Coming soon.....

dspringham

Re: Coming soon.....
« Reply #20 on: 3 Sep 2016, 08:47 pm »
I have a pair of Super Alnico monitors in addition to Daedalus Audio DA-RMA's (large stand mount 3-way system). Previously owned the Harbeth SHL-5 and yes, the Harbeth's do tend to slightly smooth over the edges of poor source material. However they have a very pleasant, rich full-bodied organic sound that is addictive on the right kind of music. The Daedalus house sound is very similar though slightly leaner through the mid-range (more accurate?).

After having the Omega's in my system for extended periods and then subbing in the Daedalus, I find that the Omega monitors sound somewhat
 thin and lacking in body by comparison. Male and female vocals seem to convey less authority. Even with twin Gallo Acoustics subs, I can't get as much fullness out of the SAM's. The Omega highs also seem a bit tipped up by comparison, however the immediacy and detail is very addictive.

I'm guessing that that second driver in your 1.5 system has a big effect on the fullness of the sound. How would you compare your Omega tonal fullness to the Harbeth's?

RDavidson

« Reply #21 on: 3 Sep 2016, 09:15 pm »
Thin sounding? :scratch:
I don't think I've ever seen anyone describe the SAM's (or the Alnico line in general) as thin sounding. I think it may be a synergy or placement issue. Then again, it could just be that you prefer speakers that have more energy in the presence region of their frequency response (or speakers that load your room that way). Nothing wrong with that. That's a trait people often like about some tube amps too.

Maybe describe your system and room. I think that'd better help us understand the situation.

dspringham

« Reply #22 on: 3 Sep 2016, 09:37 pm »
I have a very large, airy listening space - high ceilings, open concept with connections to dining, kitchen and front entrance rooms. Certain speakers I have had in the past (eg. Devore Supers 8's) have tended to sound somewhat thin (especially after the wall-wall carpet was replaced with hardwood) here.

Speaker baffle is about 3 ft. off the front wall, 7 feet separation centre to centre with listening position about 9 feet from front baffle. I wonder if the room is too big for the monitors.

RDavidson

« Reply #23 on: 4 Sep 2016, 03:53 am »
Yes, it appears you have a pretty big and rather reflective room. As a start, you might try sitting closer to your speakers. This way, more direct sound will hit your ears before reflected sound does. I think you may losing some of the coherence / phase correctness of your Omegas and it's messing up their tonality. Same was likely true for the DeVores. I may be wrong, but I believe DeVores have a very minimal crossover and act almost like single driver speakers (but augmented with a tweeter). Regarding fullness, especially when your subs are in use, I'm wondering if you're sitting in a null. This spot might've been OK for other speakers. Harbeths have live cabinets, so they resonate intentionally (as you likely know already). I don't know enough about Daedalus.

Hopefully others will chime in. What amp are you using?

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #24 on: 4 Sep 2016, 06:56 am »
I have a very large open concept room with tile floors, lots of glass and 17' flat ceiling. Thin is the perfect word for just about every speaker I have ever put in it. The bass is shy the mid range is thin and the speakers are always a bit hot on top. My guess is that this is what is going on. The only speakers I have ever gotten to work are GR Research Super V's which are open baffle speakers but they have four 12" servo subs and a huge mid range driver. I don't think you can blame the Omegas for what you are hearing. Just my .01c worth.

Beautiful speakers by the way! Omegas have got to be one of the sexiest speakers I have ever seen.

Guy 13

« Reply #25 on: 4 Sep 2016, 07:19 am »
Hi all, may I share with you my set-up ?
Omega 7F Open Baffle Dipole and H Frame double 12'' Eminence Acoustinator woofers.
My listening room is 13'6'' front X 14' back (Wide) X 13'6'' long and 10' high.
Very little acoustic treatment other than thick carpet, first reflection thick curtains,
back and from thick curtains, the back is semi open to my office, the ceiling is reinforced concrete,
no acoustic treatment.
I don't find my set-up thin or shoutty in the mids-highs.
Not agressive at all.
Yes, I listen near field, that might help.

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

syzygy

« Reply #26 on: 4 Sep 2016, 10:57 am »
Wow, Guy, very cool system!

Beatlebum

« Reply #27 on: 4 Sep 2016, 11:45 am »
D,

I don't find the Omega 1.5's thin sounding at all. Quite the opposite actually and it may be due to the additional driver I don't know as I've never owned the SAM's. Yes the highs, immediacy and detail retrieval on 1.5's is excellent (a must for me BTW) but I would not call them tipped up. In part because of the lack of a crossover I find the 1.5's to be one of the most organic and true speakers I've ever heard. No need for a sub in my system, my room...

The Harbeths are great speakers no doubt, but I prefer a more exciting, open, true to the record I'm playing sonic presentation. Some may call this aggressive or tipped up? The Harbeths offer a more rounded, lush and romantic view of the music. After awhile I kinda found the Harbeths a little dull sounding for me.

My Berning ZH270 is known to be a powerful, open sounding and dynamic amplifier that is brutally revealing of everything upstream. The 270 coupled with the Omega 1.5's provide a wide open sound that I find very enjoyable.

My two cents anyway...

Guy 13

« Reply #28 on: 4 Sep 2016, 11:52 am »
Wow, Guy, very cool system!

Thanks syzygy.
I did not post on this topic for a very long time,
however, I had to share my happiness with my Omega
drivers, even if it's not in an Omega enclosure.
Lots of details, not agressive sounding.

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #29 on: 4 Sep 2016, 02:39 pm »
Is the price of the HO SAM 1.5's available?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 5 Sep 2016, 04:30 pm »
Hopefully others will chime in. What amp are you using?
I think dspringham is running a Sony HAP-Z1ES player and Vaughn Carina amp, so the front end shouldn't be a problem, that is, if player, amp, and speakers are hooked up direct, and the sub isn't daisy chained between amp and speakers.  Also, if the system is connected somehow to a home theater setup or Apple TV, etc. that could be a problem.  dspringham can correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. 

I've run the SAM in two situations:
1) In an acoustically live 13' x 25' x 8'h room on the short wall with a venetian blinded window right behind.  Amp and DAC were Audioengine N22 and D1 DAC.  The sound was rich and full.
2) In a slightly less acoustically live 13' x 17' x 8'h room on the long wall with Audio Sector DAC and Decware Super Zen Select in front.  To this day, I've never heard a better system.  Full and rich with insane imaging along with the most balanced frequency curve with no one area overshadowing the other, allowing incredible detail retrieval.

As far as his room goes, it's generally not a good idea to put a system in front of a window (I also realize this may be his only option).  The adjacent wall might be better.  Also, RDavidson could be right in that the listening position may be in a bass null.  I had the same problem in my 13' x 17' listening room with a system on the short wall and my chair about half way down the room - somewhat lacking in bass.  No such problem on the long wall. 

bummrush

« Reply #31 on: 5 Sep 2016, 05:12 pm »
You sure may Guy. Very nice.Thanks

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 5 Sep 2016, 07:05 pm »
Is the price of the HO SAM 1.5's available?
Correction: Starting at $3195 USD in level 1 finish.
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2016, 03:44 am by Canada Rob »

Louis O

« Reply #33 on: 21 Sep 2016, 08:30 pm »
Hi Beatlebum,

Thanks and so sorry about the late reply.

Many thanks for your post and more importantly I'm very happy you are enjoying your Alnico 1.5 monitors. Your system looks great and really cool turntable. I appreciate your very kind words.

Thanks again,
Louis