Kodak Files for Bankruptcy and the Decline Film Stocks ....

JohnR

Re: Kodak Files for Bankruptcy and....
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jun 2013, 10:01 am »
:scratch:

I don't print out photos anymore - just send 'em or post them electronically.   8)

I think you missed my point :) It was easier to just drop off a roll of film and get the prints back an hour later.

My comments come from the article about Kodak doing "everything else". The small photo processing labs were (in retrospect) a marvel of chemistry and electronics.

That's what I think anyway  :D

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #21 on: 26 Jun 2013, 01:45 pm »
Being 64 yrs old, and having gone thru many, many cameras, film, darkroom etc.....digital is a blessing.

I can remember countless times when I dropped off the film in my early days and getting the prints an hour later and seeing how good or bad they were....those dark prints, those mediocre prints etc..

Unless you really understand photography and light....with film you never now what you got until you got your prints back...you lost total control and had to settle on their size etc...and standard sizes...if you wanted custom well shell out more bucks and the latitude of film prevented mucking around much at all...and its was tedious in the darkroom as well.

Digital allows you to stay in what I call 'idiot' mode....totally, take a pix send it to one of thousands of print shops on the net and instant gratification...

and

If you want total control you can do that as well without the smelly darkroom and wet chemicals etc....I can still smell that smell....LOL

Yes along with digital comes hard drives and backups and yes its a pain. I have over a 100k digital prints across 8 hard drives!

But I have hundreds of slides and Kodak, Illford etc rolls of film that have sadly faded over time...the digital bits in their RAW format will outlive all of us.

Print clogging for me was never an issue, if you print alot, shake the carts once a month there is no big deal. I have used hgh end pigment printers for years and never had any real clogging issues....but I print alot....

I can take a print, upload to the PC and do Photoshop edits and print in 10-15 minutes...and if i have to re-take i can do this right then and there, not wait for the stuff to come in from the lab....and the subject is long gone.

I would not go back to Film....even as nostalgic as it is even for me...

Time marches on with our without us smiling!

Alex

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jun 2013, 02:09 pm »
Digital allows you to stay in what I call 'idiot' mode...

Well, it's interesting how two people can look at the exact same thing and have polar-opposite opinions...  :D

To me, "idiot mode" is when I used to drop off a roll of film and get back prints an hour later. It was simple, not much thought required at all. In terms of exposure, color balance etc, I'd have to say they were pretty good as a rule.... and I rather doubt it's because of my skill as a photographer, so it could have been that the camera did a reasonable job of it or it was adjusted in processing... I'm talking 80's and 90's here.

But people around me have all kinds of trouble with digital. For example, not even being able to even find a photo: it's on my camera.... oh no wait, it must be on my phone.... no i can't find it there either, is it on my computer somewhere? Oh maybe in my email...

SET Man

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jun 2013, 10:12 pm »
I'm surprised that it's as early as 2002/3 that digital cameras overtook film. Hm, but, well, now that I think about it, I did already have a digital camera then  :lol: A Canon 2MP, still got it somewhere  :o

Film used to be easier than digital is now. Maybe I was less fussy in those days. Just drop the roll off and an hour later you've got prints. Need a larger one, just tell them the number. No mucking around with post processing, printer inks, clogged jets, backup drives, etc etc.

Hey!

Same here.... my younger brother got digital camera before me, it was one of those Sony 1.3MP one that record on floppy disk. Than not long after I sold that one on eBay for him and he got a 2MP Sony, of which I think I still have some where :lol: I used that sometime.

I was still shooting film, both color and B&W exclusively until 2005 when I got my first DSLR... a 6MP one, yes I still have that too. It worth like next to nothing these days.  :roll:

Being 64 yrs old, and having gone thru many, many cameras, film, darkroom etc.....digital is a blessing.

I would not go back to Film....even as nostalgic as it is even for me...

Time marches on with our without us smiling!

Alex

I also shoot digital now for works and most of my personal stuffs. There are lots of advantage to digital over film, you do have more control over the final print or should I say file.  :icon_lol:

But unlike you and many people, once in a while I like to load up my film camera with B&W and go out for a walk. Why? I don't know... nostalgia? Maybe? I find that film and digital have a different shooting mentality and feel. And because I grew up shooting film I tend to do that same when I shoot with digital.

Anyway, mostly I like the feel I get with B&W from film and that's why I still shoot film sometime. Although, I still have my Beseler 4X5 enlarger I haven't use it since 2005. I still develop my own B&W film but I now scan them.

But now a day I don't shoot much film to make a different in film sale number. And film will never dominate the photography again... ever. Some will never touch film ever again but some will. But like vinyl, it will be around for years to come. I'm sure at least it will still be around in my life time. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jun 2013, 11:58 pm »
it was one of those Sony 1.3MP one that record on floppy disk

:lol: I caught this thread in passing and couldn't help but smile at this.  I'm STILL using one of those!  Being completely honest, I've just been to cheap/lazy to replace it.  The CCD is starting to get a little bad, the ancient Dell laptop that I'm using as a big, ugly floppy to USB drive converter is in about as rough shape as the camera, the rechargeable battery only holds a charge for about an hour, and I've only got a handful of working floppy disks left. . .

. . . but we continue trudging on!  :green:

(. . . but seriously, I really do need to finally pony up for a new camera. . .)

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #25 on: 27 Jun 2013, 12:48 am »
Hey!

This is a big one.... at least for some like me who started out in photography back in the old day of film.  :(

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/eastman-kodak-files-for-bankruptcy/

The ironic thing about this that Kodak invented the digital photography............................ ....

Always, changes are hard to accept.  Life goes on.  Don't look back.  That's why I'm not looking back at vinyl.... :lol:  For some, it's STILL a good feeling to be driving around a '56 Ford, right? :D :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jul 2013, 03:17 am »
Always, changes are hard to accept.  Life goes on.  Don't look back.  That's why I'm not looking back at vinyl.... :lol:  For some, it's STILL a good feeling to be driving around a '56 Ford, right? :D :thumb:

Hey!

Well, I wouldn't mind have a '56 Ford for weekend drive :wink:

No, change is not hard to accept. It doses take time to get use to and for it to mature for some tech stuffs. Talking about digital photography.  My first experience with digital was a 1.3MP than, 2MP Sony P&S cams. I have to admit that I hated it at the beginning. I didn't get a DSLR until 2005 of which is was a Minolta 6MP, I didn't like it, than I moved up to Sony 10MP in 2007 and still I didn't like it. Not until I got my current DSLR the Sony A700 in 2008, that I feel comfortable with image quality wise at 12MP. I still feel that a better sensor with 24MP would be a sweet spot and looking forward to a new DSLR soon.

Anyway, I still have soft spot for film especially with B&W and I will continue to shoot B&W films.

Yes, life goes on, but it would be wise to look back to that past to see how far we have come, maybe we can learn something and/or inspired by the past to create something new in the future. :D

:lol: I caught this thread in passing and couldn't help but smile at this.  I'm STILL using one of those!  Being completely honest, I've just been to cheap/lazy to replace it.  The CCD is starting to get a little bad, the ancient Dell laptop that I'm using as a big, ugly floppy to USB drive converter is in about as rough shape as the camera, the rechargeable battery only holds a charge for about an hour, and I've only got a handful of working floppy disks left. . .

. . . but we continue trudging on!  :green:

(. . . but seriously, I really do need to finally pony up for a new camera. . .)

No way! The Sony digital cam with floopy disk? Well, if you ever get a new digital camera, get ready for techno shock. But if you do get a new digital cam than it is likely that you will have to upgrade your old computer too also. The old laptop won't be able to keep up with the file size of a new camera.

Take care,

SET Man

Re: Kodak Files for Bankruptcy and the Decline Film Stocks ....
« Reply #27 on: 27 Jul 2013, 03:23 am »
Hey!

Well, look like we have lost more film stocks...

http://www.popphoto.com/news/2013/07/fujifilm-killing-provia-400x-and-neopan-400-bw-films

According to news on Popular Photography... I used to read Pop Photo when I first started in photography and in today's digital world I still check out their site sometime.

Anyway, honestly I don't care much for the Neopan 400 of which I've never use personally. But I do once in a while pick up the Provia 400, mostly to test accuracy of my film cameras. The sad news is that I don't think there is any 400 ISO transparency film left now! Bummer  :(

Well, luckily the Velvia and Provia 100 are still around... but I wonder how long? Not many people shoot transparency films these days. As for negative, I'm not worry much about those.

Take care,

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #28 on: 27 Jul 2013, 09:56 am »
Well..... vinyl recording is hanging tough!!!!!!!!!!!, hope they (vinyl and film) will be around for a long time, regardless of what happened to the cassette and 8-track :bawl:.....  The world rolls on, regardless.  Supposedly, the CD is going to disappear by the end of the year, give or take...... :duh:

SET Man

« Reply #29 on: 25 Sep 2013, 03:36 am »
Hey!

Well, here's a little good news in film analog photography...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/ilford-opens-us-lab/

Ilford opens a B&W photo labs in California, processing your film by mail!  :o This is unexpected for me for sure. So, this shows that there is still enough demand in traditional photography for Ilford to invests in a lab.

Not to mention that Ilford still have their full line of B&W films from ISO 50 to 3200. :D

Take care,

gnuyork

« Reply #30 on: 7 Dec 2013, 02:32 pm »
Just found this thread. I am depressed about some of my favorite films going away. The end of Kdoachrome was bad, but my other two staples E100Vs and Fugi Velvia 50 (in sheet film) gone. I still have some stock in my freezer (which is why I am just discovering these films gone), but when I found out about it I lost sleep...

I do also shoot digital (just received a new digital camera yesterday even), but it does not replace of the experience of shooting with film for me.

SET Man

« Reply #31 on: 8 Dec 2013, 05:00 am »
Just found this thread. I am depressed about some of my favorite films going away. The end of Kdoachrome was bad, but my other two staples E100Vs and Fugi Velvia 50 (in sheet film) gone. I still have some stock in my freezer (which is why I am just discovering these films gone), but when I found out about it I lost sleep...

I do also shoot digital (just received a new digital camera yesterday even), but it does not replace of the experience of shooting with film for me.

Hey!

Welcome to the club  :icon_lol:

Well, the list of discontinued film is getting longer, color films are disappearing fast especially slide/transparency films. I don't think Kodak have any slide film now and Fuji recently killed the 400 ISO slide.  :roll:

As for B&W, it is still pretty good actually thanks to new films from Europe. This is good for me since I still like to shoot B&W sometime still. And my film of choice is still Tri-X... I think I will cry if Kodak stop making Tri-X  :?

Anyway, even with lots of bad news on film's front,  there are some good news on film once in a while. Like this one....

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/11/kodak-alaris-and-lomography-pledge-to-keep-making-film

A big thanks to Lomo for sure. They seems to be able to get younger generation interested in film photography.

BTW... here is a thread I started about vintage film camera...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=60285.0

Welcome to share any film cameras there. Always good to see other who still like film :D

Take care,

gnuyork

« Reply #32 on: 8 Dec 2013, 03:55 pm »
And my film of choice is still Tri-X... I think I will cry if Kodak stop making Tri-X  :>

I have enough Black & white film in my freezer to probably last me the rest of my life (roll, 120 and sheet film)

However, Plus X was my favorite B&W film, and that no longer exists. :cry:

SET Man

« Reply #33 on: 22 Aug 2014, 12:48 am »
Hey!

Well, time to say goodbye to another film. This time is the Kodak BW400CN....

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2014/08/kodak-officially-discontinues-bw400cn-film

It's a C41 B&W film, so you can drop it off at any color lab that do color C41 even at the drugstores. Although I've never use this film, since I like to use the real traditional B&W film and develop it myself... still it is sad to see another Kodak film gone.

Anyway, there is another C41 B&W film available and that is Ilford XP2 and look like Ilford is still dong well and have more B&W films available. Sadly I'm not much of Ilford films fan, I like the edginess of Kodak film better. But it is good to know that there is an alternative out there.

Take care,
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2014, 02:30 am by SET Man »

Guy 13

« Reply #34 on: 22 Aug 2014, 02:10 am »
Hi all.
I think there will always be B&W film available,
of course the choice will shrink down even more with time.
I can still get Kodak and Fuji B&W film (35mm + 120)
from my local lab and he keeps them in the refrigerator, minds you,
when I buy a B&W or color film from him,
the expiration date is always on the border line.
I tries to shot B&W with my Nikon D200,
but I really did not like the results, maybe it was me with Photoshop
or the lab with his printing machine.
By the way, I prefer to shot B&W with my Mamiya 645E.

Guy 13

geowak

« Reply #35 on: 22 Aug 2014, 04:39 pm »
It is sad about Kodak. If you lived during any film/negative photography era, you might understand this. For me, I did shoot film slr, and made the leap to digital. To be able to see, instantly, the settings you made compared to the final image on the small LCD screen on the camera helps one to understand topics like f-stops or aperture, the effects for various shutter speeds to capture motion and over exposure vs under exposure. It is easier, I think, to learn about how cameras control light, to the point one can capture an image on a sensor.

I also agree with an earlier post, darkroom activities used to be very messy. Not to mention, toxic to one's self and the environment. The digital darkroom can be overwhelming, but amazing too. I always thought digital photography would make photographs in the courtroom as evidence, obsolete.

2wo

« Reply #36 on: 22 Aug 2014, 09:15 pm »
I worked for Kodak for 15 years until our division was sold to J&J. I used to go up to Rochester and Kodak park was a city within the city. Now KP is a wasteland, they demolished most of the buildings so they wouldn't have to pay taxes on them...John

http://www.wired.com/2012/11/robert-burley-disappearance-of-darkness/#slideid-494002     

Bemopti123

« Reply #37 on: 22 Aug 2014, 09:30 pm »
Hey!

Well, time to say goodbye to another film. This time is the Kodak BW400CN....

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2014/08/kodak-officially-discontinues-bw400cn-film

It's a C41 B&W film, so you can drop it off at any color lab that do color C41 even at the drugstores. Although I've never use this film, since I like to use the real traditional B&W film and develop it myself... still it is sad to see another Kodak film gone.

Anyway, there is another C41 B&W film available and that is Ilford XP2 and look like Ilford is still dong well and have more B&W films available. Sadly I'm not much of Ilford films fan, I like the edginess of Kodak film better. But it is good to know that there is an alternative out there.

Take care,

This is such a sad passing of things past.  Film along with cassettes and other such things, just makes me think of the time passing by.  At least vinyl is alive and kicking.  I actually saw some newer Polaroid cameras....Perhaps they want to use the nostalgia thing in order to sell some cameras made in the Far East. 

SET Man

« Reply #38 on: 22 Aug 2014, 11:53 pm »
It is sad about Kodak. If you lived during any film/negative photography era, you might understand this. For me, I did shoot film slr, and made the leap to digital. To be able to see, instantly, the settings you made compared to the final image on the small LCD screen on the camera helps one to understand topics like f-stops or aperture, the effects for various shutter speeds to capture motion and over exposure vs under exposure. It is easier, I think, to learn about how cameras control light, to the point one can capture an image on a sensor.

I also agree with an earlier post, darkroom activities used to be very messy. Not to mention, toxic to one's self and the environment. The digital darkroom can be overwhelming, but amazing too. I always thought digital photography would make photographs in the courtroom as evidence, obsolete.

Hey!

Yeah, I'm one of those people who started out in photography with film. It is hard to explain why I still like and shoot film sometime to some people especially younger people... some of them probably never touch film at all. Showing then pictures help but to them they feel that they could just do everything with digital filters and etc.  :roll:

I worked for Kodak for 15 years until our division was sold to J&J. I used to go up to Rochester and Kodak park was a city within the city. Now KP is a wasteland, they demolished most of the buildings so they wouldn't have to pay taxes on them...John

http://www.wired.com/2012/11/robert-burley-disappearance-of-darkness/#slideid-494002     

Thank you for the link. It is sad to see and read the article for me. Especially near the end of the article talking about the Kodak Tri-X left me a bit uneasy. I just shot a roll last week and it was great as usual. I love Tri-X and so are others out there, but I don't know there will be enough people buying it to keep it going.

This is such a sad passing of things past.  Film along with cassettes and other such things, just makes me think of the time passing by.  At least vinyl is alive and kicking.  I actually saw some newer Polaroid cameras....Perhaps they want to use the nostalgia thing in order to sell some cameras made in the Far East. 

I have to admit that I don't miss the cassettes but it kills me every time I see film being discontinued,seriously.

Every time I walk pass by the shelf in my apartment full of my film cameras, some of them are mechanical beauties to me. I can't help thinking of how long will I be able to buy film for them.  It is a sad thing for me to think about it :(

It would be nice if film will hang around like vinyl. By the way you can still get Polaroid films for some of your old Polaroid cameras...

https://www.the-impossible-project.com/

But is going to cost you.

Take care,

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #39 on: 24 Aug 2014, 02:41 pm »
   I have to admit that I don't miss the cassettes but it kills me every time I see film being discontinued,seriously.

Every time I walk pass by the shelf in my apartment full of my film cameras, some of them are mechanical beauties to me. I can't help thinking of how long will I be able to buy film for them.  It is a sad thing for me to think about it :(

+1!   :(