Digital Audio Review (DAR) review of LIO - "KO"mpleted!

Vinnie R.

See:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/04/vinnie-rossi-lio-review-part-1-ultracapacitor-power/

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/05/vinnie-rossi-lio-review-part-2-modularity/

Looks like some prelim tech talk (mainly about the ultracaps), and you gotta love John Darko's pics of LIO!   8)

MORE TO COME...
« Last Edit: 4 May 2015, 04:29 pm by Vinnie R. »

firedog

Re: Digital Audio Review (DAR) review of LIO - part 1 is live
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2015, 04:54 am »
Am waiting for part 2 where he actually reviews the unit.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2015, 07:24 pm »
Am waiting for part 2 where he actually reviews the unit.

Me too!  The nerve of that guy - teasing us and all!  :green: 

He mentioned next week - so looking forward to it!

firedog

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2015, 08:43 am »
Well, he loved the phono section, the headphone amp, the RVC/Tubestage, and the amp. Said getting the equivalent in separates would cost about double or more.

Vinnie does he already have the DAC and  AVC for evaluation in pt. 3?

Vinnie R.

Part 2 is live:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/05/vinnie-rossi-lio-review-part-2-modularity/

The review concludes with a DAR-KO award!   :eyebrows:

I want to give a big THANK YOU to John Darko of DAR for all his time and effort in reviewing LIO, making
detailed comparisons to other gear to give the reader how the LIO modules compete (and offer BIG value!),
as well as taking striking pictures, like this one:

Well, he loved the phono section, the headphone amp, the RVC/Tubestage, and the amp. Said getting the equivalent in separates would cost about double or more.

Vinnie does he already have the DAC and  AVC for evaluation in pt. 3?

Hi firedog,

He does not yet have these modules and mentioned in the comments section at the bottom of Part 2 that
he'll be traveling most of this month.  I plan to ship these to him when he is back in June for a follow up "part 3".

Thank you,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

Re: Digital Audio Review (DAR) review of LIO - "KO"mpleted!
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2015, 04:35 am »
All,

I was just notified that LIO made it to DAR's 'Top 5 products of 2015' list:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/12/dars-favourite-bits-of-2015-part-2/

Thanks again to John Darko - Digital Audio Review!  :dance:

Vinnie

firedog

« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2015, 07:18 am »
Darko did say that he was going to review the DAC at some point. He's also going to review one of the Devialet all in one's, it will be interesting to see how he compares them, as he chose both for awards.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2015, 03:05 pm »
Darko did say that he was going to review the DAC at some point. He's also going to review one of the Devialet all in one's, it will be interesting to see how he compares them, as he chose both for awards.

Hi firedog,

The delay has been my fault.  I am going to send DARKO a LIO DSD/PCM dac + AVC/Tubestage module together. I'm
just waiting for parts to come in to build more AVC/Tubestage modules and then I'll finally ship them to him. 

Cheers,

Vinnie

TomS

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2015, 03:49 pm »
Hi firedog,

The delay has been my fault.  I am going to send DARKO a LIO DSD/PCM dac + AVC/Tubestage module together. I'm
just waiting for parts to come in to build more AVC/Tubestage modules and then I'll finally ship them to him. 

Cheers,

Vinnie
Ha, then he's merely sampled the goodness. This combo should blow him away :thumb:

Vinnie R.

« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2016, 04:04 pm »
All,

DAR just posted the long-awaited PART 3 of his LIO review, here:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/03/vinnie-rossi-lio-review-part-3-dac-avctubestage-combo/

He adds the LIO DSD/PCM dac module as well as the AVC/Tubestage module, and even shows two videos
of him installing the modules into the LIO!

This might be the coolest Part 3 of a saga - and I want to thank John Darko for putting in all the time and big effort
with this one!  I love the pics, the videos, and the Skittles / Smarties fun he had with this one!

Check it out!

Vinnie

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2016, 04:51 pm »
Very nice.  One suggestion is the allen key should be included with the LIO so people don't use pliers.   :duh:

Vinnie R.

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2016, 04:54 pm »
Very nice.  One suggestion is the allen key should be included with the LIO so people don't use pliers.   :duh:

Not an allen key.  It should be a 1/4" socket.

I've been looking for a place that I can buy 50 or 100 of them, but one that is small enough to fit in the accessories box, and
one that doesn't cost too much.

At least John was gentle with those pliers.  That could have gotten ugly!  :o

Vinnie

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2016, 04:56 pm »
Not an allen key.  It should be a 1/4" socket.

I've been looking for a place that I can buy 50 or 100 of them, but one that is small enough to fit in the accessories box, and
one that doesn't cost too much.

At least John was gentle with those pliers.  That could have gotten ugly!  :o

Vinnie

It is now part of my tool box.

Will get used when I install the LIO STREAM...hint,hint.

George

firedog

« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2016, 10:01 pm »
Great review, and he favorably compared it to a Devialet, both in terms of SQ and especially in terms of value.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2016, 12:06 am »
Great review, and he favorably compared it to a Devialet, both in terms of SQ and especially in terms of value.

Hi firedog,

It was the best Part 3 review, ever! (for me, at least).  I love the videos and the Devialet comparos (and comparo's
to the Schiit and Chord dacs was also a nice touch).

For a Part 4, we'll try to get John set up with a LIO super-regulated powered Sonore microRendu / Roon setup!  That should
be the icing on the cake!  :drool:

Actually, maybe even a Part 5, as there are other awesome ideas on the way in 2016  :wink:

Cheers!

Vinnie