$3500 budget for digital source, suggestions?

santacore

Re: $3500 budget for digital source, suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Apr 2015, 06:12 pm »
Vega!!!! Zero regret on that purchase.

Pneumonic

« Reply #21 on: 1 Apr 2015, 06:16 pm »
I do not believe you have hit the point of diminishing returns at the budget JLM has set. There is a massive difference in performance between, for example, the Teac and the Auralic, which does scale with price. But it would be hard to live with the Teac after you've heard the Auralic.
Subjectively there may be a difference (who is to say someone might not prefer the Teac?) but, objectively ....

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #22 on: 2 Apr 2015, 05:09 am »
I was using a Mac Mini along with the Vega. I changed the Mac Mini to an Aries. Did the sound improve? Yes. Did the sound improve as much, when I replaced my previous DAC (a very tricked out Buffalo) to the Auralic Vega?

No. Absolutely not.

Under $10K, I would seriously look at the Vega. You can upgrade your MacBook later if need be. I know of nothing cheaper in cost than a Vega that is worlds better than it. Different? Maybe. Worlds better? Nope.

But remember, it's supposed to be FUN!

Best,
Anand.

+1 my sentiments exactly. Vega first, then an Aries next when you're ready to upgrade from your MacBook. Or some dealers may even be willing to do a package deal / discount with a Vega / Aries combo so you don't go too far above your budget... :wink:

Also agreed as previously stated to not overdue it with the USB cable length. Keep the USB cable under 3M and get a decent one - the sound quality difference is worth jt. Get an iPad or iPod as a remote control for the MacBook / iTunes or Jriver. The less you run the MacBook with the screen on the better it will sound as well.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #23 on: 2 Apr 2015, 05:21 pm »
From the professional reviews, the only issue I've found with the Auralic Vega is it's digital volume control that reportedly is pretty crummy at lower levels (where I'd expect to be most of the time), making it useless for desktop use (or to allow me to sell my pre-amp).

BTW, the stated budget (like any budget should be) is the targeted maximum.  Lower priced solutions that come close would be a plus!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 2 Apr 2015, 05:39 pm »
AURALiC Vega

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 2 Apr 2015, 05:43 pm »
JLM -
Grace Designs M 920 remains a viable option. It provides the latest Sabre Dac with all hi rez options, contains a highly regarded headphone amp, has balanced circuitry, 2 analog inputs (1 Bal, 1 unbal) and 4 digital inputs, replaces your preamp, has higher resale than anything else proposed. There is a remote available as an option. Additionally, the astute observer would recognize a very JRDG looking design. Michael Grace apprenticed under Jeff 20-odd years ago after he left the Vanderbilt University EE program. They remain friends and you can benefit from that friendship. The M-920 retails for $1895 at musician supply stores. Remote is an option at about $100 or $150 (don't remember).
This is pro audio at its best. Consider matching with Event Opal speakers unless they are too big.

Good luck, in any case. I read your posts eagerly because you do your homework so well.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 2 Apr 2015, 05:51 pm »
From the professional reviews, the only issue I've found with the Auralic Vega is it's digital volume control that reportedly is pretty crummy at lower levels (where I'd expect to be most of the time), making it useless for desktop use (or to allow me to sell my pre-amp).

BTW, the stated budget (like any budget should be) is the targeted maximum.  Lower priced solutions that come close would be a plus!

Unless a system has really poor gain matching, there should not be a problem with using a digital volume control.  I believe the Vega uses at least 32 bits for the volume control, that means you have 8 bits of volume reduction (-48 dB) before there is any loss of resolution with 24 bit files, and 16 bits of volume reduction (-96 dB!) before there is any loss of resolution with 16 bit files.
Additionally, as the Vega has over 120 dB of ultimate resolution, I highly doubt abyone could hear a slight loss of resolution at super low levels, as at these low levels, no one is going to be using complete (120 dB) dynamic range anyway-think about it a little, at low levels, are you still having 120 dB peaks-I do not think so.
When you use a high degree of attenuation with a digital volume control, where the resolution is lost is in the low level details, and at such low volumes, those details would be too low in level to hear anyway.
The exception of course would be if your amplifier is very high gain and your speakers very sensitive-but this is easily corrected by putting a simple resistor pad at the input of the amplifier to assure that one is not using more than 60 dB of attenuation in the Vega.

Of course, as I mentioned before, try it in your system before the purchase is finalized, as one should do when buying any DAC.  Without matching to your system, speculating on what will be best is just that. 

ebag4

« Reply #27 on: 2 Apr 2015, 06:07 pm »
Another vote for the Vega.  My system has never sounded better.  I liked it enough I have an Aries on the way.

RDavidson

« Reply #28 on: 2 Apr 2015, 07:17 pm »
barrows, it may seem as simple as adding a resistor at the amp input, but it indeed isn't. I've tried it, but still couldn't stay in the full resolution range of my DAC with soo much attenuation. Also, something important worth mentioning is impedance matching. This can affect sound quality A LOT. I don't want to derail the thread, as this is another can of worms. Just want to state that going source direct to amp is not always as easy it perhaps should be or seems, if one wants to get the best from their system.

*Scotty*

« Reply #29 on: 2 Apr 2015, 08:37 pm »
Assuming that the computer processor is 64bit, why wouldn't using the player's software to control the volume be a viable option to the 32bit volume control via the DAC.
Scotty

RDavidson

« Reply #30 on: 2 Apr 2015, 08:52 pm »
Yes, you're right. I don't believe using a computer as a source has the same volume control complications as using a streamer, such as the Aries etc.
With a computer as the source, and assuming DAC direct to amp is the goal, the other hurdle is still impedance matching......which can be done with a choice of buffers somewhat widely available (tube or solid state).

What I'm surprised isn't more common are DACs with low output impedance or maybe a variable output impedance (for use with preamps or direct to amps). I'm sure this is more complex than I know. Then again, wouldn't it be a matter of just having a switchable output buffer built in?

*Scotty*

« Reply #31 on: 2 Apr 2015, 11:02 pm »
From the Auralic Vega website:
Analog Outputs
1*Balanced XLR(output impedance 4.7ohm)
1*Single-ended RCA(output impedance 50ohm)

I suspect most DACs with a correctly designed output stage will have a low enough output impedance that there will not be a problem with an impedance mis-match, whether it will sound good driving a load directly without an intervening preamp or buffer is a more complex question with an answer that starts with, it depends ....
Scotty
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2015, 12:14 am by *Scotty* »

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #32 on: 3 Apr 2015, 01:16 am »
JLM,

If i was looking for a DAC with volume control, I would consider using Wyred4sound DAC 2. I have several systems and the DAC 2 works very well..

V....
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2015, 02:59 am by bladesmith »

RDavidson

« Reply #33 on: 3 Apr 2015, 03:05 am »
From the Auralic Vega website:
Analog Outputs
1*Balanced XLR(output impedance 4.7ohm)
1*Single-ended RCA(output impedance 50ohm)

I suspect most DACs with a correctly designed output stage will have a low enough output impedance that there will not be a problem with an impedance mis-match, whether it will sound good driving a load directly without an intervening preamp or buffer is a more complex question with an answer that starts with, it depends ....
Scotty

+1 That is definitely true. It depends.

RDavidson

« Reply #34 on: 3 Apr 2015, 03:12 am »
JLM,

If i was looking for a DAC with volume control, I would consider using Wyred4sound DAC 2. I have several systems and the DAC 2 works very well..

V....

I have a DAC2 and upgraded it to SE last summer. It is indeed a versatile DAC. However, in my experience, the sound was (is) better with a preamp. But note, I also had to attenuate too much (drop too many digital bits) to get the volume down to the levels I regularly listen at. I even tried using Harrison Labs -12db attenuator plugs at the amp. They helped, but not enough. Since then, I've used the DAC 2 with an STP SE, a couple of tube preamps, and now a Bent AVC-1.

*Scotty*

« Reply #35 on: 3 Apr 2015, 03:40 am »
Did you try attenuating the output in the player software via its volume control?
Scotty

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #36 on: 3 Apr 2015, 03:54 am »
I would give strong consideration to  Hugo Chord.  It has a very romantic, intoxicating liquid sound with good bass and detail.  It leans on the warmer side of neutral. 

I recently reviewed the Exogal Comet here on AC.  It has a very 3D sound, with a huge sound stage and depth.  It has great detail and resolution. 

Here is a pro review-

http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu

vonnie123

« Reply #37 on: 3 Apr 2015, 04:34 am »
JRiver Media Center 20 for MAC, JRiver Id player/renderer, JRemote app (for ipad), and Wyred4Sound DAC-2.  If you want to spend your full budget, Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse with femto clock is approx $1000 above the base DAC-2.

you can control music selection from the iPad or iMac and render music from the computer in a different part of the house or near your computer.  You can  also use the  JRiver Id as a player from its internal hard drive.  Id is Linux based.

DAC-2 $1500
JRiver Id with 2TB HDD $395
JRemote app $10
JRiver Media Center for MAC $50

RDavidson

« Reply #38 on: 3 Apr 2015, 04:38 am »
Did you try attenuating the output in the player software via its volume control?
Scotty

Sorry. Should've stated that I haven't used it with a computer as a source (yet). I just don't like the idea of a computer in my audio system, so I'm slow to even try it. I know others share my sentiment. Now, something like the Aries which is a purpose built machine to stream everything to an audio system, I may have to get on board with..........though it does nothing in terms of attenuation control (for those concerned with this subject).

Phil A

« Reply #39 on: 3 Apr 2015, 04:43 am »
I also heard the original Exasound (e20) at the 2013 Capital Audiofest.  Janszen used it in their room as a preamp DAC with their speakers and Bryston power pacs.  Brought a thumb drive with many things and spent quite a while in the room.  Based on what I heard, I'd think that for someone looking for a DAC/preamp that may be a consideration was well.  As far as the Benchmark goes, at the 2013 Capital Audiofest, Everything Audio Network had a stack of DACs (5 DACs with levels equalized including the Teac, Benchmark, Parasound, Hilo and Mytek).  The system included Legacy Audio monitors and a Rogue integrated amp.  I preferred the Teac to everything in that room.  The guy who sold me my Meitner bought the Benchmark (didn't have that much digital) and I told him and he agreed with my observation and sold the Benchmark after listening to the Teac.