Suggestions and recommendations?????

56tx17

« on: 16 Jan 2006, 12:28 am »
I am in the market for a pair of small speakers with a sub to use with my vintage NAD 7155, (55WPC) receiver.

They are to be used strictly for 2 channel sound with a Cabridge Audio CD player and B&O turntable.

The listening room is app. 11'X9'6" wiht hardwood floors. distance from my favorite chair to the speakers is less than six feet.

Finally, are ACL speakers made in WI? It seems few speakers of this type are made in the USA.

Please feel free to e-mail me with any suggestions, opinions, etc..

Emaerald instead of Sapphire or vice versa?

'

Steve Mello

Lowell, Massachusetts

bichonboys@comcast.net

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2006, 01:04 am »
56tx17,

You would be hard pressed to find a better speaker for this size room. The ACI Sapphire XL's will not only make wonderful music but they also have the ability to dissapear even though it's a small room and yet produce a very large soundstage that exceeds the boundaries of the room.

I had them set up in a room the size your describing, maybe a little smaller and it was like the room had no walls. Seating position was no more than 6' from the speakers, 4 foot between the speakers and around 2 feet out from the side and back walls. Highly recommended!

The speakers are made in Wisconsin and it would be worth your effort to check them out.

Joe

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2006, 02:40 pm »
Steve:

The Emeralds are fine speakers, but if it was my money, I'd go for a pair of Sapphire XLs rather than Emeralds and Force. You can always add a Force later, but you certainly won't need it, especially in your size of room. The Xls are simply amazing as far as I'm concerned, yes I'm biased . . . but just read the reviews and owner comments as well.  
I wish you could have heard the XLs and all the comments about them at CES, it was amazing  :D

Eric

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2006, 02:06 pm »
I would agree. Pop more for the sapphires and add a sub later if needed

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jan 2006, 02:31 pm »
I had the good fortune to have pair of Sapphires to evaluated in my sound lab for a couple of weeks at Christmas on our Transcendence and Ultra electronics.

I would recommend them without reservation for your application.

You better have good electronics ahead of them, if not, the Sapphires will tell you to start amp and preamp shopping again.  :)

Frank Van Alstine

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2006, 02:46 pm »
Wow Mike, Frank has stated it here on AC 2 times now how much he likes your Sapphires. That is in my opinion, extremely high praise for ACI. Words like "without reservation".  It don't get any better than that!
It was also nice to see Franks thoughts on "Blue Jeans Cable" a while back. I have purchased my Beldon speaker wire from them a about a year ago. It makes me feel good all over!  :D

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jan 2006, 02:50 pm »
The post above from "guest" was me. I do not know how I entered in as "Guest" Oh well!

Any AC members in Minneapolis?