Pulled the trigger on Perfect Storms

Chrisandalex1

Pulled the trigger on Perfect Storms
« on: 3 Mar 2015, 01:04 am »
I am happy to say that after reading through everything I could find on Vapor and Ryan, and after speaking with Ryan personally about his company, I have ordered their new Perfect Storm speakers for my new system.

I am really excited to work with Ryan and Vapor to customize the speakers to meet my needs.  Ryan has been extremely upfront about the timing issues he has experience with a few clients in the past, and I appreciate this. 

However, the part that I find most exciting is the unwavering support Vapor has from virtually every one of their clients on the quality of the sound, the extraordinary build, and on the value for my hard earned money.

Ryan has said these will be done for EXPONA, but I have suggested that he will likely learn a lot about the speakers while he is there and that he will also probably also want to tweak them as a result.  I am not in a hurry to get them and want him to have as much time as he needs to make sure they are indeed his Flagship product and that they exceed his expectations.

I can't wait to get them though.

bajaed

Re: Pulled the trigger on Perfect Storms
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2015, 01:27 am »
Awesome, congratulations! Can't wait to hear (hopefully) and see the Perfect Storm.

Every year something comes up that keeps me from making Axpona, I hope 2015 finally works out. Can't think of a product I'd rather check out than these.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2015, 01:43 am »
Congrats, Chris!

I was excited to hear it's going to use an Audiotechnology 15" woofer vs the 11" unit in the Joule, I hope you guys are going to bring it to RMAF this year because I'd love to hear it!

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2015, 01:51 am »
Congrats, Chris!

I was excited to hear it's going to use an Audiotechnology 15" woofer vs the 11" unit in the Joule, I hope you guys are going to bring it to RMAF this year because I'd love to hear it!

Dave, most of my new system is your fault.  My wife might ban me from speaking with you anymore.  lol

Actually Dave, I really thank you for all the guidance you've provided as I build this new setup.  However, you may get to hear these long before RMAF. 

*Scotty*

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2015, 01:55 am »
Chris, can you describe how many mid-ranges it has and what type of tweeter it will have?
Scotty

pconley2

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2015, 02:02 am »
Chris, as a Joule owner, I am curious how Ryan could make a speaker more "there" than a joule, I hope he has and I hope you enjoy.
Phil

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2015, 02:04 am »
Chris, can you describe how many mid-ranges it has and what type of tweeter it will have?
Scotty

The bass woofer is the AudioTech 15” Sandwich cone
A new custom designed 8” AudioTech lower midrange
all-new Accuton 3” high-efficiency midrange
and the RAAL 140-15D

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2015, 02:26 am »
The bass woofer is the AudioTech 15” Sandwich cone
A new custom designed 8” AudioTech lower midrange
all-new Accuton 3” high-efficiency midrange
and the RAAL 140-15D
Sounds like this could be truly amazing! Congrats!

Question: Is this the first 4-way design for Vapor? Any details on the crossover?

(Also - Ryan - any chance a pair of these make it to Newport Beach?  :drool:)

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2015, 03:53 am »
Another piece of this of this project that I think is cool (Ryan came up with the idea) is that I have Dave from ZenWave Audio, who is doing all my cables, also do the internal wiring for the speakers. 

Where else do you get to have this level of participation in the design of such a high end speaker

:thumb:

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2015, 04:55 am »
Hey Chris, good to see you here!  We planned to have the official launch of the Perfect Storm by now, the final design has been set for a few months, and construction is well underway.  We're just waiting on the 3D renderings to be complete. 

I'm going to wait on announcing all the details until those renderings are complete, but give a few teasers  :wink:  The Perfect Storm will appear very much like a Joule, but significantly larger in every dimension.  There is over $3000 of plywood just to make a single pair, they will be over 5 feet tall, and weigh about 300 pounds each.  As mentioned they're a 4-way speaker, the addition of the all-new Accuton upper midrange was the final piece of the puzzle.  No other sensitive enough driver existed until now, and it's addition brings the whole design together.  94db sensitivity and bass into the low 20's, paired with this driver compliment and construction, the Perfect Storm is a speaker that can go toe-to-toe with any speaker in the World at any cost. 

GentleBender

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2015, 10:48 am »
Congrats on the awesome speakers Chris. I am waiting on a pair of Auroras to arrive I will pair with the Odyssey Cyclops. Is this for your guesthouse system and have you received the Khartagos from Klaus yet? That system is going to be killer! My Cyclops and Suspiro phono stage arrived on February 20 and has blown away all expectations. While waiting on the Auroras I am using my $125 Polk Monitor 60s and I never liked them until hooking them up to the Cyclops, now they even sound good. I never thought I would say that. I hope you live far from Florida, because once you have your system assembled, things wouldn't be the same for me after hearing it.  :icon_lol: I may hear it in Florida with all that power and Vapor's Perfect Storm speakers...

I agree that Ryan is very knowledgeable and great to talk with while he sands cabinets.  :D

fex02

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2015, 11:10 am »
congradulations.i almost ordered them.couldn't swing the money.i am awaiting a pair of joule white's.
its a great company.you will be very happy!

stlrman

« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2015, 01:22 pm »
GentleBender, compared to the Polks, your Vapor's are going to sound like the Perfect Storm.  :thumb: :thumb:

dpatters

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2015, 01:29 pm »
Congrats on the Perfect Storm. I can assure you they will be awesome.  I've had my Joule Blacks for 5 months and enjoy them more and more.

Don P.

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2015, 02:02 pm »
Congrats on the awesome speakers Chris. I am waiting on a pair of Auroras to arrive I will pair with the Odyssey Cyclops. Is this for your guesthouse system and have you received the Khartagos from Klaus yet? That system is going to be killer! My Cyclops and Suspiro phono stage arrived on February 20 and has blown away all expectations. While waiting on the Auroras I am using my $125 Polk Monitor 60s and I never liked them until hooking them up to the Cyclops, now they even sound good. I never thought I would say that. I hope you live far from Florida, because once you have your system assembled, things wouldn't be the same for me after hearing it.  :icon_lol: I may hear it in Florida with all that power and Vapor's Perfect Storm speakers...

I agree that Ryan is very knowledgeable and great to talk with while he sands cabinets.  :D

No, these will go in the main system.  I just bought the Von Schweikert V-10 Subs and Visiun Center Channel, so I think I will likely just move that whole system out to the Guesthouse.  Then I will have Ryan match the Perfect Storms with a Center Channel, Surrounds, and a couple of Subs when he gets around to designing one. Maybe this will be the perfect opportunity for Vapor to find the time to do this. 

I think the 15" woofers on these are going to be plenty, but I think putting a couple of subs on the other side of the room firing back at the speakers will help with room issues.  I am going to experiment with the VS subs, but I think that system should stay together long term.

I am really stoked to build this setup with Vapor.

Eugene2

« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2015, 03:24 pm »
Should be awesome Klaus's amps can definitely play with the big boys.  I have a Kismet integrated which he has back at his shop upgrading to a 3 box dual mono Kismet design with the tube preamp stage.  Waiting since December for its return.  Can't wait to pair it with my cirrus/ joule speakers.  Zenwave Dave just sent me his power conditioner which I have only an hours listen but I can tell you right now it is awesome!  Using a Nuforce integrated until the Kismet returns vocals on this setup are so real and palpable, all I can say is d#%n!  The perfect storm at 94 db?  94 db!  Might be a tube lovers dream, biamp with transistors on the bottom and tubes on the top...  Sorry getting carried away, you're setting up a surround system... :banana piano:

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2015, 03:27 pm »
With my Bryston SP3, I can run both 2 channel and surround setups. One of the features I like best about it.

Chrisandalex1

« Reply #17 on: 3 Mar 2015, 03:36 pm »
Here is how I see this whole system when done.

Amplifiers: Odyssey Audio Kismet Extremes Monos in Stratos Case (Left, Right Channels), Kismet Extreme in Khartago Case (Center Channel), Kismet Extreme Stereo in Khartago Case (Rear Channels)
Speakers: Perfect Storms (left and Right) Matching Perfect Storm Center Channel ( working out the details), Build another set of the top ends of the Perfect storms and put them on stands for the Surrounds, Get Vapor to design 2 Subs to complement the system.
Preamp: Bryston SP-3
Digital: Audio by E – Silenzio AE-S2.5 high performance media server, Synology DS415+ setup by Audio by E
Cables: ZenWave Audio all around
Power Conditioner: SurgeX SEQ - ZenWave Audio Edition
Isolation: Stillpoints under everything

I forgot, I have GIK coming down to give their 2 cents on the room.  I am sure they will have some solutions.
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2015, 06:58 pm by Chrisandalex1 »

jriggy

« Reply #18 on: 3 Mar 2015, 06:22 pm »
Zoinks! But that system deserves a top-notch tubes preamp.

Dragon_vibe

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 3 Mar 2015, 08:13 pm »
That's good news Ryan should be contacting me soon.