New Lampizator Atlantic DAC

Wig

Re: New Lampizator Atlantic DAC
« Reply #60 on: 30 Sep 2016, 01:29 pm »
Guys,

How much better is the Atlantic in comparison to the Amber which was on par with the L4? Still spinning discs...

Berto

« Reply #61 on: 30 Sep 2016, 02:50 pm »
Guys,

How much better is the Atlantic in comparison to the Amber which was on par with the L4? Still spinning discs...

I have a Amber II and will be getting an Atlantic in about a week. I can certainly let you know.

bavmike

« Reply #62 on: 1 Oct 2016, 10:00 pm »
Superclock to me is a no-brainer.

It's seems to be universally accepted that lower jitter clocks for DAC's result in better sound. The go to figure we look at to gauge jitter when it comes to audio applications is 10hz or lower close in phase noise. You mention that the usb is "Superclocked". So is the "super" in "superclocked"representing ultra low 10hz phase noise?

papermill

« Reply #63 on: 3 Oct 2016, 08:26 pm »
Hello,
Still anxiously awaiting the Atlantic...
However, a question.
I've been using the Up-Tone Regen with the Esoteric K-03.
Any thoughts regarding it's use with the Lampizator??
Thanks in advance.
Dave

wisnon

« Reply #64 on: 12 Oct 2016, 10:12 am »
Hello,
Still anxiously awaiting the Atlantic...
However, a question.
I've been using the Up-Tone Regen with the Esoteric K-03.
Any thoughts regarding it's use with the Lampizator??
Thanks in advance.
Dave

Did you recieve it yet? I suspect that with the superclocks, you wont need the Regen. Try with and without and let us know.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2016, 09:04 am by wisnon »

papermill

« Reply #65 on: 12 Oct 2016, 09:37 pm »
Hi Winson,
Yes.
 I received the Atlantic last Friday and have been running it constantly. It has settled in nicely. Since I'm not very good at audiophile descriptions I'll liken it to light coming in from an open window - natural, balanced. Compared to light through a glass window - distorted, with artificial intensity. I've always wondered if digital ever could be more than a letdown from analog... it's telling that I haven't played LPs since the Atlantic arrived!
As far as the Regen, I wanted to keep it in place, just to eliminate another signal change to compare the Esoteric and the Lampizator. In the coming days I'll pull it out to determine what I prefer and will report back.
Thanks,
Dave

wisnon

« Reply #66 on: 13 Oct 2016, 09:05 am »
Thanx Dave!

wisnon

« Reply #67 on: 2 Nov 2016, 05:10 pm »

crooner

« Reply #68 on: 2 Nov 2016, 06:47 pm »
Reading the review right now. Glad they are doing the standard Atlantic, which is the one I have.
Nice to look at the internal construction. I have resisted opening mine due to warranty concerns.
Looks very well built which is great to know since build quality is of great importance to me.

Interesting take from this review on the merits of PCM/DSD up sampling versus straight bit perfect signal fed into the DAC.
Since this DAC went through all the trouble of incorporating a discrete R2R circuit into it, one would think a PCM signal would sound best going through it. DSD could be up sampled but I doubt if there are real benefits to this at the expense of much higher CPU requirements.

Up sampling to DSD made sense with Delta Sigma DACs where PCM usually gets converted to a 1 bit signal. Doing the conversion at the computer would theoretically improve the sound.
Up sampling PCM to DXD I guess enables the use of FIR filters and the like, and so people like the coloration they impart to the sound. I guess to each his own...

Also if one were to do Up sampling of PCM to DSD, then opting for a DSD only DAC would make more sense., ditching the R2R altogether.

I actually enjoy the sound of the R2R array on the Atlantic. I think PCM sounds heavenly through it. And I don't have to worry about a Core I7 processor needed to up sample with no glitches....

« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2016, 01:39 pm by crooner »

leftside

« Reply #69 on: 20 Dec 2016, 10:45 pm »
No.  Tube rolling isn't something we want to bring to the Atlantic at this time.  A part of its allure is it voiced the way Lukasz desires from day one and there is no need to research or hunt for tubes in the pursuit of upgrading.   

It is the type of tube dac that will not intimidate those who would typically go for solid state and will reward them greatly for stepping outside of their comfort zone.
Perfect :)

leftside

« Reply #70 on: 30 Dec 2016, 09:11 pm »
Who would be the best person to contact about purchasing one of these amps in North America? I'm in Canada.

Gopher

« Reply #71 on: 30 Dec 2016, 09:31 pm »
Leftside,

We are the North American distributors for LampizatOr so I'd be happy to discuss purchasing an Atlantic with you.  Sending a PM now.

Fred

leftside

« Reply #72 on: 3 Jan 2017, 07:54 pm »
Well, I was going to wait for the Spring, but decided to purchase an Atlantic DAC from Fred today :) This is by far the most I've spent on a piece of audio equipment and triples the price of my previous DAC (a used McIntosh D100). 

leftside

« Reply #73 on: 3 Jan 2017, 07:57 pm »
Nice to look at the internal construction. I have resisted opening mine due to warranty concerns.
Looks very well built which is great to know since build quality is of great importance to me.

Since this DAC went through all the trouble of incorporating a discrete R2R circuit into it, one would think a PCM signal would sound best going through it. DSD could be up sampled but I doubt if there are real benefits to this at the expense of much higher CPU requirements.

Also if one were to do Up sampling of PCM to DSD, then opting for a DSD only DAC would make more sense., ditching the R2R altogether.
Agreed on all points. I'll be playing PCM and DSD files.

mav52

« Reply #74 on: 3 Jan 2017, 09:14 pm »
Hey Gopher, the Atlantic has been out for a little bit and now all of a sudden I see a Golden Atlantic,  what's the price on this compared to the "Atlantic".   https://www.facebook.com/FikusLampi/posts/1898064353758827

leftside

« Reply #75 on: 3 Jan 2017, 10:16 pm »
It's a lot more! I'll let Gopher tell you the exact price. I went with the regular Atlantic with a few additions/upgrades.

rpf

« Reply #76 on: 3 Jan 2017, 10:17 pm »
Hey Gopher, the Atlantic has been out for a little bit and now all of a sudden I see a Golden Atlantic,  what's the price on this compared to the "Atlantic".   https://www.facebook.com/FikusLampi/posts/1898064353758827

:drool:   :drool:   :drool:

Fikus should try the Daedalus Isolation Devices: better than roller blocks.

firedog

« Reply #77 on: 4 Jan 2017, 07:30 am »
Gold Atlantic isn't on the Lampizator web site yet; so no price. I assume it will be soon.

Gopher

« Reply #78 on: 4 Jan 2017, 03:29 pm »
The pricing on the Golden Atlantic is still tentative at this time, but as soon as it is finalized I will be posting it (and finally getting around to updating our North American website, lol!)

Lou is a great guy and the DiDs are indeed dandy.   We actually showed with the Daedalus DiDs at AXPONA last year and had great feedback on our room.