How to: Linear PSU 20v to 12v

viggen

How to: Linear PSU 20v to 12v
« on: 17 May 2021, 05:07 am »
So, I bought a 20v LPSU a few years ago to replace an adapter for a Lenovo PC I was using as audio server.  It looks like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/121996730768?ul_noapp=true

Now, I want to repurpose the LPSU for something else.  Most my audio equipment are running 12v.  So, how do I convert the voltage on the 20v LPSU without either killing myself or make the LPSU inferior?

TIA

Ed

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: How to: Linear PSU 20v to 12v
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2021, 12:50 pm »
That's like the joke about 'asking how much a boat costs?'
If you have to ask, you can't do it.
Actually it's more:
You don't know what you don't know.
Unless you can find someone that has modified  that very unit, I'd find a different path.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2021, 03:22 pm by Speedskater »

viggen

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2021, 03:26 pm »
Just an attempt to reduce landfill.  I don't think anyone wants to buy a 20v. 

genjamon

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2021, 04:11 pm »
These products can be ordered with either AC or DC inputs, and up to 20V of input.  https://www.mpaudio.net/hpuln-power-supplies

Adjustable voltage output.  Plus they probably have much higher quality regulation than your stock cheap LPS.  You could use these two ways:

1) You could take the output from your existing 20V board into one of these designed to accept DC input.

2) You could remove your existing 20V output board and replaced with one of the MPAudio boards that accepts AC - so you'd repurpose the case and transformer, but not the power supply board of your current unit.

viggen

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2021, 04:29 pm »
genjamon.

Looking at the link you provided, is the correct request is to replace the 20v rail with a 12v rail?  If so, perhaps I could buy the correct one off the same ebay seller and have someone local do the work.

viggen

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2021, 04:51 pm »
Or, is the voltage specific to the core/transformer?

This seems to be the direct replacement for the one in my lpsu.  If it is, then it might not be economical.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114130675710?hash=item1a92b7e7fe:g:RMoAAOSwhY9cNyQH

genjamon

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2021, 05:04 pm »
You didn't specify any cost constraints.  Yes, if you're considering my scenario 2 and working from a $1XX cheap Chinese LPS and then looking at substituting in one of the MPAudio boards, you're definitely more than doubling the cost of the unit by going with MPAudio.  But you're going to have a vastly lower noise LPS than the original. 

It is key to match the MPAudio board you order with the transformer in your unit.  Do you have the specs for your exact transformer?  You provided an ebay link to a current transformer, but have you opened up your unit - could you take a pic or report the actual specs? 

I'm also not sure if the transformers in those cheap LPS's are truly capable of supplying their stated specs - someone with a lot more familiarity with such issues may be able to comment. 

But yeah, either of my proposed MPAudio approaches is a relatively extravagant response to your question - only worth exploring if you want to shell out a couple hundred $$ on this project.

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2021, 05:29 pm »
Can you contact the manufacturer to see if they will convert your current unit to a 12V unit?

I use a Farad Super 3 to power the motor on my turntable and if I wanted it to do a different Voltage / Amps, I can send it back for conversion.
https://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/farad-super3-linear-power-supply

viggen

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2021, 07:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply guys.  Looks like I have a boat anchor.

I don't know who the manufacturer is.  I did try to contact the ebay seller but didn't get a reply.