Chrome OS Supported in the PCM/DSD DAC Module?

artcook

Chrome OS Supported in the PCM/DSD DAC Module?
« on: 21 Sep 2015, 11:57 pm »
Asking because I use a Chromebox as my music 'server' and want to just use the USB output of the Chromebook into the DAC Module.   I can't find anything in the specs on the DAC that refers to supported Operating Systems.

Also did a forum search before posting this.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Chrome OS Supported in the PCM/DSD DAC Module?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2015, 12:47 am »
I remember this coming up on another board a couple years ago.  I think it was Computer Audiophile and the USB out wouldn't work with the DAC at that time.  Things might have changed :scratch:  I would look over there on Comp Audio. 

What does the maker of you Chrome box have to say?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2015, 03:10 am »
Asking because I use a Chromebox as my music 'server' and want to just use the USB output of the Chromebook into the DAC Module.   I can't find anything in the specs on the DAC that refers to supported Operating Systems.

Also did a forum search before posting this.

Hi artcook,

Welcome to the VR forum!

I am not sure about this - let me look into it for you...

Vinnie

artcook

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2015, 06:13 pm »
Vinnie,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The code writers at Google (chromium@googlecode.com) are working with manufacturers to get the Chrome OS to communicate with their DACs.  Because of the nature of the OS, I don't think the manufacturer and/or model of the Chrome computer makes any difference.  I do think that communication should be important to you because there are about a zillion Chrome OS computers out there already, and their popularity is growing.

Just do a Google search for 'Issue 376011.'

Hope that helps.

p.s.  I plan on bringing my Chromebook to RMAF in a couple weeks.  Just to see what happens.....  :)

Vinnie R.

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2015, 06:16 pm »
Vinnie,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The code writers at Google (chromium@googlecode.com) are working with manufacturers to get the Chrome OS to communicate with their DACs.  Because of the nature of the OS, I don't think the manufacturer and/or model of the Chrome computer makes any difference.  I do think that communication should be important to you because there are about a zillion Chrome OS computers out there already, and their popularity is growing.

Just do a Google search for 'Issue 376011.'

Hope that helps.

p.s.  I plan on bringing my Chromebook to RMAF in a couple weeks.  Just to see what happens.....  :)

Hi Art,

Thanks for letting me know.

Sure - bring your Chromebook over and we'll test it on LIO's dac.

Vinnie