy sounding se380's by a huge margin.

the d9's were nominal 4-8 ohm,...the woofer was 4 ohm, and the mids were parallel..  they were pretty mich a 4 ohm speaker.

Around here (San Jose CA) we have some earthquakes that can rattle the holy crap out the windows. Funny thing is that I never tried to hold my speakers to that experience as a measure of quality.

Chops

« Reply #42 on: 24 Feb 2014, 01:45 am »

WAY off topic once again, hopefully for the LAST time...

When powered by cheap, junk equipment, the Cornwall's will in fact sound tiny. They only sound as good as the equipment upstream. When they have decent gear ahead of them with the proper amplifier powering them, they sound extremely good considering.

My friend had D9's and AT-15's that he praised. He brought them over to my house one day and we played them side-by-side with my Cornwall's, in my system. If you consider sloppy boomy bass, hallow midrange and disjointed treble, then by all means, go with the CV's. BTW, shortly after that day, which he said that was the best his speakers ever sounded, he sold both pairs and got himself a pair of Cornwall's as well.

CV's were designed for so-so sound and very loud volume levels with consumer grade, moderate powered receivers.

Also, unless you know something CV doesn't about their own gear, the D9's are 8 ohms, period...

Arcticdeth

« Reply #43 on: 25 Feb 2014, 03:19 pm »
paper stats mean nothing.

woofer tested at 3.7  ( 4 ohm ) mids & tweet are 8 ohm.  so is this a 4 or 8 ohm speaker ? in reality ?
  i know it dips well below 4 on some passages, and higher at others ? meter hooked up between speaker and amps during playback ( i know not very accurate, but it does play righht around just above 4 ohm on normal playback.

erniek

« Reply #44 on: 25 Feb 2014, 06:58 pm »
I have now had a full month to listen to my Khartago and boy am I happy I took the time to research and find out about something I got interested in purchasing at last years Axpona. It took me almost 8 months to order one and took about 6 weeks for my modded Khartago to come. All I will say about this is that I am very happy with my amp and look forward to continuing on my audio journey with an Odyssey appreciation. Thanks Klaus

Arcticdeth

« Reply #45 on: 25 Feb 2014, 08:16 pm »
I have now had a full month to listen to my Khartago and boy am I happy I took the time to research and find out about something I got interested in purchasing at last years Axpona. It took me almost 8 months to order one and took about 6 weeks for my modded Khartago to come. All I will say about this is that I am very happy with my amp and look forward to continuing on my audio journey with an Odyssey appreciation. Thanks Klaus

we expect a FULL report in the coming months as to the progress, and sounds of the breaking in process......

I have a little while before I give klaus a call and say " LETS GET THE BALL ROLLING " BUT IT IS SOONER THAN LATER.

anyone have thoughhts as to why I should NOT buy a nice pair of Odyssey Mono's...?

as all the good i have read, really outweighs the bad immensely.

i am really stoked about making the call to klaus...................

i have owned many many amps over the years, some great and some bad, i just want   RELIABLE grerat sounding mono blocks that will make me happy for a looooong time.

i can not stress """ RELIABLE """ ENOUGH......must be the luck o' the Irish, when it comes to amplifiers with me, i have had bad luck.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #46 on: 26 Feb 2014, 07:18 pm »
Arcticdeth, you're reall on the fence about this.  My Plus amp is sounding great, but have only had it since January.  Are there no Odyssey owners close enough to you that have your speakers so that you could go for a listen?  If not, order the darn things, plug 'em in and if they aren't to your liking, send 'em back.  Get 'er done.

Arcticdeth

« Reply #47 on: 27 Feb 2014, 04:49 pm »
Arcticdeth, you're reall on the fence about this.  My Plus amp is sounding great, but have only had it since January.  Are there no Odyssey owners close enough to you that have your speakers so that you could go for a listen?  If not, order the darn things, plug 'em in and if they aren't to your liking, send 'em back.  Get 'er done.

as soon as i get the rathole cash saved up to make a nice lump payment, I will be calling klaus, and get the ball rolling for some nice mono's !!
til then, its a pipedream.......but will soon come true, I just hope  they are as good as everyone says, soundwise and **** RELIABILITY ****
i need something that I dont have to worry about, but since klaus is pretty close to me, this wont be a issue, as I can call and drop them off, as i dont like shipping, they treat stuff like shit. ups, dhl, usps, the lot.    im antsy to get these, but rest assured.....I WILL !!!!!!

Oystein

« Reply #48 on: 28 Feb 2014, 01:09 pm »

Is this the new look for all Khartago amps ? ... with the Odyssey logo behind the window ...
All Khartagos have only a blue centre led but no window.
Or is this also an optional "upgrade" ?

Chops

« Reply #49 on: 28 Feb 2014, 08:38 pm »
It's an upgrade. The regular amp has just the single LED.

germay0653

« Reply #50 on: 2 Mar 2014, 12:47 am »
The Odyssey window looks sweet on the Khartago!  I wonder if Klaus could offer it to existing owners? 

germay0653

« Reply #51 on: 7 Mar 2014, 02:33 am »
Chops,

You live in Lakeland?  I work in Lakeland and live in Lithia.  Small world!!

Chops

« Reply #52 on: 8 Mar 2014, 03:28 am »
Chops,

You live in Lakeland?  I work in Lakeland and live in Lithia.  Small world!!

Yep, sure do, and it IS a small world.  :wink:

Chops

« Reply #53 on: 13 Aug 2014, 08:57 pm »
Wow, I haven't realized that it's been this long already... Five months!

Anyway, I've had the wonderful Khartago Kismet up and running in my system non-stop, 24/7 ever since I received it back on March 4th. I only had it turned off for about 30 minutes one day when I switched out the old Onkyo receiver for a new, much better Marantz receiver on March 30th. It's majorly stripped down vs the Onkyo, but it sounds a whole lot better in every way. It's the little NR1504 and is designed with audio quality in mind, NOT video go-fasters like the Onkyo.

I've got all of the Wireworld ICs and speaker cables installed right around the same time, actually back in October '13 for the ICs and the same day for the speaker cables and amp, so they are all well burned in. The amp is getting awfully close to the six month burn-in period that Klaus talked about. At least I think that's what he said. At any rate, this is an amazing amplifier. I now know what these NHT 2.9s are all about. They sound fantastic!

This is my take on the Khartago Kismet amp... This amp reminds me of the massive Audio Research Reference 300 Mk II monoblocks (originally $30,000 a pair). Overall sheer speed, incredible bass weight, texture and control, huge dynamic swings, the ability to produce utterly realistic vocals right in the room like never before, a very open, spacious and natural lower and upper midrange, the perfect balance of brilliance, smoothness and detail in the treble, and capable of extracting all of the minute, typically masked over micro and macro details in recordings.

I always knew the NHT 2.9s were great speakers from all of the old reviews of them and the 3.3s, but I was not expecting the kind of performance that I'm getting out of them now. Of course, the WW cables and Marantz receiver have a lot to do with it, but the biggest contributor of all of this is the amp. Of course, if I were able to get a proper dedicated preamp to bypass the receiver, I'm sure I'd realize even more magic out of this system. One of these days I'll either get a fully hot-rodded Odyssey Tempest preamp or something similar to go to that next step in audio nirvana. But for right now, I'm pretty damn impressed and amazed every day with my current setup.

Here's a few older pics of when I got the amp. Still had the old Onkyo in the mix...

And a horrible iPhone pic with the new Marantz receiver...

erniek

« Reply #54 on: 13 Aug 2014, 09:20 pm »
Small world here too. I live in Sun City Center. I own a Marantz 1403 and also received my Khartago in January of this year. Also have the Tempest which I purchased used about the same time. I recently added a pair of KEF LS50 and currently run them from the Odyssey combo. I am amped up about my amp.
Now I am at the stage where getting everything in balance and tweaked correctly is the challenge but cool to see someone near has similar stuff to share experiences with.

Chops

« Reply #55 on: 13 Aug 2014, 10:50 pm »
Small world here too. I live in Sun City Center. I own a Marantz 1403 and also received my Khartago in January of this year. Also have the Tempest which I purchased used about the same time. I recently added a pair of KEF LS50 and currently run them from the Odyssey combo. I am amped up about my amp.
Now I am at the stage where getting everything in balance and tweaked correctly is the challenge but cool to see someone near has similar stuff to share experiences with.

Yeah, you're not too far away either. germay0653 is about halfway between the two of us. Maybe we should all plan on some small hifi get-togethers at some point. I've always wanted to do something like that but have never had the opportunity to. Either everyone is too far away or timing is never good.

Did you ever have the Khartago and LS50's running off of the Marantz? If so, how does/did it compare when replaced with the Tempest? Any pics of your setup?

Also, getting everything "in balance" is part of the fun if you ask me.  :thumb:

germay0653

« Reply #56 on: 18 Aug 2014, 11:49 am »
Would love to get together however I'm having surgery (recovery time is 4 - 6 weeks) in October and moving to South Carolina in December so my time is very constrained with getting the house ready for sale.

CHOPS, I may stop in at Southgate, if you still work there, since it's 10 minutes from where I work to say hi!

erniek

« Reply #57 on: 19 Aug 2014, 07:00 pm »
What speakers are you driving with the Khartago? I currently have KEF LS50 and Monitor Audio 5i. It really shines with the KEFs.
Yes getting together would be good but for me it would have to be after mid September. I am also considering joining the audio club here in Tampa/Sarasota in the near future and hoping to possibly host a meeting in Sun City. I have access to a hall for such a thing. I hope to be doing more hobby socializing soon.

Chops

« Reply #58 on: 23 Aug 2014, 04:37 pm »
Would love to get together however I'm having surgery (recovery time is 4 - 6 weeks) in October and moving to South Carolina in December so my time is very constrained with getting the house ready for sale.

CHOPS, I may stop in at Southgate, if you still work there, since it's 10 minutes from where I work to say hi!

That's odd. When did I ever say I worked at Southgate? And yes, I still work there.  :wink:

Chops

« Reply #59 on: 23 Aug 2014, 04:52 pm »
What speakers are you driving with the Khartago? I currently have KEF LS50 and Monitor Audio 5i. It really shines with the KEFs.
Yes getting together would be good but for me it would have to be after mid September. I am also considering joining the audio club here in Tampa/Sarasota in the near future and hoping to possibly host a meeting in Sun City. I have access to a hall for such a thing. I hope to be doing more hobby socializing soon.

I'm using old NHT 2.9's and the Khartago has no problems what so ever driving them at mildly demanding movie levels (as far as loud in an apartment can be) with extreme bass content as well as playing music at somewhat low levels and still having that tight punchy bass and smoothness and detail throughout. I think I've heard about that audio club in Tampa but cant remember the name of it now. I may even know a couple of the members from another forum that are in that club.

Speaking of work, meets and clubs, a customer came in the store the other day (he's been coming here for years) and we both just discovered that we're into hifi and music. He said him and a friend in town get together once a week or month and listen to each other's systems for several hours at a time. I told him it would be fun to be able to do that since all I've ever done is read about such things in the forums. He's in the store all the time and said the next time he comes in he'll let me know when they meet next and invite me if I'm able. I'm assuming both of these guys are in their mid to late 60's as they are both retired and he was talking about studying something back in school back in 1957. Also seems we all like the same music as well, classical, jazz, etc, etc.