Bryston Loudspeakers

stereobear

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #2520 on: 17 Mar 2017, 11:57 pm »
James, thanks for your reply.

I listen to all types of music and do not play loud.

Do both the A and T models use the same tweeters and mid-range drivers?

My small room will not get overloaded by too much bass or sound boomy with either speaker?

srb

« Reply #2521 on: 18 Mar 2017, 12:08 am »
... but the Middle T will go lower ...

I see that the Middle T has 2 X 8" woofers (and ~ 10% more enclosure volume) vs. the A2's 2 X 6.5" woofers, yet the specifications show the A2 has an F3 of 31Hz vs. the Middle T F3 of 33Hz ?

Mag

« Reply #2522 on: 18 Mar 2017, 12:28 am »

My small room will not get overloaded by too much bass or sound boomy with either speaker?

That was my concern when I bought the Model T, that they would overload the room, which wasn't the case. But your room is about 1/2 the size of mine. So knowing the kind of bass the 8" driver puts out, IMO I'd opt for the A2 with the smaller drivers, which should be more articulate. As well with higher resolution recordings such as with the BCD-3, that generates more heat, dual drivers and tweeters, would better handle heat.

But you say you don't play your music loud, so it's probably a none issue. :smoke:

srb

« Reply #2523 on: 18 Mar 2017, 12:37 am »
But your room is about 1/2 the size of mine. So knowing the kind of bass the 8" driver puts out, IMO I'd opt for the A2 with the smaller drivers, which should be more articulate.

That plus the fact that the A2 is only ~ 60% of the cost of the Middle T (in the US) should help make the choice a lot easier.  ;)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #2524 on: 18 Mar 2017, 12:59 am »

Hi

The Sound Power is very even on both speakers so I do not think you will find either one would overload your room. 

Yes all the drivers in all the speakers are identical. I wanted a customer to choose the speaker based on Application and budget rather than differences in Quality.

I have the A2 and the Middles in my second room and I alternate them in and out and they are more similar than different but I do give the Middles the advantage at resolving small differences but it is not night and day.  The Middles do have lower bass output with less distortion though due to the two 8 inch woofers and the cabinet is much more robus which provides a bit more articulation in the bass range. .

« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2017, 11:55 am by James Tanner »

Christo22

« Reply #2525 on: 26 Mar 2017, 12:45 pm »
James,

I have at home a nice pair of Mini Tz (walnut) on MR60.
I'm using as of now a 4b3 but I'm considering the 7b3s...
What you think?
I have seen on page 123 or 124 a nice setup with the Mini Tz and the the 7b3...

bud1451

« Reply #2526 on: 26 Mar 2017, 04:26 pm »
I've been using the 4b3 powering my Model t with great results...no need to upgrade to 7b. Previously I was using an older 14bst, the highs of course are much better, more detail & smoother. The most surprising thing was the bass....as good if not better than the older 14b and seems to go louder also.
My mini Ts should arrive this week for a second system, I will be using 4b3 to power them

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2527 on: 27 Mar 2017, 06:24 am »
James,

I have at home a nice pair of Mini Tz (walnut) on MR60.
I'm using as of now a 4b3 but I'm considering the 7b3s...
What you think?
I have seen on page 123 or 124 a nice setup with the Mini Tz and the the 7b3...

Hi Christo

I use the 7B's with the Mini T's at audio shows and its a great combination.  How big is your room?

james

Christo22

« Reply #2528 on: 27 Mar 2017, 10:40 am »
Hi Christo

I use the 7B's with the Mini T's at audio shows and its a great combination.  How big is your room?

james

Not the greatest. It is dedicated but I would say 10x11 with 9' ceilling.
Unless you suggest otherwise, after reading a few things on the weekend, I have the impression now that the 4b3 is probably more suitable considering the room factor...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2529 on: 27 Mar 2017, 11:30 am »
Not the greatest. It is dedicated but I would say 10x11 with 9' ceilling.
Unless you suggest otherwise, after reading a few things on the weekend, I have the impression now that the 4b3 is probably more suitable considering the room factor...

In that size a room I would agree - sitck with the 4B.

james

bjc

« Reply #2530 on: 6 Apr 2017, 06:59 pm »
Hi James,

It was nice talking to you at the Salon Audio de Montréal. Your demo room, the Model T with the active crossover was awesome. IMO the best sound of all the rooms and by far ! Congratulations !

jc

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2531 on: 6 Apr 2017, 07:13 pm »
Hi James,

It was nice talking to you at the Salon Audio de Montréal. Your demo room, the Model T with the active crossover was awesome. IMO the best sound of all the rooms and by far ! Congratulations !

jc

Thanks JC - much appreciated - Active systems really do take the performance up a notch  :thumb:

james

gene9p

« Reply #2532 on: 7 Apr 2017, 02:57 pm »
just added a Manley chinook phono stage with phillips tubes to my system. The large soundstage produced has raised the performance of my 2 year old Mini T's to a new height. The Manley is an incredible performer and combined with the Mini T's is.......well.....WOW. If you have a turntable and Bryston speakers, you owe it to yourself to try one out.

Wahid Ullah

« Reply #2533 on: 10 Apr 2017, 03:20 am »
Hi James, I am seriously considering a purchase of one pair of Model T signature for a room sized 16x13x8. Given the smaller size of my room will it be a good fit? Also, my other equipment in the set up are: McIntosh MC452 amp with 2 x 450w capability. Is that enough power to drive the Model T's? My preamp is McIntosh C52 and Turntable is Clearaudio Ovation with Universal tonearm and Lyra DeLos cart. My CD/SACD player is Oppo BDP 105D. Will this equipment and Model T go well together? Thanks in advance for your help with this! Wahid Ullah

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2534 on: 10 Apr 2017, 10:00 am »
Hi James, I am seriously considering a purchase of one pair of Model T signature for a room sized 16x13x8. Given the smaller size of my room will it be a good fit? Also, my other equipment in the set up are: McIntosh MC452 amp with 2 x 450w capability. Is that enough power to drive the Model T's? My preamp is McIntosh C52 and Turntable is Clearaudio Ovation with Universal tonearm and Lyra DeLos cart. My CD/SACD player is Oppo BDP 105D. Will this equipment and Model T go well together? Thanks in advance for your help with this! Wahid Ullah

Hi Wahid

The rest of your equipment would work fine with the Model T's. 

What speaker have you used in that room and did you have any issues with it?

james

Rider20

« Reply #2535 on: 21 Apr 2017, 12:17 am »
Hi James,

I just purchased a Bryston AC1 Micro center channel (and probably soon to be a pair of Mini A's as well) and had a couple questions about it. Firstly, I was just curious how long of a break-in period you recommend until it's at it's final sound? And secondly, the AC1 Micro is a larger sized center channel with a bit larger size drivers than I am currently using, yet the AC1 Micro is only rated down to 95Hz while my smaller center is good down to 75-80Hz. Would the AC1 Micro not be able to be crossed over at 80Hz in my receiver like I use now with my current, smaller center channel?

P.S. FANTASTIC speakers by the way!!

Thanks for any advice you can give,
Rider.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2536 on: 21 Apr 2017, 12:37 am »
Hi James,

I just purchased a Bryston AC1 Micro center channel (and probably soon to be a pair of Mini A's as well) and had a couple questions about it. Firstly, I was just curious how long of a break-in period you recommend until it's at it's final sound? And secondly, the AC1 Micro is a larger sized center channel with a bit larger size drivers than I am currently using, yet the AC1 Micro is only rated down to 95Hz while my smaller center is good down to 75-80Hz. Would the AC1 Micro not be able to be crossed over at 80Hz in my receiver like I use now with my current, smaller center channel?

P.S. FANTASTIC speakers by the way!!

Thanks for any advice you can give,
Rider.

Hi Rider

I would say about 30- 50 hours generally for break-in.

Sure you can crossover at 80Hz.  The crossover recommendation is just a guide so the there is some leeway available.

I agree its a superb speaker and when you get the Mini A's it is a great match with a soundstage to die for  :thumb:

james

Rider20

« Reply #2537 on: 21 Apr 2017, 01:00 am »

Hi Rider

I would say about 30- 50 hours generally for break-in.

Sure you can crossover at 80Hz.  The crossover recommendation is just a guide so the there is some leeway available.

I agree its a superb speaker and when you get the Mini A's it is a great match with a soundstage to die for  :thumb:

james

Nice, thanks James!

I defeat the crossover on my subwoofers and let the receiver handle it, so I just wanted to be sure that the gap in between the 80Hz crossover and the Micro's 95Hz extension would not be lost and not played by either the speakers or the sub. But if the Micro is still good down to 80Hz, then that's the crossover I'll use, as I didn't want my new center speaker to be cutoff higher than my old one :wink:

Definitely my top choice of the 30+ different speaker's I've listened to over the last 8 months!

Thanks again,
Rider.

Christo22

« Reply #2538 on: 24 Apr 2017, 02:24 am »
In that size a room I would agree - sitck with the 4B.

james

Thanks James.
I kept my 4b3 but changed my BP17 for a BP26... ;)
Now I'm looking at upgrading my MINI Ts for your MODEL Ts or MIDDLE Ts.
I would however prefer the MODEL Ts...
Room as I wrote earlier is 10x11 with 9' ceiling. Two questions:
1- Would the MODEL Ts be too big? And what about the standoff from the wall considering the "small room"? I read in the previous pages "a couple of feet"... I have acoustic panels that I could relocated if needed...
2- Tweeters at ear level... with the Middle Ts, Tweeters would be just perfect for my seating position. But with the MODEL Ts, Tweeters will be higher than ear level. What you think?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #2539 on: 24 Apr 2017, 10:42 am »

Thanks James.
I kept my 4b3 but changed my BP17 for a BP26... ;)
Now I'm looking at upgrading my MINI Ts for your MODEL Ts or MIDDLE Ts.
I would however prefer the MODEL Ts...
Room as I wrote earlier is 10x11 with 9' ceiling. Two questions:
1- Would the MODEL Ts be too big? And what about the standoff from the wall considering the "small room"? I read in the previous pages "a couple of feet"... I have acoustic panels that I could relocated if needed...
2- Tweeters at ear level... with the Middle Ts, Tweeters would be just perfect for my seating position. But with the MODEL Ts, Tweeters will be higher than ear level. What you think?

Hi Christo

How do the Mini T's sound in that room?

james