Which laptops have the best displays?

Doublej

Which laptops have the best displays?
« on: 2 Mar 2015, 05:19 pm »
Which laptops have the best displays these days on a 15.6" or 17" windows machine? FHD resolution. Anything beyond that is wasted on me.

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
Re: Which laptops have the best displays?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2015, 11:08 pm »
deleted
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2015, 12:54 am by MtnHam »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2015, 01:06 am »
Laptops screen resolution not a prob.
Its limitation is screen size.

lowtech

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2015, 01:42 am »
Laptops screen resolution not a prob.
Its limitation is screen size.

Who said anything about screen resolution?  It's just one of many parameters that separate a good display from a mediocre one.  Read the contents of the link I posted.

asliarun

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2015, 01:58 am »
Best is subjective when it comes to displays. For a photographer, it might mean 10 bit panels, near 100 percent adobe color gamut. Which is why $1000 NEC panels have a market.

For general use, a high contrast non TN panel with good brightness and good black levels and decent color accuracy is what we look for.

If you want cutting edge tech, you can try the Dell xps 13. I know it is too small but this is probably the finest non Mac laptop that exists today with possibly the best display including macs. It uses the Sharp IGZO panel. A friend has it and it is drop dead gorgeous. Plus, Dell has really revamped its product line and the xps series has build quality rivaling or bettering macs. Aluminum chassis, carbon fibre, the works.

The XPS 15 doesn't have an igzo panel but still has one of the absolute best displays around. Some benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8983/dell-xps-13-review/5

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7838/dell-xps-15-haswell-edition-qhd-with-a-refined-design/3

I will add that if you want the best out of your display, you should get it color calibrated.

For what it is worth, until a few years ago, HP typically made the best quality displays on a laptop but you had to compromise on other things.