Need cheap-ish earbud recommendation

Ericus Rex

Need cheap-ish earbud recommendation
« on: 25 Sep 2014, 12:36 pm »
My Ipod earbuds have died.  I'd like to get some good sounding ones for under $40.  Unfortunately, I cannot use the in-ear type as I have very small ear canals and even the smallest ones just don't fit.  Anything good for so little money?

Thanks!

mcgsxr

Re: Need cheap-ish earbud recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2014, 03:02 pm »
I bought my daughters the low end NuForce in ear (buds not flange types) for Xmas, and they are both happy.

I have tried them, and for a flight somewhere they were good.

Right around your budget.

Cacophonix

« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2014, 09:41 pm »
Some of the jbuds are pretty decent for what you pay. I have a j6 that i find pretty sweet sounding. They are tiny and should easily fit.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2014, 09:52 pm »
Thanks for the recs guys.  Unfortunately, those are the exact style I can't get to fit into my ear properly.  This is the sort of style I require:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRE9LP-BLU-Earbud-Headphones/dp/B004VHF210/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1411682076&sr=1-2&keywords=earbuds+sony

Looks like there are lots of options but most are under $10.  I can't imagine I'll be happy with the sound of a $10 pair of earbuds.  Any recs on this style in the $20-40 range?

ltr317

« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2014, 10:36 pm »
Thanks for the recs guys.  Unfortunately, those are the exact style I can't get to fit into my ear properly.  This is the sort of style I require:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRE9LP-BLU-Earbud-Headphones/dp/B004VHF210/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1411682076&sr=1-2&keywords=earbuds+sony

Looks like there are lots of options but most are under $10.  I can't imagine I'll be happy with the sound of a $10 pair of earbuds.  Any recs on this style in the $20-40 range?

Hi Eric,

Does it have to be earbuds?  I've used Koss Portapros (less than $40 discounted) for travel the past ten years, and they sound superior to any cheapo earbuds I've tried. 

Paul

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2014, 11:05 pm »
Hi Eric,

Does it have to be earbuds?  I've used Koss Portapros (less than $40 discounted) for travel the past ten years, and they sound superior to any cheapo earbuds I've tried. 

Paul

Double down on the Portapros. Only drawback (or a plus in some situations) is that there is absolutely no isolation. I would recommend only buying them direct from Koss as there are many look-alike ripoffs of these out there Amazon, Ebay, etc.. Plus that way you are certain of getting the Koss lifetime warranty.

If you can wait a bit... go to koss.com and signup for their emails at the bottom of the page. You'll get periodic special offers. I regularly see discounts for 10-20% off plus free shipping.

Greed

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2014, 02:41 am »
Zero Audio Tenore's.. make sure you get the CT version and not the CB which are the bass edition. Very good earbud for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/AUDIO-ear-stereo-headphone-Tenore-ZH-DX200-CT/dp/B0093VVP0Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414118439&sr=8-2&keywords=Tenore