How do I set up DSD playback?

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
How do I set up DSD playback?
« on: 9 May 2012, 11:44 pm »
How do I set up DSD playback?  I have some DSD files extracted from my SACDs and I'm seriously considering getting the Mytek DSD DAC.  I'm not used to being in the dark on audio related subjects, but I am on this one.  So.....

Is USB 2.0 the preferred connection?

Will my 2 month old Windows 7 laptop with 8GB RAM work?

Will a 4 year old Windows Vista laptop with 2GB RAM work just as well?

Does my computer need to be set next to the DAC?

What playback software should I consider?

Any special driver interfaces between playback software and Mytek DAC?

Can I use a Kindle Fire as a control interface?

Will a MAC/Pure Music approach be more stable and easier to set up/control?

What else do I need to consider?

Your help is much appreciated.  Thanks.

Russ

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: How do I set up DSD playback?
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2012, 12:03 am »
Russ, Did I send you my guide?  A lot of that is in there but:
for Mytek DSD playback either USB or firewire works.  It's more stable on the MAC than on Windows unless you are using ASIO.  the Mac just requires the Mytek drivers, period.  Both pure Music and Audirvana Plus playback native DSD files (DSF or DIFF).  They act slightly different:
*  On Pure Music, you load the files into PM via the PM "add DSD files" window.  PM then makes proxy files that iTunes can see which point to your actual DSD files (since itunes can;'t read DSD).  That way you can access them via Apple Remote app, just like you were suing iTunes.
*  in Audirvana Plus (aka A+) you can do same, or if using the A+ desktop GUI simply add the native files to a playlist.

In both cases you need to specify the Mytek in the DAC setup screens (just like any other DAC).

In Windows (not my strong suit for DSD playback, sorry) you can use Foobar, JRiver or HQPlayer to playback DSD files.  And likley by the time you get your mytek the Windows USB driver will be fixed to accommodate DSD.

In all these examples I am talking about NATIVE DSD playback (not converting to PCM, that is).

jamesg11

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2012, 05:47 am »
& the other consideration, with Audirvana, is whether or not to go with iso playback - which is what I've been doing since my Mytek arrived.  I know Ted prefers dsd files.  Anyone done a comparison?

wisnon

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2012, 12:40 pm »
Since Ted has tried every permutation, I figure that his opinion carries a lot of weight!

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2012, 01:42 pm »
Since Ted has tried every permutation, I figure that his opinion carries a lot of weight!

Norman, I've been working out, so less weight.  :)   Thanks.

I will try A+ again with the ISO's but since I extract everything anyway, it's kinda moot with me.  I will report back on the sonic differences.  However, as of last night I now have native DSD playback via Linux!!  My Auraliti PK90USB (with the wonderful SOtM USB card) now has the latest MPD update and plays DSF and DIFF files beautifully.  I may not return to the MAC as a long-term server, dunno yet.   :scratch:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2012, 04:59 pm »
Now Linux?  This is a rapidly evolving landscape!

Ted, you did send me your guide a few days ago.  I read it in detail last night and I have to say THANK YOU for putting together such a well-written, easy to use package for getting into DSD. 

I was able to create DFF, PCM, and FLAC files from ISO files.  I set up Foobar to play the DFF files (at my PC) just to see if it would work.  It does.  I use a SB Touch with my main rig and was able to play back and compare PCM and FLAC files sourced from DFF at different sample rates.  I was surprised that I heard a noticeable improvement from 24/88 to 24/176.  Any hope of a SB Touch plug in that will convert and stream DFF to FLAC on the fly?

If/when I get the Mytek DAC ($1700 is a major audio purchase for me, gotta save up), I'll reassess the computer hardware/software landscape and move forward.

Thanks again for your help.

Russ

firedog

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2012, 02:22 pm »
New Sonore DSD DAC - will work with Linux

http://sonore.us/index2.html

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2012, 02:33 pm »
New Sonore DSD DAC - will work with Linux

http://sonore.us/index2.html

Jesus is sending me one asap.  He and I have been chatting about this.  Patrick Kan and the EXD folks know what they are doing (as does Jesus and gang).  Very nice option, I hope, for $1100.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2012, 04:45 pm »
New Benchmark DAC available Oct. 19 - http://www.everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2012, 04:51 pm »
New Benchmark DAC available Oct. 19 - http://www.everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.com/

I'm loving the onset of new DSD-capable DACs at $2k or under.   :thumb:  The eXD DAC was wonderful (and $1200) albeit USB only.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2012, 05:06 pm »
Yes - very good news.  I'll eventually end up with one probably within several months once I have more stuff digitized.  John Gatski of EverythingAudio.net usually shares a room with Benchmark at the Capital Audiofest and Benchmark usually gives away a basic DAC-1 with the option of adding money to get one of the higher models.  Who knows, they may even do a show special making it even more reasonable.

arthurs

« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2012, 05:17 pm »
I've inadvertantly changed something in Pure Music so my DAC isn't seeing DSD file playback.  PM shows it playing, just no response from DAC....any thoughts on simplest things to check that may have changed to cause this?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2012, 05:24 pm »
I've inadvertantly changed something in Pure Music so my DAC isn't seeing DSD file playback.  PM shows it playing, just no response from DAC....any thoughts on simplest things to check that may have changed to cause this?

What DAC, Art?  Lots of times Mac will register a DAC, and if it loses connection with it the register no longer works.  The Mac would need to be rebooted, making sure the DAC is on.