What equipment are you currently working on?

ACHiPo

Re: What equipment are you currently working on?
« Reply #220 on: 13 May 2016, 09:54 pm »
It may be premature, but I just pulled the trigger on a donor Lenco L75 that will be transformed into (hopefully) an amazing second turntable.

who?me?

« Reply #221 on: 24 Apr 2019, 05:52 pm »
Trying to get this Triplett tube tester up and running properly.

The 3444 is passing the Line Test,  not passing the Gm test.

I need some serious help with this thing. Im replacing the caps right now ,but after that ???????  :roll:

audioengr

« Reply #222 on: 24 Apr 2019, 06:10 pm »
Trying to get this Triplett tube tester up and running properly.

The 3444 is passing the Line Test,  not passing the Gm test.

I need some serious help with this thing. Im replacing the caps right now ,but after that ???????  :roll:

I have one of these and it works perfectly.  It was refurbished and calibrated by a guy in Calif., Christopher Merren of Merren Audio.  He's a EE. 310-426-8726

He replace all of the electrolytic caps, the selenium rectifier with a silicon diode bridge rectifier, trim-pots in the calibration locations, replaced out of tolerance resistors, cleaned the switch contacts etc..

If you don't have the owners manual and the schematic, I can send you a copy.

Steve N.

who?me?

« Reply #223 on: 25 Apr 2019, 12:57 am »
Thanks Steve,
I did print out the manual and schematic and calibration testing (tho that one is hard to read)

I saw the Merren website. He says outright that he is actually not big on the 3444's, that the are just OK.
Needless to say, he hasn't returned my email, inquiring about restoration. An audio amateur tinkerer friend of mine seems to think that the 3444 may be running ok with just the cap replacement.
Apparently, he has had this kind of luck!

Today, I am trying to order the replacement caps. I've found perfect spec replacements for all of them except the biggest on  - a 50uF/350VDC cap. It is about the size of the M80s we used to get from the Indian Reservations around the 4th of July. :P But hopefully these won't blow up!

In any case, I have found some 47uF/350VDC caps, and Im wondering if the 3uF difference b/w the 47 and 50uFs is significant, or not?

O/w, the closest I can find to a 50/350 is a 50/450VDC, a 100VDC difference.

Which would be better/worse (depending on how one looks at it) to replace the 50/350 with:
A. the 47uF/350VDC or
B. the 50uF/450VDC ?

who?me?

« Reply #224 on: 25 Apr 2019, 01:21 am »
Ive decided to "go Pro" and post a separate thread on my Triplett 3444 restoration,
IM gonna need help!

audioengr

« Reply #225 on: 25 Apr 2019, 03:06 am »
In any case, I have found some 47uF/350VDC caps, and Im wondering if the 3uF difference b/w the 47 and 50uFs is significant, or not?

O/w, the closest I can find to a 50/350 is a 50/450VDC, a 100VDC difference.

Which would be better/worse (depending on how one looks at it) to replace the 50/350 with:
A. the 47uF/350VDC or
B. the 50uF/450VDC ?

I believe either will be fine, but the higher voltage will probably last longer.  47 versus 50 is a non-issue.

Steve N.

barefootbrewer

« Reply #226 on: 2 Mar 2020, 02:17 pm »
Bottlehead Foreplay kit will be arriving this week. Doesn't seem to be a lot of support for it, because it is so old. But I've hear the manuals are extremely detailed.