Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread

ctviggen

Re: Everything Louder Than Everything Else!!!! The Metal Thread
« Reply #140 on: 21 Jan 2012, 07:45 pm »
Is Rammstein (or Emigrate) "metal"?  It's the only thing I can listen to these days that's remotely related to metal. In my younger days, I loved metal and saw tons of bands (Dio, Ozzy, Queensryche, you name it). Then I discovered Stevie Ray Vaughn and perhaps I got older.  Now, I have a token Ozzy CD, and that's about it. 

mca

« Reply #141 on: 21 Jan 2012, 08:07 pm »
These may not be as "metal" as some of the others listed, but they are still fun to pull out and crank once in a while!

This one never leaves the disk changer in my car, one of my all time favorites.

mca

« Reply #142 on: 21 Jan 2012, 08:10 pm »
This is a must watch DVD if you are a Motorhead fan!

nathanm

« Reply #143 on: 26 Jan 2012, 03:47 pm »
Ah-ha! It looks like Prong was responsible for digging out that guy's eyeball on the Scorpions album cover.

It might have taken me a decade, but I finally came around to Rammstein myself, like a week ago.  (Thanks, YouTube!)  Back in the day I was strongly against anything with synths and\or dance\electronic\industrial sounding and then of course I figured why listen to anything in a language you can't understand [insert joke about general unintelligibility of singers here] but I forgot all that crap.  I think it's so cool that the same lineup has existed for the entire run.  (Thanks, Wikipedia!)

I liked the Probot vinyl packaging and the idea of it more than the actual music.  I think I listened to it once and that was it.

Prong made a huge impact on me in the Headbanger's Ball days, when a young lad had to search the ends of the internet-less earth for a drop of musical mercury.  I remember buying the cassette, then my family went to my aunt and uncle's for some event, and I just had to go into the bathroom and unwrap it.  Those were the days when some albums SMELLED better than others.  (Thanks, offset printing industry!)  Okay, that sounded weird.  But the thing was that I had to hide my love for metal from my mom who was against it.  She stole my Obituary cassette and I still resent it.

Rclark

« Reply #144 on: 2 Feb 2012, 04:58 am »
I have yet to get into this thread because I have a lot to say and it will take a lot of work in and out of photobucket.

But anyway, I see that Metallica has apologized for the Lou Reed thing with.. Beyond Magnetic, I saw it in the store tonight and grabbed it in a "hell yeah" moment.

Also picked up the new Lamb of God which I can't wait to get into. They are probably the most consistently good band out. You can play any of their albums, all killer, no filler.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #145 on: 6 Feb 2012, 04:51 am »
Testament hasn't been mentioned yet?  I always thought they should have been called 'The Big 5' - Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer and Testament.

I saw Testament open up for Slayer back in '91 (my first concert). I liked Testament before the concert, but after seeing them, I ran out and bought all their tapes.  Just a kick-ass band that I think hot over-shadowed by the big 4 IMO.

Talk about loud...
Testament's guitar player was sound-checking while we were waiting outside for the doors to open.  The arena they played in had huge glass windows that were rattling, and you could hear every note as clear as day. Not to mention that he played the hell out of the guitar during his sound-check.  Everyone outside was amazed.

Delta Wave

« Reply #146 on: 7 Feb 2012, 02:39 am »
Testament hasn't been mentioned yet?  I always thought they should have been called 'The Big 5' - Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer and Testament.

I saw Testament open up for Slayer back in '91 (my first concert). I liked Testament before the concert, but after seeing them, I ran out and bought all their tapes.  Just a kick-ass band that I think hot over-shadowed by the big 4 IMO.

Talk about loud...
Testament's guitar player was sound-checking while we were waiting outside for the doors to open.  The arena they played in had huge glass windows that were rattling, and you could hear every note as clear as day. Not to mention that he played the hell out of the guitar during his sound-check.  Everyone outside was amazed.

Good choice, I always liked them. I think when metal went the route of hair, makeup and MTV, I got into punk pretty heavy. There was however, a lot of good stuff out around that time, Kreator, Voivod, Death Angel, Death... etc.
Unfortunately now, I think Metallica is more compared to Nickleback, and other sheep radio crap like that. They have turned their back completely on their original fans... the people that got them where they are today through pirated tapes and word of mouth.

Metallica are the biggest sellouts in Rock and Roll history IMO thus far.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #147 on: 7 Feb 2012, 04:30 am »
Do you realize they were called sellouts when they released Ride the Lightning?   I saw a YouTube video where Cliff Burton was commenting on them being called sellouts.  It was pretty funny IMO.

Metallica didn't sell out IMO, they grew up/evolved.  I've been a fan since I first heard them around Master of Puppets.  I don't feel alienated, though I do wish they'd go back to performing pissed off instead of happy these days.  I like their thrash stuff better than the newer stuff, but don't want to hear them try to replicate Master or Ride over and over again.  I also think it would be pretty comical/sadly comical to hear guys nearing 50 singing about the same stuff they sang about in their 20s, but that's just me.  I think St Anger was one of the worst albums ever, and Load and ReLoad should have been one album instead of two.  Cut out the crap from both, and I think you have one solid album of about 12 songs or so.  Different from what they previously did, but solid IMO.

This is such a long on-going debate between Metallica fans and Metallica bashers.  No point in arguing it, as we're not going to settle it.  Not that I think you were looking for an arguement.

Delta Wave

« Reply #148 on: 7 Feb 2012, 09:33 am »
Do you realize they were called sellouts when they released Ride the Lightning?   I saw a YouTube video where Cliff Burton was commenting on them being called sellouts.  It was pretty funny IMO.

Metallica didn't sell out IMO, they grew up/evolved.  I've been a fan since I first heard them around Master of Puppets.  I don't feel alienated, though I do wish they'd go back to performing pissed off instead of happy these days.  I like their thrash stuff better than the newer stuff, but don't want to hear them try to replicate Master or Ride over and over again.  I also think it would be pretty comical/sadly comical to hear guys nearing 50 singing about the same stuff they sang about in their 20s, but that's just me.  I think St Anger was one of the worst albums ever, and Load and ReLoad should have been one album instead of two.  Cut out the crap from both, and I think you have one solid album of about 12 songs or so.  Different from what they previously did, but solid IMO.

This is such a long on-going debate between Metallica fans and Metallica bashers.  No point in arguing it, as we're not going to settle it.  Not that I think you were looking for an arguement.

Oh, I'm not really bashing them music wise (which has been awful of late), I just detest them as human beings... lol.

nathanm

« Reply #149 on: 7 Feb 2012, 04:09 pm »
I don't care about a stylistic change, but in my view Metallica's songwriting went down the tubes and James' singing just got dead awful.  There's a reason their older tunes can be covered by those cello guys, or the orchestra thing - because they're beautiful compositions that weave and flow.  It just works.  Now they play these awful, nothing, crap tunes.  I dunno what they are, but it ain't working. 

I don't begrudge them their success, I just don't care enough about the songs to want to buy the dang record.  That's life though, you can only write so many classics and then you're out of gas.  It can happen to anyone.  Also, a tidal wave of competing awesome metal bands also dilutes their status.  When I was in high school Metallica was essentially the figurehead of what metal WAS, when they came out with something new that was like a statement of what was possible in thrash.  That view is completely gone now.  No big whoop, though.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #150 on: 9 Feb 2012, 01:14 am »
I agree with most of what you guys said.  It's funny... One was on the radio the other day and all I could think was "Why can't these guys write songs like this anymore?"  It wasn't that I want them write another One or that it's a favorite of mine, it was that they haven't written anything epic, so to speak, since at least the black album.

I don't detest the entire band.  I think all of them except Lars would be cool to hang out with for a few hours, in different ways.

I used to despise Load and ReLoad.  The more I listen to them (not that often), the more some of the songs grow on me.  Fixxxer in particular is a bad-ass song IMO.

I think Death Magnetic could have been close to epic if they had someone other than Rick Ruben.  The songs individually are all over the place.  They start one way, go another direction, then change again.  They're too long, and I think they're as long as they are because they think that's what makes it a Metallica song.

Some of their best songs clock in over 7 minutes, but they never drag.  The last few albums, the songs just drag on and on.  If they shortened the songs and stayed with a main riff rather than changing it a few times within a single song, I'm sure a lot of people would have felt differently about the album.

There's just no excuse for St Anger though.  It's my favorite coaster.

JoshK

« Reply #151 on: 9 Feb 2012, 03:06 am »
I don't care about a stylistic change, but in my view Metallica's songwriting went down the tubes and James' singing just got dead awful.  There's a reason their older tunes can be covered by those cello guys, or the orchestra thing - because they're beautiful compositions that weave and flow.  It just works.  Now they play these awful, nothing, crap tunes.  I dunno what they are, but it ain't working. 

I don't begrudge them their success, I just don't care enough about the songs to want to buy the dang record.  That's life though, you can only write so many classics and then you're out of gas.  It can happen to anyone.  Also, a tidal wave of competing awesome metal bands also dilutes their status.  When I was in high school Metallica was essentially the figurehead of what metal WAS, when they came out with something new that was like a statement of what was possible in thrash.  That view is completely gone now.  No big whoop, though.

echo.....echo.....echo....

milford3

« Reply #152 on: 9 Feb 2012, 03:51 am »

JoshK

Prog Rock/metal
« Reply #153 on: 17 Feb 2012, 03:08 pm »
This topic has been covered before in some detail, however, I wanted to make a new one pertaining to my requests.

I have really been getting into Opeth lately.  I had always written off most of their catalogue because of the growly vocals, but their music just kept drawing me in.  Fortunately the growls come and go and seem to fit their more intense passages. 

I've also been listening to Porcupine Tree and Katatonia. In all cases I am listening to most of their catalogue. 

What I like about the above three is that while they are progressive, they are also very musical.  It is not a bunch of musicians doing a circle jerk, which a lot of "prog rock/metal" bands sound like to me.

Was curious if you guys know any other "good" prog bands?

gitarretyp

Re: Prog Rock/metal
« Reply #154 on: 17 Feb 2012, 04:12 pm »
You might check-out: Tool, A Perfect Circle, Trivium, The Ocean, Mastodon, Coheed and Cambria, Dragonforce, and Meshuggah.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #155 on: 17 Feb 2012, 04:23 pm »
Have you checked out Amorphis?  They're Katatonia-ish with a bit of Pink Floyd thrown in.

Borknagar might suit you.

I'm sure you already know of Dream Theater.

Stratovarius (is that how you spell it?) is virtuostic, over-the-top prog metal.  Not my thing but you might like it.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #156 on: 17 Feb 2012, 06:10 pm »
This topic has been covered before in some detail, however, I wanted to make a new one pertaining to my requests.

I have really been getting into Opeth lately.  I had always written off most of their catalogue because of the growly vocals, but their music just kept drawing me in.  Fortunately the growls come and go and seem to fit their more intense passages. 

I've also been listening to Porcupine Tree and Katatonia. In all cases I am listening to most of their catalogue. 

What I like about the above three is that while they are progressive, they are also very musical.  It is not a bunch of musicians doing a circle jerk, which a lot of "prog rock/metal" bands sound like to me.

Was curious if you guys know any other "good" prog bands?

I could never warm up to the "cookie monster" vocal stylings of Opeth.  8)

I'm guessing you've tried some older prog rock, i.e. Triumvirat, Focus, Aphrodite's Child, Starcastle?  :dunno:

nathanm

« Reply #157 on: 17 Feb 2012, 06:15 pm »
I'm a big fan of Katatonia's "Discouraged Ones" album which is more like a goth\metal type of thing with the downer, moany style vocals.  I haven't explored much of their other stuff, though.  I think I got the CD free back when I was doing my zine.  I'm not entirely clear on what "Prog" means exactly, there's quite a variety amongst the bands mentioned thus far. 

Personally I tend to go for Regressive Metal.  It sounds really bad, but it does allow you to time travel.

milford3

« Reply #158 on: 17 Feb 2012, 07:20 pm »
May I add Edenbridge to this list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1dJDzB2OFU

Rclark

« Reply #159 on: 17 Feb 2012, 07:43 pm »
Dilinger Escape Plan, The Ocean, Mastodon, The Mars Volta, Isis