New Grado RS2i owner

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
New Grado RS2i owner
« on: 17 Nov 2014, 01:31 pm »
Me.  Thanks to Jon and Command Performance Audio.  Very open and direct sound with very low bass response, but in a tight, not overblown way.  I'm comparing them with my Hifiman HE400i, just about a complete opposite as headphones go.  Should be fun, more later.

JohnR

Re: New Grado RS2i owner
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2014, 01:33 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb:

Funny how different 'phones can sound completely different but still be enjoyable to listen to music on.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2014, 02:10 pm »
Mine were almost brutally bright at first.  After some run in and replacing the stock pads with Sennheiser
yellows, they are much better.  Very transparent with a touch of upper midrange forwardness.  They sound
good, but at the same time, sound different from every other headphone I own.
Hibuck....

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2014, 01:32 am »
I have the RS1i's.  And yes a ear pad change out is a must.  I use mine mostly for movie listening.  Just outstanding. :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2014, 05:40 pm »
Congrats on the new cans! The Grado most definitely have a distinct sound, I'll never forget when I heard my first set, I was just sorta shocked that they could sound so different from others.
It may be time for a new pair.....do they look modable? I'm thinking of the lowest model to see how the new sound is.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2014, 04:15 am »
Thanks guys.  No Ed, I'm not looking to mod them.  I bought the model with the wooden cups and upgraded wiring so I wouldn't have to mod them.  But if I had bought some 80s or 125s like I started out to get at the beginning of the other thread, hmmm, forgot about that thread, anyway, yeah, I'd be ripping them apart pdq.

The RS2i is about as different from my Hifiman HE400i as vodka is from merlot.  Both very good in their own settings, but not to be mixed together.  The Grado is direct and clear, with every detail upfront and in your face.  Detail is outstanding, bass is deep and impactful, but not at all overblown.  The whole presentation is best described as clear.  Soundstaging and imaging fall far short of the Hifiman though.  And the Hifiman is much more lush and beautiful.  Making everything fit in with the alcohol reference.  Music you'd listen to while drinking vodka is perfect for the Grado, rock and roll, alternative, jazz fusion, etc all go with the Grado.  Female vocalist, Celtic, softer jazz, classical all go best with merlot and the Hifiman.  Nice to have the options.