BDP-2 Digital Player

Grant Hill

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1720 on: 21 Nov 2016, 04:30 pm »
Hi James,

I think you're talking about Cd player... I was referring to BDP, no drives are involved.

Now it's possible to extracd Iso file from sacds using common Blue ray players like Pioneer and Oppo. That's why it would be useful to play them on a digital player skipping the BR drivers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1721 on: 21 Nov 2016, 05:31 pm »
Hi James,

I think you're talking about Cd player... I was referring to BDP, no drives are involved.

Now it's possible to extracd Iso file from sacds using common Blue ray players like Pioneer and Oppo. That's why it would be useful to play them on a digital player skipping the BR drivers

Oh - sorry - misunderstood - juggling too many threads ! :duh:

Marius

« Reply #1722 on: 22 Nov 2016, 06:57 am »
HI Chris,

previously i thought it was only the BDP1 that threw out the cd at each bootup of the BDP, and that is might have been caused by my fake Bot..

But the BDP2-Bot combo does exactly the same: on each BDP boot the Bot is also acting up and finally throws out the cd. Which is kind of unnecessary to say the least.
Is it possible to just keep it quiet and keep the cd loaded?

Cheers,
Marius

XMAN

« Reply #1723 on: 25 Nov 2016, 08:52 pm »
I've experienced a crash once again after using the buttons on the BDP 2  I had to unplug the unit twice I guess I didn't wait long enough the first time is this being addressed in the next update?  I know others have experienced this as well.
[/quo

Chris or James is there a fix in the works for this I had to reboot both the player and the da it's getting frustrating.   Multiple cold boots and it now doesn't come back on my network .  Plays with usb but will not play spdif

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1724 on: 26 Nov 2016, 03:24 pm »

I have seen mention of it on the forum,but I've never been able to get the front panel controls to lock up.  In regards to the BDP not showing up on the network, I assume your referring to windows or Mac not listing it as discovered network device? If this is the case you should simply try connector the BDP directly using the assigned IP address.

In Windows enter the IP address in an explorer window
//<BDP IP address>/

On Mac go to finder, go menu, connect to server and enter
smb://<BDP IP address>

I might be using the wrong slashes

XMAN

« Reply #1725 on: 26 Nov 2016, 05:23 pm »

I have seen mention of it on the forum,but I've never been able to get the front panel controls to lock up.  In regards to the BDP not showing up on the network, I assume your referring to windows or Mac not listing it as discovered network device? If this is the case you should simply try connector the BDP directly using the assigned IP address.

In Windows enter the IP address in an explorer window
//<BDP IP address>/

On Mac go to finder, go menu, connect to server and enter
smb://<BDP IP address>

I might be using the wrong slashes

Thanks for the reply i got it back up again after a number of reboots it came back on my windows network and the its working again.  In this case i selected a DSD file and USB 1 (on the BDA3) and played the album briefly,  interrupted it by pressing stop, then selected the AES input and tried to play a flac file and total lock up.  I then tried to operated it via my ipad and router with no luck. 

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #1726 on: 26 Nov 2016, 05:53 pm »
So I bought my BDP-1 when they first came out and I think I upgraded my firmware after the first update was published.  Stuff runs ok, should I update my firmware?

zoom25

« Reply #1727 on: 26 Nov 2016, 06:23 pm »
So I bought my BDP-1 when they first came out and I think I upgraded my firmware after the first update was published.  Stuff runs ok, should I update my firmware?

Are you on Manic Moose?

mikemalter

« Reply #1728 on: 27 Nov 2016, 05:10 am »
Code: [Select]
Are you on Manic Moose?
Don't know - how do I find out.  It's been a while.

Thanks.

Mike

Marius

« Reply #1729 on: 1 Dec 2016, 03:54 pm »
Thanks for the reply i got it back up again after a number of reboots it came back on my windows network and the its working again.  In this case i selected a DSD file and USB 1 (on the BDA3) and played the album briefly,  interrupted it by pressing stop, then selected the AES input and tried to play a flac file and total lock up.  I then tried to operated it via my ipad and router with no luck.

I do recognize the lockups, and also some other issue related to the fp. Often i can press the buttons, and the screen indicates lets say a drive selection, but pressing play doesn't do anything, nor does any other. In other words i can browse the menu, but when it comes to a final action, there the famous black Bryston background.... BDP2 seems to be more prone to this, but that might also be related to the fact that my BDP2 won't update the library to an end, end always displays the blue Update i the main screen.

Ive already disabled the Bryston Db, saved and reset the DB, but to no avail. It just went finish the 2 network drives I've connected it to. It does read them (so has right to do so, no issue there) and shows all folders in red.

Too bad really, cause because of this, i cant compare any of the other performance improvements it would have over the BDp1.

Also, like reported before, after each and every reboot, MPD is disabled, and MM signals to check settings.

Should i reset it to factory and try all over Chris, five got the latest beta build installed, as on my BDP1. No issues there.

Cheers,
Marius

mikemalter

« Reply #1730 on: 2 Dec 2016, 04:33 am »
Looking for a NAS for my BDP-1 and was wondering what people were using and making them happy.

Thanks!

Mike

ttsto

« Reply #1731 on: 2 Dec 2016, 07:00 am »
I use QNAP HS-251 with WD RED hdd
Fanless design and very quiet drives allows to keep it in my living room without being disturbed by spin or fan noise

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1732 on: 2 Dec 2016, 02:59 pm »
Looking for a NAS for my BDP-1 and was wondering what people were using and making them happy.

Thanks!

Mike

wdmycloud at work, works well with the BDP-1 & 2, the BDP-Pi seems to require login credentials

mikemalter

« Reply #1733 on: 2 Dec 2016, 07:31 pm »
I use QNAP HS-251 with WD RED hdd
Fanless design and very quiet drives allows to keep it in my living room without being disturbed by spin or fan noise

Thank you!  How long have you had it?  Are you using raid?  How many drives.  Is it plugged into the BDP via usb or network?

mikemalter

« Reply #1734 on: 2 Dec 2016, 07:32 pm »
wdmycloud at work, works well with the BDP-1 & 2, the BDP-Pi seems to require login credentials

Are you attached via usb or network?  Also, how many drives and are you using raid?

Thanks,

Mike

ttsto

« Reply #1735 on: 3 Dec 2016, 08:10 am »
Thank you!  How long have you had it?  Are you using raid?  How many drives.  Is it plugged into the BDP via usb or network?
Hi

I have QNAP NAS for almost a year.
Before I had a Zyxel NAS. This one was noisy due to the fan design but at that moment was not a problem because I could keep it in a dressing far from my listening area. When I moved I looked for a fanless design.

As storage and backup, on NAS I use Raid 0 to create a single space for storing my music. For redundancy I use backup copy on my PC and also on USB hdd.

I use it in network, wired to my router, I don't think can work as USB storage device. 

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1736 on: 5 Dec 2016, 03:48 pm »

The mycloud drives is western digitals line of nas (network) drives.  I use the single drive solution and backup the music to a desktop computer. You should avoid relying on a raid 1 mirror as your primary method of backup, it won't protect you from filesystem corruption, accidental deletion/reformatting, or someone knocking over your NAS.  Some more advance NAS's like the synology have the ability to perform backups to a USB drive, depending on how technicaly savvy you are this could be over your head.  This is one of the reasons i like to recommend the mycloud's, they are one of the simplest NAS's to use (in my opinion).

Cheers,
Chris

mikemalter

« Reply #1737 on: 5 Dec 2016, 08:08 pm »
The mycloud drives is western digitals line of nas (network) drives.  I use the single drive solution and backup the music to a desktop computer. You should avoid relying on a raid 1 mirror as your primary method of backup, it won't protect you from filesystem corruption, accidental deletion/reformatting, or someone knocking over your NAS.  Some more advance NAS's like the synology have the ability to perform backups to a USB drive, depending on how technicaly savvy you are this could be over your head.  This is one of the reasons i like to recommend the mycloud's, they are one of the simplest NAS's to use (in my opinion).

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks for the info.  I do a lot of networking so the technology will not be an issue for me.  Right now I have a single HDD plugged into the BDP-1 via USB.  The NAS is attractive to me because then I can put all of my media files on it that are used by various people and programs and move it into my computer lab.  I'm looking at raid-5.  We share the same thoughts about raid-1.

One point that I need help understanding.  My BDP-1 is on my internal wired network and if my NAS is on the same network, it should be visible to the player, right?  Are there bad sonic consequences using a NAS like this?

Thanks,

Mike

zoom25

« Reply #1738 on: 5 Dec 2016, 08:27 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I do a lot of networking so the technology will not be an issue for me.  Right now I have a single HDD plugged into the BDP-1 via USB.  The NAS is attractive to me because then I can put all of my media files on it that are used by various people and programs and move it into my computer lab.  I'm looking at raid-5.  We share the same thoughts about raid-1.

One point that I need help understanding.  My BDP-1 is on my internal wired network and if my NAS is on the same network, it should be visible to the player, right?  Are there bad sonic consequences using a NAS like this?

Thanks,

Mike

You should really test it out for yourself. I didn't like the sound coming from a network. Plugged directly in is the best. Portable hard drives powered from the BDP-1 directly were better over network. This is apparently followed by SSD (which I haven't tried with the BDP-1), and then further improved by using thumb drives.

I can confirm that the thumb drives were better sounding than my portable WD hard drive. Lots more comment on the 'BDP-2 Performance' thread. I really didn't want it to turn out that way because I have a large library that easily fit on the 2TB hard drive. Now I have to figure out a way to split stuff up over time. Too late to go back, cannot un-hear it.

Try it for yourself, preferably in a long uninterrupted session on each method and then after a few hours go nuts with A/B...but make sure to first get used to the subtle changes.

Pundamilia

« Reply #1739 on: 5 Dec 2016, 09:13 pm »
I tried accessing my music from the network with my BDP-1 and wasn't happy with the results (drop-outs). It was probably my network which is stuck together with HomePlugs to reach my music equipment. Currently, with my BDP-2, I am using a Hitachi external USB plugged directly into it and I also have a backup copy of all the music attached to my server, to access from other devices.

I echo the comments about not relying wholly on RAID 1. I have been running Intel RAID on my desktops for a long, long time and have had very few problems. BUT, one time the RAID setup lost its configuration information and I could not restore it. There is NO substitute for regular, frequent backups.

HTH