Noob needs basic advice about streaming Spotify, etc

roymail

• Roy in TX
I'm not new to audio, but I've spun redbook for more years than I can count.  However, not long ago I got my first taste of streaming HD audio when a friend brought over a laptop and inline DAC to demo Spotify using my 5 gb connection.  I was surprised at the quality and sheer quantity of what I heard.  Good quality sound and tons of music to choose from.  What's not to like?   So I've come here for some advice.  I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm at the wrong place.

I already have a nice laptop, but it's setup as a semi permanent pc for the wife and me to use when needed (which is most of the time).  So my question is this, should I invest in another laptop to stream Spotify or what other options are there?  Is there a better solution(s)?  Will you guys throw out some suggestions for how this can be done in the most simple and cost effective way?  Your help will really be appreciated.

I'm not interested in a music server right now or anything that involves ripping.  Maybe later, not sure  :scratch:

I'll stop now and see where this goes.  Let me know if posting this somewhere else would be more helpful.  Thanks, guys!

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Noob needs basic advice about streaming Spotify, etc
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2015, 10:28 pm »
If you like Spotify, you'd like Tidal even more.  Spotify best of my knowledge tops out at 320kbps, which is MP3 quality and compressed.  Tidal is 1400kbps, which is CD quality.  Of course Tidal is $20 a month & more expensive than Spotify premium. 

As for streaming, there are many many ways to do this.  For simplicity and cost effectiveness, I'd get either a Sonos Connect @ $350 (or less used) or Bluesound Node ($450), which supports Spotify, Tidal, and many many more streaming services. Connect the digital out to your DAC.  I'm assuming you have a DAC.......if not the Bluesound might be the better investment as it probably has a somewhat better sounding internal DAC / analog output stage.

Operate it using a tablet or smartphone with their excellent and easy to use app.  Anyone of your family members will also have access to it using their tablet / smartphones as a controller as well.

The Sonos Connect / Bluesound Node can also connect to your iTunes library on one of your network connected PC's or music files stored on any network connected PC (or NAS).  So you can dip your toes into music server world as well. But with either Spotify or Tidal you may find you have access to all the music you need / want without having to access your own collection.

There are higher quality streaming devices from Auralic, Aurrender, Lumin and others, but they all are $1K or more.  So assuming your budget is less than that, I'd go for the Sonos or Bluesound devices.

Hope that helps!

geowak

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2015, 12:00 am »
I'm curious about Tidal. Does anyone know of OTHER streaming devices (affordable) that will stream hi-res files?
I am using a Pure I-20 dock with an Iphone now. But Spotify is 320bps, and as pointed out, not hi-res.

jlafrenz

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2015, 01:13 am »
I'm curious about Tidal. Does anyone know of OTHER streaming devices (affordable) that will stream hi-res files?
I am using a Pure I-20 dock with an Iphone now. But Spotify is 320bps, and as pointed out, not hi-res.

Deezer Elite ranges from $9.99 to $19.99 a month depending on the commitment you make (monthly vs. annual) and streams CD quality.

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2015, 01:24 am »
I listen to music on my hifi primarily through Spotify and Tidal. Spotify for its extensive catalog, and Tidal for its superior sound quality. I can recommend using an Apple TV for two reasons, with one caveat.

Reasons:

1. Cost is low ($99 I think), and it streams Airplay in 16/44 (upsampled to 24 bit at the Apple TV, I believe), which is good enough to get the max resolution from Tidal. Stream from a Mac or iDevice.

2. Wireless convenience (Airplay over your existing wifi network).

Caveat:

If you live in a place where your wifi network is super busy (a lot of users, for example), it can have dropouts depending on traffic(my current situation. I switch to Toslink out of my Macbook when it happens). When I lived alone, however, it was rock solid.

I believe the Sonos and Bluesound use their own dedicated networks for wireless streaming, which is a potentially more stable proposition. I can't tell you how aggravating it is to have dropouts when you're settling in for a session. But then, there's the cost.

roymail

• Roy in TX
Re: Noob needs some advice about streaming Spotify, etc
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2015, 01:46 am »
Wow, that's some good information and advice so far.  Hope there's more to come.  Looks like I've got some reading and more learning to do.  Thanks to you guys!  :D

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2015, 02:05 am »
Deezer Elite ranges from $9.99 to $19.99 a month depending on the commitment you make (monthly vs. annual) and streams CD quality.

Sadly still exclusive to Sonos at the moment in the US. For those outside the US there Qobuz as well and there may be others.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #7 on: 2 Apr 2015, 02:01 am »
Have a question about the Airport Express.  I have read two different answers to this question, so I hope someone who has one will comment and help me out.

Will the Airport Express connect to a network that is not Apple like mine which uses a Netgear router?  I read that it won't work as a network "extender" but otherwise should connect OK.

I'd like to use an Airport Express to stream Spotify to my receiver.  Thanks for any help and advice:)

srb

« Reply #8 on: 2 Apr 2015, 03:38 am »
The Airport Express will work fine with most non-Apple routers like the Netgear.  Configure the Airport Express to (a) Join your existing wireless network and (b) Enable AirPlay/AirTunes.

If you have a mid-2011 or later Mac with OS X Mountain Lion you can directly stream to the Airport Express from the Spotify desktop client or the Spotify web player.  For Windows (or earlier Macs) you would also need the third party Airfoil software.

Steve

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2015, 12:06 pm »
Steve, thanks for answering my question and the additional info about setup.  That's very helpful and much appreciated!