Binaural airwaves -- binaural recordings blog

stereocilia

Binaural airwaves -- binaural recordings blog
« on: 25 Nov 2014, 02:04 am »
I think this a neat little site with some headphones-only content and basic info about binaural recording.

http://www.binauralairwaves.com/

(Sorry if this has been discussed before, I didn't see it in a search).

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Binaural airwaves -- binaural recordings blog
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2014, 04:31 am »
Great site with some of the best, and worst, binaural recordings I've heard.  The lead video was great, it seems every binaural recording should have an accompanying video as it really added to the illusion of music in space.  Not nearly as convincing when you listen without watching.  Along with some delightful music made an eye opening experience on how good binaural can be.  I also liked the classical ensemble playing in the church.  Some of the other recordings show off the bane of binaural recording.  Bad music, special effects, and everyday noises.  Much like early stereo demo records, some terribly awful stuff.  But all in all a positive experience that will have me searching out more binaural recordings of good music, thanks for the link.

stereocilia

Re: Binaural airwaves -- binaural recordings blog
« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2014, 03:59 pm »
I suspect the video helps because it gives an additional cue for head position. If I'm wearing headphones, and the person whose ears are mic'd turns her head, or if they don't and I do, then the illusion is broken. There were moments, though, when I had to  take off the headphones and look for the source of a sound that I thought was in my own room, but was actually in the recording.